2013 Nationals, who from Q is going?

260DET

Green flag = end of first lap  :)

Actually for a Nationals I support the use of Morgan Park. The main problem I have is the use of the comfort zone circuits with the suburban street type corners and not the real race circuits where speed is involved. My understanding is that most of the visitors would prefer the faster options too.

Comfort zone?

It was noted your lack of gloves or a HANS device at PI, yes for a club level lapdash, not required, yet!

For the circuit i am sure you are reffering to at Map, ie after bridge TR, then SO ( road on right) follow main road, may invoke a CAMS requirement in regards to higher driver attire standards and persinal safety eqipment.

The so called "comfort zone" you refer to, ie the NDN 2009 2.1 km circuit, seemed to get plenty of positive feedback, if the new extension was added, ie the full perimeter layout, this will most certainly satisfy the "fifth gear" speed freaks, and still keep it relatively safe.

Unless WDSCC has changed their stance, TR under bridge then SO wont be permitted due to the much higher terminal speeds going into the extension.

It's a safety thing.

Imagine this, you are at Lakeside through the kink, about to hit brakes fir Karrousell, and your front tie rod breaks, are you safe, in your current lapdash attire?

Stay tuned to Tetley, announcements soon about personal safety equipment being made available, at a Tetley price!

But wasn't PI great!!!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The MP circuit you mention Jason has been run before, I was there spectating and it was great. Bill Campbell seems quite keen on using it but I get the impression that it 'does not suit' a lot of the MP regulars, not sure why.

PI was great, it's so wide and fast, love every sweep and corner. Would like to go again but not for a bloody regularity :)

Ok, lets get you licensed up, it's not hard, and later in year is Island Magic!

3 days of racing,

You'd be in with the Open Spirts Cars class,, ( john mckeon has run there, plenty of the mx5's and PSRCA boys)

but you'd need to hustle along, as they could run the 125% rule.

Or just buy a group S car, go drum brake racing!

3days next March!

I dont think its a WDSCC issue, it is a cams permit issue

Bill has run the TR after bridge, ther TR into Esses, quite a few times now. Sprints and HRCC practice stuff.

I get the impression that it 'does not suit' a lot of the MP regulars, not sure why.

Not trying to start an argument and not that I'm a MP regular, but am a Wakefield Park regular which perhaps is the closest comparison we have in NSW.

Anyway, the reason I like Wakefield Park and liked the MP track that was run at the nats in 2007, and like the new, shorter, tighter South Circuit at Eastern Creek is that for some of us (ie those without big-hp engines) these tracks can be more challenging than places like the GP circuit at Eastern Creek, PI, even Mt Panorama. As much as I hate to admit it, for me (only 100hp) at PI, coming around from MG, onto the main straight and down thru the first corner are all flat out, foot-to-the-floor stuff. I don't lift off at all from MG until turn 2. Yeah, the speed is nice (I can get to 180k's on a good lap  ::)  ), but to be honest, the skill level required isn't as high for this part of the circuit - my limiting factor as far as speed at the end of the straight is how much momentum I can carry through MG.

Basically, the shorter, tighter circuits give me more of a challenge than the longer, faster circuits. Perhaps that is the "why" in your question - the reason each driver prefers a particular circuit may be down to their car of choice. Less powerful car, you get your jollies by stringing together a perfect run through lower speed corners by utliising your skill and the cars handling (becasue handling is all you've got...). High powered cars, you prefer a circuit where you can unleash those horsepower.

Would like to go again but not for a bloody regularity :)

Not sure why the hate for regularity either - as an example (and again, not having a dig), you've still got 14 seconds improvement before there is any sort of limit on you / your car in the PI 6 hour, for instance (with their 1:50 cutoff lap time). Just because its regularity, doesn't mean you have to go slow - just ask Lee Faulkner  ;D

No problems Dave, I can see your point about circuit choice and it's entirely valid, your previous comments about Lakeside come to mind too. To be fair to all though I think that a the best circuit for a Nationals is one that has something for everyone and I believe that the circuit Jason and I have in mind does that. The other thing is that to me a race circuit should have at least some of the characteristics of the world class circuits which includes fast, flowing and high speed challenging parts. Otherwise what is it? Some sort of enlarged gokart track?

On regularities, I hope to do one at Bathurst next year just to experience that track so I am not totally against them. It's more the time thing, a few laps at a time does me, driving round and round for more than that becomes boring as you slow down to preserve the car.

Not trying to start an argument and not that I'm a MP regular, but am a Wakefield Park regular which perhaps is the closest comparison we have in NSW.

Anyway, the reason I like Wakefield Park and liked the MP track that was run at the nats in 2007, and like the new, shorter, tighter South Circuit at Eastern Creek is that for some of us (ie those without big-hp engines) these tracks can be more challenging than places like the GP circuit at Eastern Creek, PI, even Mt Panorama. As much as I hate to admit it, for me (only 100hp) at PI, coming around from MG, onto the main straight and down thru the first corner are all flat out, foot-to-the-floor stuff. I don't lift off at all from MG until turn 2. Yeah, the speed is nice (I can get to 180k's on a good lap  ::)  ), but to be honest, the skill level required isn't as high for this part of the circuit - my limiting factor as far as speed at the end of the straight is how much momentum I can carry through MG.

