Jump to content

George

Members
  • Posts

    1,981
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    32

Everything posted by George

  1. It's already fitted to the car Gav.
  2. Interested in the tail light garnish. Will pm you.
  3. Mike, is that first one the one that you looked at a while back? I agree it's a gorgeous colour and it shows off the curves exceptionally well. Much more so than white if I'm honest. I haven't made up my mind one way or another and the paint stage is so far ahead that I'm not wasting too much time on it for now. As it stands, it could be easier to just paint it a rusty colour to match most of the panels.
  4. Gav, that doesn't look like the MSA one. Looks like a home job. Thanks for the inspiration, they look great together. I haven't decided on a colour yet but it will most likely be white. Did some more work last night. The grinder came out! I showed those stubborn bolts. Original clip (piece of wire even) that secures the shifter pin. Selling it for $145 Original wood screws used to attach the fuse box to the tranny tunnel. Selling for $75. Each that is. These actually are original body parts and they're not for sale. Is this meant to happen when you remove the rear bumper? More original parts for sale soon...
  5. Good work Locky. Looks like a very useful skill to have. Thanks for the effort.
  6. Very thorough. Now if only it were that easy for chumps like me. I bet you I'd end up welding the stud to the body! Many thanks. You make it look easy.
  7. Thumbs up! Thanks.
  8. Gav, if it can be saved I believe it should be. I would rather have an original part with a bit of patina than a new shiny reproduction one. Having said that, there is a limit and if it is dangerous to use or it just looks bad, case in point my rear lights, then there is little choice but to replace it. To be honest I wouldn't hesitate buying one of those consoles to store away. The fibreglass units will only last so long. Mark, group buy! No doubt I'll be buying lots of bits and pieces from the states so I'll be looking to consolidate as much as possible.
  9. I watched this video last night Gav. I like his channel, he posts some useful stuff.
  10. Thanks Lurch. Can't say I'm looking forward to learning this skill but it will be a useful one nonetheless.
  11. I expected to have snapped many by now. Let's hope I can get away with only a handful. Am I right in thinking it's the ones attached to the body that will snap more than others? I have been using WD40 for now but not letting them soak for more than a few minutes. I also have some INOX. I agree, Safari Gold is a much better colour but I won't be painting it that, or the matte black. Will check it out, thanks.
  12. Has anybody tried any of their kits? Curious about the quality. This is the complete kit - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-280Z-1970-78-Complete-Car-Kit-1200-pcs-Stainless-Bolt-NEW-/321311347311?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acfa6126f&_uhb=1#vi-ilComp They sell them as individual kits as well.
  13. Gav, I read somewhere that the first 50 cars got the valve covers. I'll see if I can dig up the source. The bolt in the middle of the license plate assembly was placed there as a hole filler. It did not reach the thread. I've no idea about the Koito stamp but would love to know. I doubt they are fixable and by he time I get them out they will be further damaged. The screws are not playing nice. Looks like Safari Gold is a popular colour. The SU's do have the 4 screws on the bell. I've not tried to confirm their originality just yet. Keen to hear from anyone that knows.
  14. Yay, no rust here. I'll take every small win. Console damage. Cracks. Made from fibreglass. Air con unit by Denso. I'm guessing not original? It's heavy. Should polish up nicely. The other cover looks in better condition but it's the later style. 4 screw SU's. I believe there were 3 heat-shield styles. This is the correct one for this car. Koito rear light assembly. Rough. Only a touch better. Eeeek! Will clean up well. License plate light assembly. Can be saved. The lenses, not a great shot I know, are still clear. The inside/rear part of the license plate assembly. Also usable. The left one is usable but the right one has some rust and will need to be replaced. My first snapped bolt and it was a fender one. I expected more to be honest. Interesting air horns made in Italy.
  15. Thanks Gav. Looks good. I'll be giving that a go at some stage.
  16. Appreciate all the comments. Peter, it's not that my wife is not on board, I'm just trying to make it as stress-free as possible for her. She's excited for me but I'm concerned this might put a strain on our relationship at some stage so I'm trying to learn from those who have done it. Strange that you mention the Sydney Theatre Company. She loves the theatre so I'll have to look into that. Mike, look forward to the journal. Your car is an excellent survivor!
  17. Looks a million bucks Gav, well done. Can't wait to see the how-to.
  18. Lots of info here on the different knobs. http://www.zparts.com/zptech/comparisons/pages/choke_knobs.html
  19. Primitive cruise control. just engages the throttle cable and holds it open.
  20. That's not a series 1 knob. See photo above for the correct one. It's more rounded. So many differences and if you get picky you'll go mad!
  21. I know all about the stress, the ups and downs of a project but what about the other stuff behind the scenes that rarely gets mentioned? The stress, financial and emotional, placed on your partner and/or family members. How do/did you deal with it? What are your experiences, your regrets and tips having completed (or are in the middle of) a multi-year project?
  22. Hear hear. Love the seats. Just making my way through your build thread. You've come a long way.
  23. You left us with a cliffhanger. What's the rest if the story?
  24. All comments, pity, encouragement and advice is appreciated. Whatever the future holds I'm excited and I'm looking forward to the experience. At this stage I'm taking a step back after the frantic week I've had and giving myself some time to think, research and plan.
  25. Adam, I have spent all of my spare time in the last couple of days reading this entire thread. You recently said it was an epic project. I completely agree with you. Well done and I sincerely hope you enjoy every moment with this car. You deserve it.
×
×
  • Create New...