Steve got his Z!

stevo_gj

Hey guys!

I inspected and put a deposit on a 2 seater 260z today, talk about being over the moon.  :D ;D 5 years of longing and from the least likely source I find a beautifully preserved red and black 260z that resides at Tweed Heads on the QLD/NSW border.

I have purchased it from the original owner, a very nice woman in her early 60s. Her husband owns an identical car body and paint wise, but his has many many conversions and little additions. (ie about 20 extra switches for various functions such as turning the radiator fan on/off) She was visibly upset at selling her beloved "Michelle" (car's name) and was very pleased that it was selling to such a "nice boy"  ;D

The photos I was sent were the ones I have attached, and immediately had me a bit skeptical of the condition of the car. However the moment I walked in and saw it I knew I would buy it. The ENTIRE body has only a tiny 5c piece bit of rust in the hatch thats very hard to spot under the paint. There was evidence of bog underneath the fuel cap but its been very well repaired that only a close inspection brought it out.

The car has the original L26, and it is in very good condition apart from leaking a slight amount of exhaust which my mechanic says is very minor and he will probably address in the next couple of years. The colour is ferrari red and is apparently still the original paint, it looks really good. The roof has black vinyl on top to complement the black spoiler and black stripe it has along the side. It has some pretty unique 280z badges (even though its not a 280z), which are pretty much just there to give the car an individual feel. It also has headlight covers which I think I'll remove.

Now onto the list of things that need doing. I would appreciate any and all advice that you guys have on these things, and if you have some of the parts I could use then feel free to send me a PM or post about them.

Air conditioning compressor has seized. - my mechanic says that this could end up costing a grand to fix because replacing compressors isn't cheap and he doesn't know a place that uses the old R12 gas that this unit used.

Automatic transmission needs to be converted. There is no rush on this, but I need to source the parts for this conversion. My mechanic will do the labor for a good price.

Taco and Fuel gauges broken. The husband of the owner told me that the fuel gauge just needs a new sensor. The taco I have no idea what is required to fix it, but it just sits at max revs all the time and occasionally jerks around when i'm at high revs. My friend in the car club suggested it might be a loose wire but I'll probably have to give it to an expert.

Replace Rear Tyres

There are lots of other little things I want to do that are just for looks and aren't necessary yet. Replacing one of the badges on the rear quarter,  steering wheel, seats, converting locking to central. Also will consider putting a security system in there.

I cant believe how lucky I've been, I'm still in shock that I own my dream car.

Steve

post-931-144023489667_thumb.jpg

Congrats. Looks like a good purchase.

The compressor can be repaired and cleaned and R134a put into it. They use a flushing solution to clean it out and is normal practice for anyone changing from R12 to 134. You will also need to change the receiver dryer, and the fittings on the hoses - probably better to buy new hoses. I would consider changing the mechanic before the compressor ! If it has siezed, I would consider fitting a new Sanden unit, rather than trying to find an original.

Any auto electrician should be able to diagnose the gauges and should be a pretty easy fix - even if it means getting some second hand units. Bit of a pain to install, but may be cheaper than trying to fix yours if faulty and not just an earth problem.

Great to here you have got one! Looks like it is in great nic

I have a spare original compressor if you want one however I would agree with  aegean and you should get a Sanden but it will cost you (new braket, hoses, etc)

The Auto convert see zbitz for the the clutch gear and look for a low cost Bluebird box

Anyway happy days!

thats fair enough, but for a car with only an L26 and im sure there are many other things i would need to do before starting to worry about the drag coefficient of the car :P i dont think that the slight change from the headlight covers matters. unless other people have really noticed a difference in fuel consumption?

This is the first one I have seen with a vinyl roof. It is a good thing it is in good condition it would be a bastard to remove and respray or replace.

What does the lettering say on the rear tailgate?

What is that blue mark under the bumper on the drivers side?

And what are the emblems that are painted on the rear and bonnet?

VERY NICE CAR

On the front is the lettering 'Flamingo' which was chosen by the previous owners because of the colour of the car.

The blue lettering under the rear numberplate is the UN Diplomat badge which is because the owner had diplomatic immunity.

The blue circle on the rear has me flummoxed, ill have a look when I go to pick up the car but I cant remember anything out of the ordinary about it.

The rear emblem says 280 Z Nissan. (Its only a 260z though)

While the flamingo and nissan lettering wouldn't have been my choices, I think they are beautifully done and I will probably keep them as is :)

And thanks guys! I'll post up some pics when I get it with my 'new owner' giddyness

The rear emblem says 280 Z Nissan. (Its only a 260z though)

I would guess (since you haven't given a year) its a late 260, which means it is the same bodyshell as the US delivered 280z, but with our 2.6 fitted, and they've fitted badges + stickers due to that.  Or maybe they just liked the US look!  Either way, interesting looking car, and a good buy from the sounds of it.

My bad, its a 1975 model.

Ok, here are the photos I took outside my house a few minutes ago.  ;D ;D

Couple of side profiles:

06_26_0.jpg

06_26_1.jpg

Interior:

06_26_7.jpg

06_26_9.jpg

I saw a 260z badged as a fairlady at UQ today, was a dark green I think and it had the original alloy wheels with the Z badges in the centre. I wonder if my car would look good with those wheels..  ???

Edit: Just noticed my house is on fire in the picture... what on earth would cause that effect on a digital camera haha

nice car like above dont change too many things just those covers and maybe clean the body of those stickers and replace with stock badges.

sweet ride. bet ya u love the s30 now more than ever. i sure do. i drove my s14 last weekend first time since i got my z on the road about 6 month ago.. though still nice to drive but i lot different. kinda miss the long bonnet of the s30 and clostrophobic cockpit.

i couldnt believe that my dream car s14 will be replaced with a 32yr old S30.

• Moderators

Nice and clean but one thing that I would remove is that 280Z thing along the sides of the car. Looks like it was sprayed on with a stencil. Excellent car to start with though!

That fire thing is just the setting sun on the tree.