Azman

What motor should I run?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What motor should I run?

• Worked L28
    • RB30
    • RB26DETT
    • Small Block Chev

I'm not after a massive performance, otherwise I would have bought a later car, so the noise of a V8 is the go for me once I get off my P's, thats after I get my P's, so long to wait.

So after seeing the video of the midnight blue supercharged 350 going around the net a few years ago, my votes 4 the small block chev.

Although I'm open for convincing.

Cheers,

JP.

After seeing Darius's Z ripping it up and snorting with that V8, it's pretty appealing. I would probably go for an RB of some description myself, or an L28, purely because of the cost difference, but if it came down to preference and if money were no obstacle, I'd get the Chevy. :)

• 1 year later...

you really need to ask yourself what you want from your car if its a just a brighten up and go bit faster either the l28 or rb 30 would be great if your after a weekend toy and budget is pretty big rb26 is an amazing engine and power is really only limited by budget

the 350 chev is a good solid base good hp potential the only problem with 350 chev i see is gearbox plenty choice for autos but 5 speed or 6 speed boxes can cost big bucks so allow for that in any calculations if your serious about 350 chev you must buy the jags that run book how to install 350 chev into 240z its like the v8 zed bible amazing book that will step u through install

not real sure which i would vote for though out of the list would be rb26 if i had the budget to do it properly

for a v8 i perfer the newer ls1 with 6 speed box 400 hp straight up and plenty upgrades if you want too

one thing i would say is dont get caught up in cost of engine anything other than the l28 hot up i would say what ever the motor costs double it to allow for everything involve in trnasplant

mick

• Administrators

I'll vote for a L28, built correctly it will put out a decent amount of power.

Plus its the original engine and so you will spend far less and have less hassles with engineering and all the expenses of an engine swap. Its also easy enough to work on and leaves some cash for other cool mods.

I personally think great brakes, suspension and an LSD will make the car alot more enjoyable. For me the stock brakes make me cringe.

Yeah I wanted to go with original engine but decided to get good reliable power it cost too much. Plus a worked original L series 6 will have little bottom end power if at all,

I've thought about going RB but in that case it's still a conversion and I already have the Lexus V8, In fact It's currently running in a 180B.

V8's have the best of both worlds, a nice smooth power curve from idle and decent too end. Plus if I want more power it's not that hard to get and doesn't make it unreliable.

not sure on this but i have approval in tassie for 5.7 ltr and friend in sydney has approval for 5.7 ltr also know of someone in adeliade talking to engineer about 5.7 ltr tassie doesent have weight formula but nsw does

remember that you can use weight of heavist 260z or 280z to use in formula which is 1110 kg in nsw thats by 5 so works out to 5550 cc with small tolerance allowing 5669 cc

but if vic is by 4 your out of luck might need to move to tassie lol

mick

• Administrators

Yeah I wanted to go with original engine but decided to get good reliable power it cost too much. Plus a worked original L series 6 will have little bottom end power if at all,

By worked do you mean NA or Turbo? I don't know why people think they have no bottom end power but I've driven a mean L28 that was NA on Twin SU's and it had plenty of bottom end power the thing was a torque monster.

i think what v8datto is saying is the torque compared to a v8. I know there are some guys on hybridz ( i want big phils engine ) getting some serious torque but they have also spent serious money . So i think it is making big torque figures in an L6 is costlier and more work, than a lazy (even stock ) 350 chev.

That said a fully sorted ITB efi turbo l6 would be a ball tearer would be NIIIIIIIICE !

There are so many engines too choose from and as you said, with the right setup you can get good power out of a NA/Turbo L6.

I'm not 100% on this engine yet, it's my plan at the moment and as everyone knows plans change.

If I had an endless supply of money I'd go for a RB26DETT but the 6-7K price tag for a half cut is just too much, If I use the Lexus it cost me $0. The chances of me using the original L6 is very slim so I'm going to have to pay the conversion cost either way

• 3 months later...

I prefer to stick to an L series engine. Which is what originally come in the ZED cars.

I have a Fuel Injected L28 Turbo.

But at least stick with an inline six I am voting worked L28

The 2J is a totally awesome engine with shite loads of torque and a very reliable engine.    For $200, as long as there is nothing wrong with it, then thats a bargain.  However, mounting a 2J into a Z is most likely going to cost you a fair amount of money in engine mount fabrication etc.  I cant say enough for these engines though and I have an RB25DET :P

I believe there is someone doing that exact conversion on the site somewhere, do a search and see what ya can find.