Rota RB 17x8.5

matsdat

I have searched thoughtout this website, hybridz etc about offsets, backspacing, PCD and the like to find out whether Rota 17x8.5 rims with +4 offset will fit on all four corners of my 240z with no flares and coilovers(coming soon).  Does anyone have any experience with these wheels or can offer any advice on whether they will fit without rubbing.  I will be rolling guards, would prefer not to pump them if it isnt necessary and at worst may be able to camber the wheels with the coilover setup.  Will these wheels fit without flares or rubbing? Advice much appreciated. 

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Thanks for the feedback gents.

I had a look at the second page on the hybridz link and he's lowered the car; anything wider than a 225 and I will more than likely need to roll the lip.

I'm currently running 225x45xR17 tyres and the wheels are 7" with an ET of +15 on the front and ET of +25 on the rear. From memory, I have approximately 5-7mm clearance on the front between the wheel and spring perch and the rear is about 3-5mm clearance (I'll need to confirm these measurements).

I did a trial fit of the rota RB's 7.5" ET +20 and they fouled on the front as I thought they would but if I've crunched my numbers correctly, I think the 8.5" ET +4 will fit; if anything, I may need to roll the lip on the guards but I'm sticking with 225x45xR17 so I don't think I will have an issue with it.

The back space will be 125mm with the 8.5" which shouldn't foul on the struts; I currently have about 25mm of room to play with between the tyre and the rear quarter, the 8.5's will stick out an extra 21mm so hopefully I won't have to roll the lip.... I'm going to see if I can do a trial fit to be sure but not many hold Rota stock; hopefully I can find another wheels with the same measurements to trial. I did the calculations manually and then found this site: http://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp and it confirmed my measurements.

My struts have been shortened and spring perches repositioned to give more clearance - I wanted to put coil overs at the time but couldn't afford it back then as I was a full time uni student...

Really want a set of Rota's without using spacers or having to redo all of my suspension!

Marc.

As i said above, 44014 has XXR 572s 16x8.25 ET0 with rolled guards running KU36 225/50/16s and they don't fit, so i'm sorry to say you are wrong.

I had Rota RB-Rs in 16x8 ET4 and 225/50/16 no name tyres and i had to roll the rear guards so they didnt scrub.

8.5" ET4 will poke out past the guards, backspace isn't the problem. This of cause is not a problem if you run the car as high as a 4x4, but i don't count that as an acceptable solution.

Its not like they are miles off fitting, it's only by the smallest of margins, but none the less you will need to pull the guards for it to work properly at an acceptable ride height.

I find this site helpful: http://willtheyfit.com.

• 1 year later...

Gents, while I appreciated the advice, I couldn't let this go. I managed to score three new Rota RB's for $350 - long story short, the guy didn't have the 4th wheel. I ordered a pair from Rota and received a phone call two days later saying they had no stock.... was trying to get it all ready for Classic Japan last year but that didn't work out. After doing a lot of measuring and having a lot of doubts from the replies I got, I decided to bite the bullet anyway and order the RBR's - I'm glad I did!

I ended up doing a staggered fitment; 17 x 7.5 +20 for the front (and a spare) and 17 x 8.5 +4 for the rear... and they fit. These will definitely not fit on a standard 240Z; with the changes I've made to my suspension, they just fit.​

My car is lowered (not as low as it use to be prior to getting a canary) and the rear doesn't rub. I had to redo my suspension after getting the canary for the turbo setup not being engineered, so I thought I'd tuck it in as much as possible since I was going for an engineers certificate anyway.

I haven't had to roll the lip on the rear, it is extremely close with a 225 tyre - if I went to a 235/245, would more than likely rub. Will try a 235 on the rear for the next set of tyres and see how it goes. I know not everyone is a fan of the Rota's and I can live with that; I'm happy with them :)

post-102301-0-55500100-1456712780_thumb.jpg

post-102301-0-56096700-1456712767_thumb.jpg

Marc.

There is no way that your rear fenders are stock, they have been widened pretty significantly and this was where half the problem was.

