72 240Z ZG tribute "The everchanging Z project" Christine

Wrecking my s15 is taking lot of my time. Lot of time wasters to deal with and lot of packaging and posting stuff.

So yeah things have slowed down a bit. And probably for couple more weeks as i finaly get to sort out my workshop and fit the z back in out of the elements.

Plus still working on the house got to keep the missus happy

Hahaha.

I spent the whole weekend fixing all the foibles from installing the L34 in my car. It's a freakin' factory motor with standard mounts and i still spent two days just fixing bits and pieces after the first drive.

Looking good. My z almost ate the bucket today too. Was jacking up the rear, put some stands on the back end of the floors. Took the jack away, walked away a few meters and turn around to see the Z balancing perfectly on the two stands. Derp! Forgot there was 0 weight in the front end since everything had been pulled out haha.

Also think you need to change your sig so the 180sx is also a type X tribute... We don't wanna go through that again

Haha Johnny you are crazy doing that yourself, you will end up on a Workcover commercial. Would have been a fair bit lighter without doors, hatch and glass, even bare I was surprised how much the damn things weigh! Definitely need four strong guys to lift a zed. What made you opt for the trolley rather than rotiserrie? Would have thought the BBQ chicken would have made it a bit easier. Keep it up! :) But don't kill yourself with the zed! ;D

Ryan

Re: type x . Shut up.  :P dont you start. Its also specR lol its meant to be a confusion. This one will be more of a s15 than type x anyway

Re: z well what can I say tree stumps are not car stands shouldn't use them.

Alex

Trolley is only till I get the front rails on. If i put the rotisserie now the towers will just get ripped off.

So it is going on the spit as soon as rails are on and front all tied up and welded.

Trolley is also made for my other car where i don't need a rotisserie. Want a higher working area and easier access under the car. plus will make assembly of suspension bit easier.

Well its on. It is rear biased but there is no rad support or rails. Got few weights on the front to make sure its safe. Though rear still mostly intact.

Nato my missus looks after me when im working on cars. no one can make my missus happy besides me.  8) she helps with cars but wont paint the house doors go figure.

Finally Z in the workshop, workshop half cleaned other half when my missus orders me new storage rack system.( See I told you she looks after me, hopefully in before the weekend.)

5EA36716-3A17-4A99-8982-27DA88F6D018-1892-00000252433C0A91_zps89b70311.jpg

67CE51BC-2EB4-4A1E-AB6D-861CE1ADA9A0-1892-000002525F94BB16_zps99a8408e.jpg

DFBFE247-C77D-4999-88AC-0A9F92C6FCE9-1892-0000025269040C49_zpsf9f92613.jpg

Now back on the 180sx this weekend then when the racking system is in and rest of the workshop cleaned, work on the rails will start.

slowing down stupid daylight saving suck in winter. 

• 2 months later...

This is still alive still parts collecting (arguing with the missus as she don't believe in getting parts when available but when needed. doesn't understand that don't work for old cars)

so few goodies arrived from Japan.

ZG nose from Restored via Otomoto. all i can say its freaking masterpiece. Worth EVERY $1 extra compared to the other one available.  Its so nice that i don't want to put it on the car just want to look at it as it is.

Brackets, bolts instruction manual all included. nutserts installed even the original markins for bolt holes for the ac guides are showing on the lower section and markings for number plate brackets. If this doesn't fit properly than your car is twisted  ;D .

C4CD3334-57EE-4A23-BC62-4C6989B6EE8A-863-000000EABAA561BF_zps74fdb6bd.jpg

F8775405-8811-479C-930C-52511FFF5C4C-863-000000EAC5AF9DF8_zpsfb238dbc.jpg

BF23C94B-7190-4585-A6B0-08E3DC8E7144-863-000000EAD0C6DB27_zps017ddb01.jpg

6CEDCE45-6113-4EE7-BDEF-9583B55D25D0-863-000000EADDA8B769_zps47769f4b.jpg

7C6B7887-C32D-422E-B5FF-8CCC1D049033-863-000000EAE5A6D174_zpsc3b61208.jpg

also got a Works front lip. to go with it not through otomoto someone else directly from japan. these are non flared version and i think this particular on eis not evena zg nose version as end needs bit of work to fit but not hard. i like it as it has dimples as the flares so ties in with the theme. concern i got is maybe bit too low and adds another 10cm to allready looooooong nose. but should keep the front end lift down at high speed. than again it looks so clean without any lips and finish is so good that doesn't need hiding.

B5A4EDB8-8645-471A-859C-F0358D258DB0-863-000000EAEE0999C2_zps3aec7b28.jpg

FEDA4B31-1074-4CBD-95F8-97115BC3C10F-863-000000EAF606AF06_zps92395570.jpg

Now these are unique. Not sure about history of them but they are not home made replicas. The scale is printed exactly the same as factory gauges. now must be rare factory or custom items as I paid a small fortune for these two out-bidding hardcore Japanese bidders.

Just had to have it. 