Basically, the shorter, tighter circuits give me more of a challenge than the longer, faster circuits. Perhaps that is the "why" in your question - the reason each driver prefers a particular circuit may be down to their car of choice. Less powerful car, you get your jollies by stringing together a perfect run through lower speed corners by utliising your skill and the cars handling (becasue handling is all you've got...). High powered cars, you prefer a circuit where you can unleash those horsepower.

Not sure why the hate for regularity either - as an example (and again, not having a dig), you've still got 14 seconds improvement before there is any sort of limit on you / your car in the PI 6 hour, for instance (with their 1:50 cutoff lap time). Just because its regularity, doesn't mean you have to go slow - just ask Lee Faulkner  ;D

Hi Dave,

Must say you have much bigger balls then me because I must confess that I was lifting off at the end of the PI straight and coasting around corner 1 as my car felt very unstable coming into that corner, but I did enjoy the back part of the circuit greatly. I also agree with your comment about regularity, for me at PI and also at Mount Panorama in 2010 doing a regularity event at both venues with 50+ other competitors on the track with some at PI aiming for sub 2 second laps it was the closest thing to real door to door racing, without being "racing". At Mount Panorama even with the 3 speed auto still fitted my car was reaching 200k coming down Conrod Straight before I started lifting off, that was fast enough for me without a roll cage. I thought the 6 hour team event at PI was excellent, but it was a shame that half way through the rain started to bucket down. Also we ran it with each team member having around 10+ minutes session before handing over to the next team member. Bloody Lee earned our team a 10 lap penalty even before the event started by going under 1:50 during practice.

Ok, lets get you licensed up, it's not hard, and later in year is Island Magic!

3 days of racing,

You'd be in with the Open Spirts Cars class,, ( john mckeon has run there, plenty of the mx5's and PSRCA boys)

but you'd need to hustle along, as they could run the 125% rule.

Or just buy a group S car, go drum brake racing!

3days next March!

I dont think its a WDSCC issue, it is a cams permit issue

Bill has run the TR after bridge, ther TR into Esses, quite a few times now. Sprints and HRCC practice stuff.

Unfortunately Richard's car doesn't comply with 2B rules because of the vg motor. To comply an L series engine would have to go back into the car. And yes, with the gt cars competing the 130% rules is used and to qualify you need to be under 2 minutes unless you get special dispensation, and being a p player newbie doesn't count, you would have to prove that you and your car regularly go round well within the 130% time limit.

Hi Dave,

Must say you have much bigger balls then me because I must confess that I was lifting off at the end of the PI straight and coasting around corner 1 ..........my car was reaching 200k coming down Conrod Straight before I started lifting off

Don't know about ball size, I'd say its more speed-related - mine would only reach 180 down Conrod Straight, same (or maybe a touch less) down the straight at PI. I hit pretty much top speed around the Start / Finish line at PI,  it just won't go any faster  :(

Unfortunately Richard's car doesn't comply with 2B rules because of the vg motor. To comply an L series engine would have to go back into the car. And yes, with the gt cars competing the 130% rules is used and to qualify you need to be under 2 minutes unless you get special dispensation, and being a p player newbie doesn't count, you would have to prove that you and your car regularly go round well within the 130% time limit.

Get several VG motors for one hot L series after having a chat with Peter Mac from Collins engines at the Nats  :o Living in Vic would help too.

Watch out, plenty of cars start out to be dual purpose but one day you realise it's no longer a road car. You and your black beauty may be next  :o

The bloke who took the pic is giving away free high res copies and has some for car's #33, 63 and 136. From memory #33 is Alan Fielding's car, anyone have email addresses for any of the drivers?

Get several VG motors for one hot L series after having a chat with Peter Mac from Collins engines at the Nats  :o Living in Vic would help too.

It only hurts when you have to pay for it and im hoping that will only have to happen once...  ::)

The bloke who took the pic is giving away free high res copies and has some for car's #33, 63 and 136. From memory #33 is Alan Fielding's car, anyone have email addresses for any of the drivers?

Hi I'm the fella mentioned above. I mainly hang out at aus300zx.com (BigCol there too) but thought I'd join up and post some images. I was only at PI from midday til 2, and mainly supporting my fellow Z32 owners, but managed to snap a few nice pics of non-z32's as well. I hope you enjoy them!

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F105_3442.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2701.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2725.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2775.JPG

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2792.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2905.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2912.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_2994.JPG

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_3002.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_3014.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F104_3023.jpg

main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=300zx+Stuff%2FAus300zx%2F2013_03_30+-+Nissan+Nationals+Track+Day%2F105_3610.jpg

Hi I'm the fella mentioned above. I mainly hang out at aus300zx.com (BigCol there too) but thought I'd join up and post some images. I was only at PI from midday til 2, and mainly supporting my fellow Z32 owners, but managed to snap a few nice pics of non-z32's as well. I hope you enjoy them!

Great shots!

Any pics of #280 Col?

Great Shots Colin, you would of had  a ball at the show and shine on the Sunday . There are more photos on here. Cheers Gordon.

Actually I was there from 9am til about 1pm. Was going to show my car as a few NDSOC guys said on Sat there weren't going to be many Z32's so left melb at 6am, got rained on driving down, cleaned it again when I got to PI, then by 9am saw that there were a) enough z32's and b) more cars wanting to show than spots available, so I stood aside. Didn't take any pics though as I saw heaps of people walking around with cameras. Just enjoyed looking over some great cars and chatting to people!

Great shots!

Any pics of #280 Col?

I went back and checked but unfortunately I don't even have a fuzzy one for you :-(