Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hi all,

I have seen some fantastic cars here, and mine has some way to go before it gets there, but I think it's about time I started a thread about my baby. I have had her for a while and done a few things here and there, but now she's getting some serious attention to her body, and it's one of the forum favourites taking care of it (Lurch). If you're interested in what he is doing, you can check his facebook page (Classic Auto Fabrications). I will probably post a few photos in follow up posts anyway.

 

It all started....

about 15 years ago, I did some night work in Tullamarine with and electrician mate of mine. When we finished up we went out to the carpark and I saw his silver 260Z 2+2 shining under a street light. It took my breath away. So I thought (and dreamed) about the Z for a couple of years. I got married and decided that the two of us needed another car, the Kingswood wouldn't always be enough. And with a 2+2, the kids could sit in the back (when they came along). So getting a 260Z 2+2 made a lot of practical sense.

 

After looking around abit, I found one I liked. 1975 model, January. It was meant to be (Jan 1975 is my wife's birthday). It was almost derelict, on the side of a street, with street-sweeper marks going around it, tyres flat, covered in tree droppings. It had a 5-speed, it had hotwires (I like hotwires), looked straight, no cracks in the dash, nice colour (metallic blue.. my favourite Z colour). I knocked on a few doors in the street and found the owner, and soon enough I parted with $1400 and had myself a Zed. I even drove it home (after a jump start, with a mate driving ahead of me... actually, now that I think about it.. I think he towed me, yep, that's why he was ahead of me... so I didn't drive it afterall!).

 

So I have had it about 13 years now.

A nice bonus was that it already had an L28. The owner had told me that he had replaced the engine (you have to do that if you drive around without oil for too long!), but I didn't know it was an L28 when I bought it.

 

So, since then, the things I have done (or had done.. that I can rememeber):

 

Rebuilt original 260Z flattop carbs (Thanks Steve Newing from Speed Technology), ok for a bit, then

Found some 240Z carbs and got Steve Newing to install those for me, along with a mild street cam.. and a rebuild of the N42 head.

Found a 240K gearbox and put it in with new clutch (it had a Ford clutch in it!)

Gas struts into rear suspension. I think I cried trying to get the spindle pins out.

Replaced a few rubbers here and there,

Fixed the clock (replaced the dodgy transistor and a few old caps and presto... that was eight years ago and she's been going strong ever since)

Fixed the rear defogger (i.e. mounted a 12V camping hairdryer at one of the rear gas strut mounts, works well)

Got a backyard cashie done on the interior. Ok for now. Will do a better job one day.

Had the engine rebuilt

Took her across the Nullarbor and back (had a wedding at Margaret river). I loved the drive. My at-the-time-pregnant wife was a little less enthusiastic about it though. The Nullarbor was a great place for a photo.

I had some trouble with the gearbox at Esperence, so when I got back I sent the original 5-speed up to Stewart Wilkins in Sydney for a rebuild, and in she went when she got back.

 

A couple of weeks ago I drove it to Yarragon and spent the day with Lurch pulling bits off it to get at the rust, some bits are good, some need attention. He has been working on it since and has posted a few photos on his facebook page. Not sure how he gets the curves and bends right, but he has done some nice work.

I am leaving the engine bay out of the current restoration works (any necessary rust repairs will be done, but no fancy paint job). I am taking care of a few bit and pieces while Lurch does the serious work. The bumper bars are looking like somewhere between $1300 to repair and replate (copper, nickel, chrome).. and that doesn't include new rubbers and bumper bolts ($60 for a pack of 10 from Nissan).

 

So there you have it. When she's done I have to make sure I get along to an auszcar outing. And I will post again as she goes.

 

Eric

 

post-1049-144023723362_thumb.jpg

post-1049-144023723367_thumb.jpg

post-1049-144023723374_thumb.jpg

post-1049-144023723377_thumb.jpg

  • Administrators
Posted
I think I cried trying to get the spindle pins out.

 

Welcome, I think I can relate to this, although I don't recall crying there was probably lots of swearing and I'm sure I managed to mangle a couple of them with the hammer. I now know better of course and would use a tool designed to 'press them out' but what fun is that anyway? Love the photo at the Nullarbor.

 

Looking forward to seeing this Zed at a meeting in the future.

 

 

 

  • Moderators
Posted

Welcome..

Nice zed! Same colour as my first 260. Those spindle pins can push you to the limit and one notch over; Great thing to go through as it prepares you for parenthood. Anger management.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

An update!

 

After a bit of an issue with my preferred spray painter (his 'beater' called it quits, right before I was due to take it in), and losing nearly a month while I waited for them to find a solution,

I was forced to do the final panel prep & filling myself (along with an ex-panel beater mate who lives just up the road).

 

The two of us spent this past weekend (2.5 days) straightening the body, filling it & getting it to a stage where the shop could prime it.

