Jump to content

MaygZ

Members
  • Posts

    1,509
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    7

Everything posted by MaygZ

  1. PRO'S: Cheaper membership - Prob $30 v's NDSOC of $65 Cheaper Rego - club plates (45 or 90 day log book scheme) No minimum number of events to attend - save time No requirement for RWC or engineer's reports (except in extreme cases) - save $$$ Z car decisions made by Z car owners - save feeling like a poor cousin The ability to 'host' events and invite others - spread the love More funds available to Gav to develop/enhance the forum as he sees a need The possibility to obtain club discounts from various business' CON'S Some effort from a few I really can't see much change in the way the forum runs. The club would not be formed to 'replace' the forum, but rather to enhance it. Much of this is pending Gav's support and permission to use the forum for club purposes. There would be no requirement to be members of both. I wouldn't want to have any 'club' exclusive events (other than club executive meetings) I don't see anyone waking up the morning after a thinking all the world's problems have been solved, but I don't see anyone waking up and chewing their arm off either. It's worth pointing out that I'm not suggesting that the forum 'become' a club. I'm suggesting that we form a club and that members of the forum who are interested join said club. The club would not replace the forum, but rather run parallel with the forum. I am also not proposing to start a splinter group or a clique or anything divisive - just an option with benefits. With only 4 or 5 executive positions and 5 or 6 executive members there is a build in short term succession plan. Further down the track, the executive may be able ti invite a member from the associates to join the executive. The purpose of incorporation is to protect members regarding liability for issues. If members further altered their vehicles (and lets face it they are all constantly evolving) something could be added to our club rules that allow a further inspection if a level of alteration has occurred. However, if after being inspected for club plates a then standard car was found to to have a merlin engine installed, the club, it's executive and it's membership are protected by incorporation. The executive selected (and the greater membership) will/would not accept sh!t cars being 'deemed' safe. That benefits nobody. Many of the costs are dependent on the number of members and on what services or extras the members want. It is not possible at this early stage to accurately state the fees. I have put up my estimates and that's what they are and that is as accurate as I can be for now. In addition to occasional track days, I would like to see a casual drive for lunch once a month - Baxter burgers, GOR, hanging rock, Dandenongs whatever and garage days/group builds akin to Lurch's instruction days or my help day. I believe that it is a good and regular mixture of these types of events that gets increased membership, active membership and satisfied membership. I don't believe that a long established club should ever have thousands of dollars in the bank. If that is the case, then membership and event costs have been way to high. I don't want a club that is about asset growth. I don't want a club that becomes more about developing buildings and building bank balances than about building and driving cars. Please keep the comments coming. This is day one of a journey.
  2. That's a very relaxed 'Brocky' elbow there.
  3. Pretty sure that Christmas is locked in the calendar for a few years to come. I reckon the next one is about 12 months away. I know what you are saying - I'm just trying to be bigger d!ckhead than Sheldon. I'm not even close to his d!ckhead level. I should just stick with being better looking and cooler.
  4. Sheldon, I don't think we are allowed to use the 'K' word anymore. Where is that damn button??
  5. If you're like me and found yourself asking, "Who the F are living end?" See:
  6. I understand Gordo, but they shouldn't really be scared of change. It would really suit the guys modifying their cars - particularly in the rural areas, where they can't find an engineer or the local one is too conservative etc. No engineer (except extreme cases) and no RWC could save members $1000's of dollars. They only have to make sure their vehicle is 'safe'. There are enough experienced and honest guys in this club to ensure that is the case. It would also suit the guys who aren't interested in paying $200 odd dollars to join a club and then have to attend 3+ meetings (again rural issues but also work and family commitments etc) Taking CAMS out of the picture: it is $80 to start the club and I'm not sure on the costs of incorporation yet. But at this stage I estimate that with say 50 members, it will cost $10-20 each member per year. maybe make the fees $40 and $20 each member goes into the forum account? Just ball park at this stage. I suspect that CAMS affiliation (to get competition licenses will add another $10 each)
