Rev's Zed Build

• Moderators

Hey Rev, I'm sure the paint codes were on a small label on the radiator support panel near the bonnet stay. My 260Z one was; it survived all this time! I think all 240Z's codes are on that same spot as well.

yeah acrylic is lot easier to work with but more work involved. hence crash repairers won't use it. cut down heaps of time in detailed polishing which you dont have to do on 2pk.

i used acrylic on most things.

some advantages of it other than whar Rev stated:

1. can spray it so no orange peel.

2. if quality brand used it will outshine 2pk.

3. lot easier to blend if repair is needed.

4. bit more flexible than 2pk so less prone to stone chips.

disadvantages:

1.if not taken care of it will deteriate quickly. needs polishing regularly to keep the shine expcialy if used as a daily.

2.not as durable as 2pk. ie bird dropings and tree sap will stuff acrylic lot easier.

3 takes lot of time and care to get perfect results. also hard to get the nice shine in difficult places.

i did use acrylic but since used 2pk i wouldnt go back. but need better and more expensive equipment ie expensive filter mask. but u can buy good modiefied acrylic 2pk clear these

days. so not as deadly as 2pk but with same results.

most metalic and pearl paints is clear over base.some a 3 layer pearls as well.

base colours dont require clear but they will be the 2pk sort. but u can buy a non 2pk paint base and still have 2pk clear on top.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after fitting the triples some time ago and then finding out that the manifold and linkage system wasn't the best setup for the Zed, I purchase a brand new OEM manifold that is the 'business' (thanks BenZed).  Things were running heaps better but still with problems of running rich with a flat spot on quick acceleration and after a tune before the recent vic cruise, they still had a 'flat' spot also in high revs under load. (the guys from the cruise may remember me lamenting about this!)  But with some great advise from Daniel Moore I purchased and installed some smaller (140) main jets (was running 155) and just took it for a spin and WOW!  my thinking was that there was so much fuel being dumped that it was flooding I could always smell it! I know that the 'nose' isn't the most valid of tuning tools however as soon as I run the carbs with these new main jets it no longer had the heavy fuel smell that normally accompanied heavy acceleration.  Probably still needs a little more tinkering however i think I'm finally getting somewhere! ;D

post-646-144023502536_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023502544_thumb.jpg

One thing I learnt when I had Mauceri Motors sort out my Dellorto problem was the importance of having all 3 accelerator pumps synchronised. If one of the carbys is early or late in squirting the fuel into the venturi when you step on the gas you will get a hesitation. The variation may be in the linkage or the pump jet accuating arm.

Are mikuni jets interchageable with Dellorto's? If so between Sulio, Scootag and myself we have a fair range of jets for plug and play

Warren

Rev,

Well one thing that really helps me in the fine tuning of my carbs is my a/f gauge. Rev, get yourself a $40 VT oxygen sensor and have it mounted in the common pipe of your headers or exhaust. Buy a narrow band afr gauge for $30 mark and you'll see where it's going lean or rich. It's pretty cool as you get an instant readings, ie the gauge goes to lean on acceleration you get a small pop at the carbs so it just confirms your thoughts and you go a little richer on you accel jets etc etc.

You can check mine out on the 19th of Nov at our meeting if you like or sooner if your in the Clayton area in the coming days!?

Sulio

• Administrators

You have become quite the expert on Triples Sulio, I'm impressed. Will have to bring my Mikuni's around to you when I get around to fitting them. Can't wait really, I'm sure I'll love the sound of Triples in the morning :).

Well after fitting the triples some time ago and then finding out that the manifold and linkage system wasn't the best setup for the Zed, I purchase a brand new OEM manifold that is the 'business' (thanks BenZed).  Things were running heaps better but still with problems of running rich with a flat spot on quick acceleration and after a tune before the recent vic cruise, they still had a 'flat' spot also in high revs under load. (the guys from the cruise may remember me lamenting about this!)  But with some great advise from Daniel Moore I purchased and installed some smaller (140) main jets (was running 155) and just took it for a spin and WOW!  my thinking was that there was so much fuel being dumped that it was flooding I could always smell it! I know that the 'nose' isn't the most valid of tuning tools however as soon as I run the carbs with these new main jets it no longer had the heavy fuel smell that normally accompanied heavy acceleration.  Probably still needs a little more tinkering however i think I'm finally getting somewhere! ;D

when you get the carbs sorted you should really get your dizy matched (torque curve) to your cam, that along with correct jetting is quite critical.

You have become quite the expert on Triples Sulio, I'm impressed. Will have to bring my Mikuni's around to you when I get around to fitting them. Can't wait really, I'm sure I'll love the sound of Triples in the morning

The hard part is getting access to all the various jets. The good think about the Dellorto's is between myself Michael in Sydeny, Warren and Scoota I had access to all the jets I needed without having to buy them. I'm pretty happy with em know, have'nt touched the dizzy as will wait til new motor goes in.

Sulio

Man the dollar sux! I was all ready to buy new foam inserts for my seats when......the bottom fell out of the global economy.  So as always necessity is the mother of zed ingenuity!  A trip to Clark rubber, some high density foam and a sharp knife and I'm an instant DIY upholsterer and I am really pleased with the results. Only the drivers chair done at the moment but the passenger is on its way!

post-646-144023502643_thumb.jpg

post-646-14402350265_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023502657_thumb.jpg

post-646-144023502664_thumb.jpg

;D Hey REV you are a dead set freak of nature

Mate if a send down some postage money can you post yourself to me for a couple of weeks

Got some odd jobs for you ;)

pauly 8)

REV THE ZED CAR BUILDER CAN HE FIX IT    "YES HE CAN"

post-828-144023502692_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey rev ,it was a top read and good pics (nice site) ;)

Mate is there anything you cant do ?

With that heat shield under the triples ,did it make much difference

Mine cough and spirt untill the exhaust heats them up, and away they go

where do you get the time to do all these projects (zed. website, etc)

Top job  ;D              pauly 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for a quick update!  I'm on cloud 9 right now because my triple miki's are now doing what they're meant to be doing!  Had the car into Daniel Moore who gave them a thorough going through, fixing the accelerator pumps that were not working on one carb and adjusting the float levels and tuning etc put that together with the installation off the 3.9 diff (out with the 3.5) and now I think I'm armed and dangerous.  Took it for a good 'blat' and I'm still smiling! the only problem now is I keep smelling burning rubber ;) not sure what that is!!! :D  Now all I need is to fix or find another gearbox and I'm about set in the engine/transmission room of the rebuild. Wooohoooooo!