wheels finally on..

chris240

well I finally got around to rolling & folding my inner guard lips including the front which meant the 225's dont touch anywhere.

Ive got 16x8 (+4)  running 225s all round..If I had my time again I defintely would have bought 16x7's for the front with 205 or 215s'...

8's give you a bees dick in tolerance, but it works.

fyi ...Ive wound the konis to about 70% hard & Ive got 2" lowered Kings and the tyres havent touched.

post-632-144023642506_thumb.jpg

post-632-144023642517_thumb.jpg

post-632-144023642527_thumb.jpg

post-632-144023642537_thumb.jpg

Alan

I wouldnt be game to go lower...the Kings with 16" & 50 series rubber is just about perfect. seems the older you get you tend to want more clearance  ::)

lol, yea, i used to like the 20 bazillion inch big rims, and no suspension travel, but then i got my licence and realised cars dont drive like that.

I'll have the coil overs so i can drop it on the ground at car shows, but thats about it...

Jake

sometime ago I believe that Rota stopped making the 16x8 -zero offset, that would have been perfect. Im just not entirely comfortable knowing Ive got bugger all clearance to my strut tower. (Im defintely getting old  ::)

For anyone thinking to go with 8" +4s ....the +4's would be cactus on a 260z with the lower perches.

Alex

with + 12......yup your gonna scrape, probably more suited to a bobcat  ;D

Looks great Chris

I recently bought some 16x7s +20 from Tim (RB30X). 2 of the rims came with 225/50 tyres on them the others were wheels only. I have found that the 225/50 tyres just scrub on the lower perch when on the rear of my 240z 9/72 but foul so badly when fitted on the front that you can barely rotate the wheel. I contacted Tim to find out what suspension he was running and if he had had any problems. Here was his response.

"Hi Mick,

Yeah I had coil overs on my car but they weren’t any where near the spring perches.

I’ve heard the wheel hubs between models can make wheels stick out more, for example the 16 x 8’s I bought fit mine no worries but wouldn’t fit another fellas with the same mods because he had 260 hubs and not 240 or something.

You could try getting some 2nd hand 205’s fitted and see how they go.

Some say to avoid wheel spacers, but they would solve your problems and make the wheel sit out more with the guards, and you aren’t racing it??

Maybe pop the question up on the forum and see what people say.

Cheers

Tim"

As Tim suggested, I have bought some 205/50s but haven't fitted them yet, hope to get that sorted over the weekend.

Anyone have ideas on different hub geometries pushing wheels in or out?

Cheers

Mick

PS Here's a pic of the young Fella coming for his first cruise, you can see the new wheels fitted on the back too.

post-3123-14402364315_thumb.jpg

Mick

its the 20+ offset thats killing you.

It will be interesting to see what happens with 205's.

I previously had 16x7 also, with 205's and I could have built a block of apartments under there I had so much clearance. But the difference was the rims had the correct offset for a 240z.

Hi Chris,

Yeah I think I should be OK, 225s to 205s should be 10mm difference at the inside and out, meaning I should clear the spring perch by a couple mill. I guess it's possible that I could scrub on full lock but I don't think this is likely as Tim didn't have this problem.

But, this brings me back to Tims thought of different depth hubs??

Couple more pics, I definitely need some lowered springs to get the look I'm after but still undecided on shocks. Ho-hum :-\

Cheers

Mick

post-3123-144023643156_thumb.jpg

post-3123-144023643161_thumb.jpg

What wheels are you running? I was under the impression that 16x8 +4's got pretty close to the stock front suspension?

Konis and lowered king springs, just about to cut the struts and go to GDB WRX HKS Height Adjustable Coilovers so i can get the front about 1.5" lower!:D It's close but i dont have any problems and i drive my car hard.

But, this brings me back to Tims thought of different depth hubs??

Here is the answer to all your problems: http://www.justjap.com/store/product.php?productid=17874&cat=&page=1 it will even make your car steer like stock and cheaper than new tyres!

Chris240: Rota didnt ever make the RB in 0 offset - was just wishfully thinking!

I can't get my head around front suspension in zeds... How can you fit a 17x8 +4 when my 15x7 +12 rubs? I'd love to know if I'm doing something wrong...

You are doing something wrong. You are trying to use a way too positive offset. You are trying to put your rim 12mm closer to suspension where im only moving it 4mm closer and bear in mind a Zed comes with a 0 offset stock.

It's all about the backspace of the rim

So your rim is 7" wide (177.8mm) and mine is 8" (203.2mm)

Half of that 88.9mm and 101.6mm respectively and this is the the centre line of the wheel.

Now yours sits inboard 12mm and mine sits in 4mm

This gives us the overall backspaces at 100.9 and 105.6

So not heaps of difference there.

But then you are going to have a tyre with a bulging sidewall on the smaller 7" rim and as Bruce said the strut leans in at the top.

Your +12 rims must not rub by very much at all unless you have a 260Z?

16x8" +4 on a 240Z front strut

rotawheels009kr4.jpg

hmmm interesting pic of your strut/perch. looks like an easy inch youve got there. I definetely havent got that much clearance with identical rims & offset & struts.

You definetely have a touch more camber than me.

Are you guys running the same Tyres too?

Tim could be onto something.

Konis and lowered king springs, just about to cut the struts and go to GDB WRX HKS Height Adjustable Coilovers so i can get the front about 1.5" lower!:D It's close but i dont have any problems and i drive my car hard.

What's your plan with the Kings/Konis? I'm interested if they're up for sale.

Cheers

Mick

That's not my car - it's a guy on hybridz with an orange 240Z. He has a few good pics of 16x8 +4 RB-R fitment on there. Just search in google "rota 16x8 site:hybridz.org" and it's like the second link i think only 2 pages.

I agree about the tyres, if you have tyres with buldgey sidewalls it will cut down your space by a lot. I feel inspired now I'll take a photo of my perch clearance tomorrow morning just out of interest.

Chris240: If i was running more camber it would be closer to the strut?

Cozza: Yeah i will be selling all of it as soon as i fit the coilovers. I just need to pull my finger out and get it done really. It's all pretty much brand new too, as the guy i bought it off fitted all the suspension and then the car came off the road. I only drive it a few times a month too. PM me and we can work something out.

Chris240: If i was running more camber it would be closer to the strut?

Nope, because the whole strut, kingpin and hub are one complete fixed assembly.

If you dial in more camber you are either moving the strut top inwards (to the centreline of the car) or spacing the lower control arm outwards, if your lucky enough to own one of those nice sets of AZC adjustable arms.

The space between the tyre and the strut will remain the same at all times.

There is only 3 ways i can think of to gain more space.

1. Spacers.

2. Different wheels with a lower offset (moves the whole wheel outwards)

3. Coil overs, then you get a narrower spring and perch, and hectic adjustability bro!

d3c0y,

I have a 260Z and it scrubs only at full lock. I didn't know that 260Z front hubs were different to 240Z but I guess you learn something new everyday! I think I should be trial fitting some of the other (lower offset) wheels I have laying about at home and see how I go  8)