Les Collins 3.6 litre stroker (?)

GongZ

https://www.shannons.com.au/club/enthusiasts/ricki78/garage/1971-datsun-240z-sports/

The largest capacity L-series I have heard of previously is a 3.1 or 3.2 litre, using a (selected) L28 block and an LD28 crank. Can anybody enlighten me as to how (if) this capacity is achievable? (are you there C.A.F.?)

I have been thinking of selling the RB26 setup and getting a Les Collins 3.2L engine.  Although I love the RB my heart is set on the stroker. I think after getting the car to were it is and the JDM styling im going with it would look appropriate to see the L series under the bonnet but its just a thought. What do you guys think?

14 hours ago, GongZ said:

The largest capacity L-series I have heard of previously is a 3.1 or 3.2 litre

A few years ago Rebello in the US did a 3.5l L series using the LD28 block I believe.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/04/the-3-5l-240z-you-didnt-see-coming/

Edited by brent012

3 hours ago, brent012 said:

A few years ago Rebello in the US did a 3.5l L series using the LD28 block I believe.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2018/04/the-3-5l-240z-you-didnt-see-coming/

Haha. They probably worked out the 3.5l using US gallons and it probably made 400 hp or some stupid number like that. 

Big tick for the L series from me. My LCR 3.1 in an L24 block is just a pleasure to drive, pulls like a tractor from low down, sounds great, has plenty of licence loosing potentate. 

Jeff

• Administrators
On 2/14/2021 at 11:14 AM, JDM-TOY said:

I have been thinking of selling the RB26 setup and getting a Les Collins 3.2L engine.  Although I love the RB my heart is set on the stroker. I think after getting the car to were it is and the JDM styling im going with it would look appropriate to see the L series under the bonnet but its just a thought. What do you guys think?

All in the set up. With an RB26 you want quick response. So it's easy to drive. Did you watch the Mighty Car Mods Haltech video? They were pulling power out of it because it was not very street friendly.

9 minutes ago, gav240z said:

All in the set up. With an RB26 you want quick response. So it's easy to drive. Did you watch the Mighty Car Mods Haltech video? They were pulling power out of it because it was not very street friendly.

Yeah I watched the Haltec video, was informative and had me thinking tge same thing 

That’s an good video. When I was planing out my car and I spoke to Les about my plans, he said straight away you need torque and a stroker is the way to go. I wanted a weekend cruiser that I could take to the track if I wanted to and do a few hill climbs etc. wanted to stay with the original diff ratio as it’s better for cruising and stronger. 
I was never going to thrash the car just enjoy it and have a bit of fun but mostly road miles. What I ended up with is spot on. The thing is a tractor 184 lbs-foot at 1500 rpm and max of 260 just under 5000 rpm. 
The most important question to ask one self is what am I going to use the car for most of the time. No point building a space ship that is always lighting up the back wheels if you are only going to drive it to the coffee shop and back on weekends. 

Jeff

EF3A2087-73EE-4F53-8A22-56F9ABC69636.jpeg

• 3 months later...