Jump to content

600Z

Donating Members
  • Posts

    359
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 600Z

  1. Hello Jackson, I emailed you some time back when you had a add on gumtree but I have even forgot what it was for.... maybe wheels. I'm in Tassie as well and not long joined this site as well, there is a lot of good and useful info on here though just be careful you don't get swamped with information overload as Rome was not built in a day and you have to remember most the guys on here have taken or taking years in getting there car to where they are now and want them to be. And at the end of it all you still want a car that's going to be a pleasure to drive and not a pig. Have some goals and slowly work towards them, sometimes less is more. Justin
  2. Hello AK, Thanks for the hello and yes its all straight with no rust and don't go showing my wife yours as she would like a 2+2. This is quiet a good site there is a lot of info on here when you start digging through. Justin
  3. Ah very true otherwise you would need adapters similar to the ones I have with the wolfcreek axles I have and just more to go wrong I think. That setup you have is very neat.
  4. That looks like a very nice job red76z. Are your half shafts cv inner and uni outer?
  5. Hello David, No I don't sorry, there not that easy to come by for a good price at times. You could try somewhere like Gabba gearboxes in Brisbane as your in Brissy aren't you? I'm in Tassie. The control arms of yours have come up very well, I have been thinking of making up front and rear ones but more so the front for mine but one thing at a time I have just made an electric power steering column for mine and waiting for it to be approved. Justin
  6. Very nice work I like them. Just wondering what wall thickness tube are you using? Justin
  7. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    I can imagine, nothing comes too cheap does it.
  8. Thanks guys I will have a look at the 003's and see what there like. How would they go on a zed with a V8 in it? would they be good enough for when it's pushed pretty hard on the street? I have the Toyo R1R's on it at the moment and I guess I'm not that happy with them though they are very low in tread.
  9. I have to say that's a very nice job, very impressive. Would love to catch up one day and have a look and chat. Justin
  10. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried these tyres? I'm running Toyo R1R's and there rated quiet good though I have to say I'm not that impressed with them so I'm looking for something that will handle well. Justin.
  11. 600Z

    88mm pistons

    I have forgotten the gudgen pin diameter difference but its not much at all. I had them in a L20B 2.1 ltr engine with a lot of work done to it and I had no problem spinning it up to and sometimes over 7500rpm very often for 5 years before selling the car to a friend who eventually broke the crank from too many burnouts though I think the button clutch had a bit to do with that. The rods and pistons never failed or even looked like failing. A friend of mine put me onto them as he was running them in his drag car engine for a long time until he did a 2.4L series and used Murray Coote's head and 55mm webers off his 1200 rally car then he went to different ones but that's another story as he was on methanol. Anyway just putting it out there. Also what engine builder really guarantee's an engine..... they will always say.... oh it's been over reved or something as it will never be their fault. But I wasn't worried about a guarantee as I built the engine. Justin
  12. 600Z

    88mm pistons

    http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Piston-Cylinder-Set-88mm-x-69mm-Forged-Slip-In-p/mahlet188f.htm http://www.volkswagenrestore.com/bus_proddetail.php?prod=198880&cat=76 Those are the Mhale pistons I was talking about, most of the VW performance shops would be able to get them for you.
  13. 600Z

    88mm pistons

    Mhale forged pistons, you get the VW 88mm ones in the big bore kits so you might have to buy two and make sure you get the forged ones. The ones I had, had coated skirts for less friction and 1mm piston rings. The pin height is 1mm lower so the pistons will have to have a skim taken off the top as well as your small end of your con rods will have to be bored out for the slightly larger gudgen pin. Then drill two oil holes about 45deg from vertical for your gudgen pin oiling (the pin should be a clearance fit on the rod as the pistons have circlips holding the gudgen pin in. Any engine reconditioner can do this. I used these a long time ago and found them very good so I'm guessing there still available. Justin
  14. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    Yes i was surprised too with the hand brake but im happy it did though i will in time sort some other setup for it. I did look at a 4.3 for mine but figured it might be too low, now thinking i should have lol oh well 3.9 it is. Im in launceston. Justin
  15. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    That sounds like a nice car red67z. How did you fit the diff in? I'm still using the r200
  16. Hello Wayne, yes it is easier if you use a complete or parts there of but once you start making or modifying things it gets a little more involved but not much. The main thing is if you do any welds on steering you need them NDT tested. The hardest part would be to find one that fitted, length, mounting points, clearances etc. Then even if you did find one if you want it to be legal it still has to go through vehicle modifications and inspected. As to if you change the rack to hydraulic you have mounting points, tie rods etc... Anything modified has to be applied, approved and inspected and any welds checked as well. This is why I went electric power assist, less work and less to go wrong and you don't change the geometry of the steering. But yes if you could find one that went straight in it would be easier then making one up.
  17. Yes indeed I totally agree.
  18. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    I would be very interested in seeing your car as well. They sound very similar in build as it sounds like you know what's in mine. All of the modifications have all been approved so there is no drama there. I have spoken to them in regards to the steering and i have sent the application in with all related information regarding the modifications i have done to the column for approval so should all be good. Whats your like with 4.3 diff gears? I have 3.7 in it at the moment but have 3.9 to go in. Its a 2 seater. Park brake is hydraulic and nothing was questioned about it during the inspection. Justin
  19. I only really commented in this post in case people were not aware that any modification to the steering ,hydraulic or electronic needs to be approved if you want to keep it legal. If not and anyone is happy to take the risk that's fine too. It was just something that people should be aware of that was all and i didn't mean to upset anyone if i have.
  20. This is true Peter though its not hard to have it approved. I just like the fact of the electronic power steering if it fails for any reason its back to how it is standard and can always change it back very easily if wanted.
  21. Yes I do agree Richard it is up to the discretion of the approving engineer though he is just a third party who is not part of the department of transport. But when the vehicle investigations crew inspect your car after an accident involving a fatality and they find that your car has unapproved (even though it might be listed) modifications and or no testing and certificates for the modifications carried out your compulsory third party insurance is voided as your car is un-roadworthy. Then since your car is un-roadworthy Shannons or whom ever your through also go sorry but were not paying for your car or the other guys car to be fixed. So now your up for medical bills for the other person and or suing costs etc, having to pay for their cars repair and be left with a nice bent and twisted car yourself. That's obviously worse case scenario and it probably would never happen to you or me but I'm not willing to take the risk as all it would take is for me to clean up a child running out between cars or a driveway and for them to say..... we feel that if he had the proper steering in his vehicle he would have been able to avoid this..... So I do agree with you that, Yes it probably would go through but for the cost of getting the welds tested with a certificate $140 and whatever the cost will be for the inspection along with doing a bit of paperwork I think I will feel much better knowing that no one can dispute any modification with my car and there is quiet a few. It just gives me piece of mind should anything happen which I really hope doesn't lol.
  22. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    Ah very nice, I have an LS engine with a T56 6 speed in mine. What other goodies do you have?
  23. Lol but mine is on the road so there is a hurry as i want to try it out though then i think my wife will want to drive it with though she's not too fond of the power. Hopefully i will get a reply from vehicle modifications later this week depending how busy they are.
  24. 600Z

    TAS Z Cars

    Hello fellow Taswegians ............ good to see there are a few of us down here and another V8 one at that. What V8 do you have on your 240Z Zed240au?
  25. Yes it would be a good idea Peter. It may come to pass that you just get the welds tested and submit a modification application and see what they say.
×
×
  • Create New...