Kyle's XR6 turbo Zed

Sorry Craig, i didnt mean to come across like that, but this is a straight 6 as opposed to a V8 set up, and to me that sets it apart from the U.S. and Aussie V8 or even V12 's running around, I guess I should have emphasised that in my post.

And thats the main point, it's not a soft option V8 upgrade, its a ride thats had a lot more engineering put into it, as far as keeping with the cars originality regarding the motor configeration you have to admit a 4.0L L6 is much more impressive than an 8 or 12.

Cheers

John

The car will only feature when its 100% complete so thats still another couple of years away.

I didn't realise that there was such a thing as 100% complete. There is alway something more you can upgrade or re-upgrade  ;D.

No worries John. I just thought I would throw in my 20cents ha. Mind you you would be surprised how much engineering goes into a good V8 conversion. So we will have to beg to differ one point as I am most impressed by big HP and handling on the track. But I totally agree this is going to be an awesome vehicle and can't wait to see it on the road. Some how I don't think it will ever be finished. Referring to 100%. A bit like mine. Had it 15 years and still heaps to do. But that is what keeps us going, striving for perfection.

I still say get that power steering in while you are at it Kyle.  :)

I didn't realise that there was such a thing as 100% complete. There is alway something more you can upgrade or re-upgrade  ;D.

So true.  12 months ago I thought if I could get my car to where it is now it'd be complete.  Now I'm there and there's still a masive list of things to improve.  Doesn't help when I see things like Kyle's suspension arm either  ;D

• 4 months later...

Hey Guys and Girls

Its been to long since i posted here. Not much has really happened with the Zed. Mainly money and other issues to deal with. Here is a few pics of the Zed now. sorry i haven't been posting up. One bad news is that the turbocharger wont be good for very long. There is a crack on the exhaust side of the turbo where a bolt screws in, its not cracked all the way but it soon will so i will need another turbo in the future. Which sucks bad  :(

Update: The guys were able to find a exhaust housing for the turbo. Some guy came in with a blown turbo and the exhaust was in good shape so was able to swap so turbo is all good now :D

Whats been done:

- The rocker cover and Nizpro plemun painted red

- The stock fuel injectors have been high flowed

- Ecu installed in the engine bay

- Gave them a genuine Ford starter motor to be put in

- Heater hoses done so i can have heat in the car. Yay!!

- Surge tank for the fuel tank

- Bigger fuel lines

And a few other things which i cant remember right now, but will post when i can remember.

Enjoy!!  :D

SP_A0139.jpg

P1010116.jpg

P1010122.jpg

P1010112.jpg

P1010111.jpg

Yes that black thing in the back there is the ecu. lol!!

P1010117.jpg

Heater hoses installed :D

P1010124.jpg

Have you got any pics of the crack in the turbo, it might not be as bad as you think.

no i havent but the guy said that it will crack right through eventually. or i can just get another exhaust side of the turbo, dont need aonther turbo. I dont want a bolt coming lose. will see if he can take a pic of it.

• Moderators

Wasn't there enough cable to install the ECU in the cabin? In the engine bay is not the best place for electronics... That's the one thing that kills everything! That's why crank angle sensors etc die in cars; too much heat!

All LS1 commodores have their ECU's in the engine bay. With a small heat sheild in front of the LH headers. CAS's fail due to heat but this problem has been accelerated by poor build quality. The original ones lasted a long time, now everyone buys the cheaper ones than fork out for an expensive factory one only to have them fail much quicker.

• 3 months later...

Got some items from ArizonaZcar today :D

Mustache bar (4.75 bolt spacing)

P1010120.jpg

P1010125.jpg

Brace kit for finned cover 

P1010121.jpg

tail shafts that will  be used to make a custom tail shaft

P10101222.jpg

Top: Ford Falcon tailshaft

Middle: Gearbox yoke

Bottom: Skyline GTR tailshaft

don't have any updates at the moment. I will be taking all the stuff that i have for the drivetrain for the Zed on friday so i will have an update then :D

Awesome gear.

Your not serious about selling?

I really dont want to.  :'( Just some personal issues have come up again and as always it involves money.... sigh..... BUT its just a thought......

Seems that people caught the "i wanna sell my car" Bug after the Rust Repair day... Our cars make us unique and it's a bugger when you're forced into a situation. I'm sure if someone did buy it they would finish it and keep us all informed of the progress, But Kyle, all that work? See how you go i'm +1 for kyle not selling.

yeah thanks hunterzed and every one else for all your positive feedback. yeah just wanted to be different thats all

ok now i havent posted up a progress report for a while now coz nuthin much had happened. needed to pay off a few part before they could start work on it.

But the have just finished modifyin the nizpro intake plenum so here is a couple of pics i got today

260Z02.jpg

Enjoy  ;D

KKR Intercooler is a nice fit

Ahhhh Kyle, well even I would have considered buying this car if it was an auto and a 2+2. But like I always say don't let these builds go on for too long.

I will keep my fingers crossed you sort out your matters and keep the car. It's a beast and anybody considering building would have to seriously look at your car if they were after a modified car.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

keeping the Zed :D  yay!

Anyways..... no updates on the Zed. Still in the same state when i last saw it in march. sigh! but hopefully will have it drivable by the end of the year :)

just a pic of a pair of subaru wrx seats i decided to get for the Zed

P1010133.jpg