So relating back to the original question, "will Rota 17x8.5 rims with +4 offset will fit on all four corners of my 240z with no flares and coilovers?", the answer still is, no they won't even if you fit coilovers.

I bet a 7.5" +20 sits inside the guard on the front a fair bit too.

Edited by d3c0y

I agree with you, these won't fit on a standard 240Z, the original question wasn't mine. I supplied measurements/clearances in my post that I took from my car and was asking if the 8.5 +4 would fit based on my measurements/calculations.

I did weld in 2nd hand wheel arches at the time I was doing rust repair - supplied by Waz from Z Works in Mordialloc; this was close to 14 years ago - not sure what they came off, could have been a 2 seater 260Z???

I think the fronts sit just right with the 7.5 +20's - they could come out another 5-10mm but seems to tuck in quite nice and fills the guard. I haven't tried the 8.5 on the front, happy with the way it is.

• Administrators

I did weld in 2nd hand wheel arches at the time I was doing rust repair - supplied by Waz from Z Works in Mordialloc; this was close to 14 years ago - not sure what they came off, could have been a 2 seater 260Z???

I think I was there the day they were getting chopped out of a car, if I recall correctly it was a white 260z 2+2 and you mentioned the rear guards on 2 seater and 2+2's are the same. But maybe they are slightly wider on the 2+2's?

I remember it well simply because a car had started to get cut up and you said you told them the wrong side lol.. oops... Think you took both sides in the end anyway...

I think you're right Gavin; from memory, I only needed to replace the driver's side wheel arch and Waz gave me one, without telling me it was different. After tacking it in place, I stood behind the car and noticed that the wheel arch he gave me stuck out about half an inch more than the passenger side... I didn't have any other choice but to change the passenger side as Waz didn't have anything else to give me. I was so upset at the time having to cut out a wheel arch that had nothing wrong with it; worked out well all these years later I guess! I really can't recall but I don't think I told him the wrong side?

There is a clear difference between the two d3coy!

I've got dat240z's old wheels running 235/45 on a 7.5" +4 in the rear of my 2+2 with absolutely no rubbing issues at all, I'm thinking I might even try a set of 245's as there appears to be plenty of space. I've got 205/40's in the front and they fit fine however I would like to go slightly wider and higher profile for my next set. Anyone have any idea what the largest tire could be on a 17x7.5 +4 in the front as I'm keen for slightly higher profile tires for my next set.

Just thought I'd add some 2+2 action in here, I'm pretty sure that the 2+2 rear fender lip is quite a bit larger then on the 2 seaters, as soon as I looked at the photo I thought it looked very 2+2ish.

- Andrew

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 2/29/2016 at 1:44 PM, my_mad_z said:

decided to bite the bullet anyway and order the RBR's - I'm glad I did!

I ended up doing a staggered fitment; 17 x 7.5 +20 for the front (and a spare) and 17 x 8.5 +4 for the rear... and they fit. These will definitely not fit on a standard 240Z; with the changes I've made to my suspension, they just fit.

M

post-102301-0-55500100-1456712780_thumb.jpg

post-102301-0-56096700-1456712767_thumb.jpg

Marc.

Hi Marc,

Im ready to purchase some rims for my 260 2+2, I'm keen on the Rota's and have looked on their website however the RBR's do come in the 17 x 8.5 + 4 but npt in the 17 x 7.5 + 20. I know this post is a few years old but do you think the fronts may have been RB's and the rear RBR?

Thanks Brenden

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/14/2020 at 6:37 PM, Brenden said:

Hi Marc,

Im ready to purchase some rims for my 260 2+2, I'm keen on the Rota's and have looked on their website however the RBR's do come in the 17 x 8.5 + 4 but npt in the 17 x 7.5 + 20. I know this post is a few years old but do you think the fronts may have been RB's and the rear RBR?

Thanks Brenden

Hi Brenden, 

Sorry for the delayed reply mate, haven't logged in for a while. The rears are RBR and the fronts are RB. The RB with the +20 offset won't fit unless you have coilovers, modified suspension or a spacer.

Marc.