  7. You know I've never done it. In fact you know I've done very little Make sure that you keep an angle in the column as if it is straight it increases it's chance of coming into the cabin with a frontal impact. MaygZ
  8. OK. The time has come to bring up this discussion. PLEASE, have a read of the attached links before you get involved in the discussion. http://feralsportscarclub.net/CarClub2.html http://www.ourcommunity.com.au/management/view_help_sheet.do?articleid=15 http://www.cams.com.au/Forms/Schedule_of_Fees_-_Appendix_R.aspx Unfortunately, due to differing rules in each state and club plates being state specific, I am only looking at a Victorian Club. There is no reason as to why others in the other states can't research their states requirements. I think the Qld boys have already done this??? My thoughts, to get the discussion kicked off, are that the path of the Ferals is followed closely. That is to say, 4 or 5 members form the hub of the club and hold the executive positions. All other members then join as 'associate' members without voting rights (but all other rights and benefits). In that way the club stays the same. It prevents the "anal bureaucrat" from building a self serving empire as I have seen happen in other clubs. What are the benefits? Cheaper club membership - as there is no need to acquire assets and our only ongoing costs will be renewals, Inc fees and the website costs (if Gav is happy to give us a section of the forum for an on-going fee?) Not building an empire, just getting like minded people together to enjoy their cars. No need for RWC or only a very occasional need for engineering reports (if the build is way out there) in order to get club plates. As the vehicle only needs to be declared 'safe' by a member of the executive (as per the current Victorian Law) No requirement to attend X number of events/meetings (as is the case with most car clubs in Vic) As a club we may be able to negotiate with an insurance company for discounted insurance - I know AROCA do this - or cheaper parts/services etc with various businesses. At the moment I haven't really found "I'm a member of an on-line forum." carries very much kudos or weight. CAMS affiliation - issuing licences and running track days??? What's the interest level in this? I don't have any recent experience in running track days. It would obviously put up the annual fees of membership. It's something I would be interested in being a part of, but again Discuss ... Would joining the forum require or guarantee membership of this car club? Absolutely not for either case. Would not being a member of the club mean that I can't come to social events such as Tas, Christmas party, Bright, Thredbo etc? Absolutely not. The club should be set up so that there is not an overflowing bank balance and therefore in most cases attendees pay there own way. I would like to emphasise that these are my thoughts. Nothing has started, nothing is set in concrete, nothing has been signed. I have spoken with a few Victorian members about this. That is as far as it has progressed so far. I would like a PM from members interested in being part of the founding executive. A brief CV (My name is ....... and I'm an accountant/have a car restoration business/have been restoring cars since I was 12/am a good public speaker and spread love and goodwill wherever I go etc and would be happy to nominate for Treasurer/President/Vice President/Competition Secretary/Secretary. The club will stay small with no large monthly meeting on a wednesday nights for the bureaucrats to shine, so the workload on each position would be small. I suspect that 99% of the management of the club could be run on-line/by phone/at the pub for tea etc So let the discussion begin.
  9. I agree with Jason. Take the guard off the car and send it straight to the 'pool room'. Get another guard for the car. That way if something horrible happens you wont lose them.
  10. G'day Draconis. This post should answer your question. It was sold.
  11. Not yet. a few watchers, but no bidders as yet. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/140891057686?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_1203
  12. Can someone up there please go and have a look at this car and see if any of the work was actually done? It shouldn't take long to spot $600 of new bushes, $100 wheel cylinders, a $450 steering rack let alone the $900 gold plated radiator. $76 for 2nd hand engine mounts? That's expensive for new ones! $100 for a $40 water pump is steep. $200 for brake pads?? $90 per front disc?? $284 for replacing some globes!! And now they refuse to do any electrical work on the car? What are the chances it has had a $30 engine wash and a bottle of Bars Leaks?? And that is ALL!!