I was VERY pleased see it in tinted primer this afternoon. Apparently it'll be painted in a couple of weeks... :)

 

1383502_645048562194348_1445976253_n.jpg

 

996021_645048605527677_33833763_n.jpg

 

1383296_645048638861007_1688954398_n.jpg

 

1376436_645048718860999_1446303190_n.jpg

 

1380497_645048728860998_1734867764_n.jpg

 

1394068_645048755527662_1627652661_n.jpg

 

1378800_645594022139802_492659758_n.jpg

 

553834_645594282139776_1974869466_n.jpg

 

954897_645594408806430_1266154223_n.jpg

 

1380414_645594498806421_1002816542_n.jpg

 

;D ;D ;D

 

 

  • 2 months later...
Posted

Well since Eric has been a little slow on posting photo's up, here's a few from last Saturday when he picked his Zed up:

 

Wet sanding completed:

 

1461150_673432912689246_848842432_n.jpg

 

Colour on!

 

580813_673432959355908_828824520_n.jpg

 

Completed bar the bumpers!!!

 

999226_680821178617086_223478842_n.jpg

 

993508_680821165283754_1078092486_n.jpg

Posted

Thanks for posting the photos Lurch.

I will post more when I finish putting it together (though that might be a little while yet... right now I get about an hour a night when the kids have finally nodded off... in the dark, with very hungry mozzies...)

I have the bumpers back from the repairer/plater and they look great. I have assembled the front one and started putting it on (note to all: the left and right mounting brackets are not interchangeable).

I will take some more photos when I have the bumpers on, the wheels polished, badges on, bonnet/doors/etc aligned, and a few other cosmetic tidy-ups. There is the interior to put back together too, but that won't stop me from taking a few shots.

 

I am pretty happy with Lurch's work, and the painting. Pricewise, not bad considering how much work it needed (there's no impending divorce so everyone is happy).

 

And I too must admit I like the metallic blue (obviously). A friend of mine has a silver colour (from the factory, I am sure) that also looks really great.

 

I'll get back with some more photos soon,

Eric

 

  • 3 months later...
Posted

Eric finally sent me some proper DSLR photo's today, of it all back together with the bumpers on etc.

 

All I'll say is that I'm over the moon at the result! :D

 

10247387_740738932625310_2710518730686171150_n.jpg

 

10153837_740738999291970_5914589703560377145_n.jpg

 

10154152_740738855958651_6628971276193102665_n.jpg

 

10175975_740739192625284_7835676206427022876_n.jpg

 

10013944_740739385958598_6896100798409912959_n.jpg

 

10150611_740738542625349_2485422690649264327_n.jpg

 

10246316_740738509292019_3813681500603074087_n.jpg?oh=1f3894602215e18dbab5d97dbcf6c9d9&oe=53D69878&__gda__=1406104362_5cd8e7df7473252546ac20a81ea06457

 

10001458_740738692625334_3800531685971965513_n.jpg

 

10155837_740739345958602_7761885430180719567_n.jpg

 

FWIW the paint hasn't even been 'cut' yet - the joy of modern 2-pac paints!

 

So from this:

969372_608970625802142_23890725_n.jpg

 

To this:

10153837_740738999291970_5914589703560377145_n.jpg

 

 

 

  • Administrators
Posted

Night and day, what a result. That is 1 of my favorite colours for the 2+2s. The other is the metallic green colour.

  • Moderators
Posted

Great work, the car looks fantastic - more than a little jealous  ;)

Posted

Thanks Gav :)

 

Great work, the car looks fantastic - more than a little jealous  ;)

 

I'm working on fixing 'that issue' for you... ;)

  • Moderators
Posted

Thanks Gav :)

 

I'm working on fixing 'that issue' for you... ;)

 

Yep, I know, happy for you to publish if you wish.  :)

Posted

Thanks for posting the photos Lurch.

She does look good, I love driving her.

Someone scratched it within two weeks of getting it back, would you believe it!

I was suffering there for a few days, but I think I am over it. It should clean up ok. I think I am the only one that has noticed it.

 

I have been trying to decide on whether to put the side stripes back like it had before the repairs. If I ask what everybody here thinks, I know what they would say. There wouldn't be too many saying 'GREAT IDEA!!' but I always liked them.

 

Bumper bars came out well. They cost me a little over $1k to repair, strip, copper, nickel, chrome plate. Then a few hundred bucks for the rubber. It was worth it though.

 

Eric

post-1049-144023748128_thumb.jpg

  • Moderators
Posted

I have been trying to decide on whether to put the side stripes back like it had before the repairs. If I ask what everybody here thinks, I know what they would say. There wouldn't be too many saying 'GREAT IDEA!!' but I always liked them.

 

Eric

 

Gidday

 

Truthfully I don't like the side stripes, but hey it is your car - do what you want - not what someone else wants you to.

 

Cheers

 

PB

Posted

My worry is that I will put them on, get them crooked, strip the paint off trying to get them off, and screw it all up!

I might never have the courage to try putting them on.

 

Gidday

 

Truthfully I don't like the side stripes, but hey it is your car - do what you want - not what someone else wants you to.

 

Cheers

 

PB

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...