A must for my 240ZG I think  :P they are in 260Z style housings but swap over into 240z housings to suit 240z dash. So if anyone knows any history about it let me know. im asuming they were of a S31 (aka 260Z models in japan as they still called them Fairlady Z) but never seen any info on them or pics on the net.

But to me they look factory made as even the tape around the bezel looks exactly the same as my other stock gauges. Be interesting to find out if they are works gauges or something like that.

C14D759F-2F9F-40D4-A1CA-24248898EEAE-863-000000EDFB43BED6_zps84b9be54.jpg

5E858E45-B5EA-4EDF-B5D2-A59B6E65E964-863-000000EE1D76A339_zps8953a3f6.jpg

yeah i know 10K rpm and 300kmh speedo bit wanky but  i guess an incentive to do more engine work so the scales get a proper use  :P :P :P

besides the rear trim and few little items got all the bits. just time to start putting it all together.

• Moderators

That G-Nose looks great! If I ever stuff mine, I'll know where to go  ;)

I'm after that exact spoiler too... I'm afraid to ask how much... if you can PM me that'll be great. Is another one easy to get?

Coming along well!

Here's a pic of a factory works race car gauge...

2q83jhd.jpg

That's an adjustable rev-limit indicator tachometer from a factory Works rally car ( hence the low upper reading ). These were also sold to the general public as Nissan 'Sports Option' accessories, and were designed to be used with transistor electronic ignitions. The hand-drawn red line was added by one of the curators at Nissan's Heritage Collection in an effort to dissuade temporary caretakers and transport guys from revving the tits off the thing when no-one was looking...

Similar... was yours built for s20 maybe? They all had 10k tachs..

Factory Works race cars with S20 engines all used cable-driven mechanical tachometers.

Now these are unique. Not sure about history of them but they are not home made replicas. The scale is printed exactly the same as factory gauges. now must be rare factory or custom items as I paid a small fortune for these two out-bidding hardcore Japanese bidders.

Just had to have it. 

A must for my 240ZG I think  :P they are in 260Z style housings but swap over into 240z housings to suit 240z dash. So if anyone knows any history about it let me know. im asuming they were of a S31 (aka 260Z models in japan as they still called them Fairlady Z) but never seen any info on them or pics on the net.

But to me they look factory made as even the tape around the bezel looks exactly the same as my other stock gauges. Be interesting to find out if they are works gauges or something like that.

C14D759F-2F9F-40D4-A1CA-24248898EEAE-863-000000EDFB43BED6_zps84b9be54.jpg

5E858E45-B5EA-4EDF-B5D2-A59B6E65E964-863-000000EE1D76A339_zps8953a3f6.jpg

They might have been made by Kanto Seiki ( they accepted private commissions / rebuilds / custom mods ) or modified by a similar instruments maker, but I very much doubt they are anything directly to do with Nissan or their Works race & rally cars. Much more likely to be a custom job for a 'Hashiriya'...

Judging by the way the scales are laid out, the internals are stock production or very close to being stock. That would mean that they probably wouldn't be particularly accurate in use ( especially the speedo ). Something you might need to keep an eye on. 

There have been quite a few people making similar in Japan over the last few years. There's one very slow but very good old guy who has been taking special commissions for custom screenprints and re-jigs of existing instruments. Some of these have been turning up on the auctions with iffy descriptions. Same guy made the internals and face for the mechanical tacho in my KPGC10.   

Thanks Alan your insight and info.

Yead didnt think these were 432 ones seen them and know what they look like.

These like you  said look like they made by kanto as no evidence of them being tampered or previously disassembled.

And make sense that these were custom ordered. As listing was sketchy but still had to fight hard for them and pay more than ppl would ever for two gauges.

I just liked them and had to have it so went for broke and put a silly high bid. Got the 240kmh 432 speedo but tacho is bit of a pain to locate.

Btw theres a 432 for 40k in need bit of work still a bargain though. Check yahoo

• Administrators

Wow, what can I say those gauges are awesome. I love period correct rare stuff like this, and particularly like the 6 o'clock starting position on them. Very racer or as Alan would put it 'Hashiriya' style ;).

arguing with the missus as she don't believe in getting parts when available but when needed. doesn't understand that don't work for old cars

LOL, yeah it's kind of a sick disease to be honest, I find all kinds of rare parts on eBay / Gumtree etc.. and I just have to have it because it's rare and hard to find. I actually complain to my g/f that I've been spending lots of my money on cars but in reality it's not really on maintenance items, rather it's on uber-rare impulse buy stuff oops!

It's weird I think half the fun is finding the rare stuff that nobody has....

Really like the G-nose and I love the lower lip, I think it just sets if off.

Can't wait to see how this looks when it's all fitted up.

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

There have been quite a few people making similar in Japan over the last few years. There's one very slow but very good old guy who has been taking special commissions for custom screenprints and re-jigs of existing instruments. Some of these have been turning up on the auctions with iffy descriptions. Same guy made the internals and face for the mechanical tacho in my KPGC10.   

Alan, is this the guy who does the custom silkscreening and re-jigs of existing instruments?

http://www.ks-sp.co.jp/yonrin_nissan/z_s30.htm