250z tail light idea- photoshop

chartoo

I love the 240z tail lights and i also love the 260z tail lights BUT what if there was a 250z model.

Here is a photoshop I did. Now the interesting thing is you can buy clear indictor lenses. If you could plastic weld the orange and clear lenses together you could easily make this up. What do you think?

post-515-14402365804_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

How good is the lense paint? I want it to look like the orginal not a cheap paint over. Here is what the lenses look like installed

What I don't like about the 260z rear lights compared with the 240z ones is...

1. They have too much chrome around them.

2. They have a sunken in design, where as the 240z ones pop out.

3. The separate reverse lights. Which it looks like you'll eliminate.

I also like the 240z rear lights because they are very period tail lamps and remind me of the DeTomaso Panterra rear.

7122006Red28b.jpg

Any reason why you don't want to just install 240z rear lights?

Sulio did it with his 260z and from memory there was some minor cutting involved. I guess finding 240z rear lights is the tough part though?

Any ideas about  the plastic welding?

My dad used to use some chemicals to bond vinyle together when he was a vinyle layer but I think butt plastic welding could work. But i dont know how good it would look after the welding...?

Any have any exp with plastic welding?

I bought one of these plastic welders and it will not be good enough to weld this as it uses hot air and blows it around and then you roll the 2 hot molten surfaces together looks very rough until you grind it clean, places that do plastic welding do it another way and can do a better finish, hoops that we have had done just leave a black plastic line between them, but the colour of the weld depends on what colour filler rod you use.

I paid $60 for mine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Plastic-Welder-Gun-Hot-Air-Gas-PVC-Vinyl-Weld-Rod-/260919752124?pt=AU_Welding&hash=item3cc00775bc

The only way to do this if you are looking at blending Amber and clear together is to but a clear fillet piec between the 2 sections then weld the 2 sections to it, this will stop the blead of color across to the other section and also reinforce the 2 sections.

Yes it is possible to weld, I use a simple soldering iron.

Cheers

John

if you want to cut and shut lenses if you visit plastic mob (ie people that sell polycarbonate and acrylic sheets)

We got few in Adelaide one of them is  http://www.acrilixplastics.com.au/about_us.htm

i believe the lenses are either polycarbonate or acrylic. there is a special glue that glues these plastics together quite well. i used it at my previous work making test equipment. its clear and dries rock hard.

just found it its called Acri Bond 110. tube is approx $17

http://www.acrylictech.com.au/MSDS-110.html

trick would be to cut it perfectly. polish the cut edges and thin layer of the glue and u have your integrated lenses.

than you have to make a divider between indicator and reverse light (paint or stick reflective vinyl. reposition the lamp hole for indicator and cut a new one for reverse light.

possible. bit of stuffing around and experimenting on expensive clear lenses.

also u need to plug the old holes where original reverse light were. bit of plastic welding and repainting.

Call me the eternal dreamer, but I love a good thread that pushes the boundaries of modification and this one got me thinking again, last time I thought about alternatives the Mustang tail lamps caught my eye, but this time while surfing I found something that may work really nicely, so who wants to have a got at Photo Shopping these puppies onto the rear of a S30?

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023659608_thumb.jpg

post-1356-14402365962_thumb.jpg