  13. Oh, you're a CHICK!! I am really sorry to say that explains a lot. It is sad but true that many in the trades will attempt to take advantage of you. I'm sure that we can assist you when you need us. Just ask Q's here and then you will be armed (hopefully) with the right advice. Ask on here before getting work done as there are many on here that can recommend business' in Brisbane. One of the guys might even be able to have a look at your car for you. That may save you lots of time and heart ache. The other problem with you being a girl: Dimitri may start speaking french to you!! Have a go at fixing some of the basic things yourself. Many of them are pretty easy and with a manual you can just work your way through it. Don't let your boyfriend drive it! EVER! If he wants a cool car he should buy his own, not just have a cool girlfriend. If you let him drive it, you'll never know if he loves you or it's just your car he's after. The carbie thing? Pretty sure it doesn't apply here, but some searching on this forum will answer those questions for you.
  14. I can't believe you opened that can of worms: One in the passenger seat the other on your fa..... Coming dear. I'll have to finish this another time.
  15. G'day 'enry. Welcome. Why have people assumed that you speak french based purely on your first name? They must be courteous racists LMAO. You may suck at design, but it seems you can recognise a good design when you see one. 'The best advice is to continue to save money and a lot of questions, learn from others' mistakes.' Now if our Tinpot Hitler comes on here speaking french then I know they have both become: les branleurs plus grands mondes
  16. I was going to ask you both the same thing. You're not just trying to impress our new member by being complete w@nkers, are you?
  17. Should this workshop be named and shamed to protect the innocent? Or is this going to turn into a set of carbies?
  18. It's not all motivation Scoota. I'm on a roll and loving it. I build up some funds to start something and then it's all gone when I finish. I have to build up some funds again. So I look for something that's less expensive to work on. Gotta sell my rear shockers so I can afford new front inserts. I also have to keep in mind that if I start pulling lots of parts off the parts car, I have to find a way to transport them all when I move back home (soonish ) That's something I'm part way through Dimitri. I was using a gloss paint. What is this 'reconditioning paint' of which you speak?
  19. This pains me to say .... I can't say it .... be strong! I agree with Sheldon and Bozo did it the best way. I think I just threw up in my mouth.
  20. You have every right to be pi$$ed off. $6K is a lot of money and you should be happy with the work. (That's almost a full AZC suspension kit ) I don't know how it works up there, but all the way down here in Vic, if you now took your car to Vic Roads and asked them to inspect it, they would obviously fail it. As it has a new and current RWC, they would require the dodgy bastard to rectify all the faults at his expense or lose his licence to inspect vehicles!! So when you take it back to this bloke to fix all his F ups, you can tell him that if you're not happy with his work, you'll take the car to Qld's version of Vic Roads. A licence to inspect vehicles is worth a lot of coin to a workshop - not so much the inspection, but the extra work it generates. Oh and good work with the smart pr1ck that thinks old should be sh1t.
  21. OK. That's a point. However, I just rang my daughter and told her she's not coming to the Christmas party tomorrow!
  22. Well just finished night shift and the whole world stops while I'm on night shift I've finished sectioning front and rears and thanks to Red76z's post, I reshaped the rear stubs to take the R31 brackets http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,9487.15.html Now they are all ready to weld on the sleeves. Assemble them, attach brakes and put in cupboard (they are promoted to inside parts ) and start on something next. Suggestions on what to start next?? Thinking brake master and booster. They are just a clean, kit and paint. About an hour's work. I should have them done in a month
  23. You are a bloody legend!!!!! $20 each and in stock!! The bloke at the bearing shop was a bit red faced that I was able to tell him a different one. Thank you very much.
  24. Lampy, the measurements are as follows (please note that these are the most accurate I can do): from bottom of thread to centre of bottom eyelet = 645mm - compressed = 470 length of threaded top = 30mm diameter of bottom eyelet = 12mm
  25. Welcome. Shame about the 260 but good luck with the 280. By the way; 70's isn't old. (Ben Button) Lurch has been around longer than that.
×
×
  • Create New...