Tim's 73' 240Z Build Up

So the L24 came out two days ago and I've since wedged on of my L28 engines in. I'm surprised at how much bigger they are. They seem to only just clear the bonnet.

What you talk'n bout Willis?

They are the same height. The block and head = same height. So unless you have the engine mounts around the wrong way and the engine is not on the correct angle they will sit the same in the engine bay. Do you know what the L28 was from? Maybe if from a patrol they use different mounting = engine is in a different location etc. But L24 to L28 swap = same location in the engine bay. Can I make that point any clearer?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Its probably just a psychological thing :P your brain is telling you its bigger because you know the engine displacement is bigger.

Maybe you're right, I've been noticing other things seem bigger since the 'big block' went in as well. And I've started walking funny, like there's a softball under each of my arm pits, and I kind of swing my chest from side to side. ;D

I also believe it could be to do with the fact that this is the first time I've had the bonnet off (to replace the engine) and been working on the engine from the front ::) 

Great news ;D ;D ;D

Turns out the dizzy's on L series engines spin anti-clockwise instead of the usual clockwise which I am used to playing with....doh. Never even thought to check.

So the L28 (with carbs and L24 points dizzy) is running like a champ once the plugs were firing in the right order ::) Just have to hook up the drive shaft as hopefully it'll move under its own steam. Of course I will have to sit on a milk carton and control the throttle with a rope, but who hasn't?

that used to get me on the 510 all the time, stupid backwards rest of the world. Good to hear you've got it running, may be able to help you with seats if you need them i have a spare pair of 2+2 seats if they fit, need reupholstering but beats the shit out of milk cartons

Here's a youtube vid of my Z running with the L28. I emptied what gunk was in the oil damper pots and refilled with 3cc of dextron III. Do you know how hard it is to find that info, not so much what oil but how much oil.

Have a look at their operation in the vid and see if the SU's are performing ok.

Stupid me left the choke on so it blows some smoke.

I've done some cleaning up of underneath the car. The whole floor pan was coated in rubber so my grinder was doing a 'burn out' the whole time and I had to wear a respirator. It's probably not as bad as I thought, as there is still good steal close to the rusted hole sections, but I will have to replace the chasis rails.

Picture250636138.jpg

Picture250636139.jpg

Picture250636140.jpg

Picture250636159-1.jpg

And I've also replace the clutch master and slave cylinder:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,5316.0.html

Picture250636153.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted Rare Spare but they said it would be two months before they got any more floor pans in. :( Then today I got in touch with All Z Parts and he had some so they are on their way. I have picked up some rectangle steel section too for the chasis rails. I wanted to make them out of stronger guage material. How do you seperate the seat rails from the floor and tunnel without disfiguring it too much?

I also ordered a carpet kit from Tru-fit. Not real sure on their reputation as there isn't too much info on here regarding good or bad mobs, plus I think these guys are fairly new.

I pulled the rocker cover off the other day as the L28 started blowing a bit of smoke and it wasn't black :-\ When you rev it nothing comes out of the rocker breather hole just exhaust? I'm hoping it is just the fuel I put in it which I had drained out of the two 280's I had, into old oil 5L bottles and it's has gone a bit two-strokey. Anyway at least I have been able to tune the Su's on it with a uni-sync borrowed from a mate. Still not real sure whether anything was happening when I screwed in or out the mixture nut underneath. There are a couple of good youtube vids for tuning SU's, not on Z's though.

Picture250636221.jpg

Been doing some stripping back of areas and finding some good solid steel but also some rusty sections. It will eventually need a respray but I might find myself stripping it back to bare metal sooner than I thought. I've also had adequate time to clean out my shed so the Zed can live in there, apparently my wife had been counting the days it had been sitting on our patio. :-*

Picture250636232.jpg

Picture250636233.jpg

Picture250636234.jpg

I've been playing with the throttle linkage too and found a cable plate that fits over the linkage shaft making the engine side of a cable conversion complete, now the foot pedal.......

Picture250636238.jpg

Picture250636237.jpg

Put the 280zx's mags on as well because the rubber they had was an extra 30mm a side so it looks a lot phatter than the jelly beans.

Picture250636213.jpg

Picture250636215.jpg

Picture250636217.jpg

Keep it up

How do you seperate the seat rails from the floor and tunnel without disfiguring it too much?

The seat rails are spot welded on, so theoretically you should just be able to drill them out.

Since I was replacing my rails and not my floors, this was too tedious for me so I ended up just cutting them off and ripping the fold out with multigrips.

I'm really digging those headers!

I seriously wouldn't care if I lost 10hp with those headers. They look sweet and add at least 50hp without the engine running. A set of tripples and I'm right. ;)

Regarding the smoke the L28's been blowing recently, I bought a compression tester today and each pot is pretty much at 120psi. I know this isn't bad but what would you expect from a low km engine........140psi?? I'll drain the fuel tank and start again with some cleaner fuel.

My carpet kit arrived today. Fairly happy with the quality and fit of most bits. The piece under the seat doesn't even remotely suit unless I've got something round the wrong way which is why I'm including some photos.  I've also got some photos of two longer sections which I can't really find a place for. They seem to have cut outs for the seat rails i think, but I thought that section was for vinyl.

boot

Picture250636239.jpg

Picture250636240.jpg

Picture250636242.jpg

???

Picture250636243.jpg

Picture250636241.jpg

Picture250636245.jpg

Picture250636244.jpg

Where did you get your carpets from, they look like the ones I've got, I recut the ones behind the seat and got them restiched.

I also ordered a carpet kit from Tru-fit. Not real sure on their reputation as there isn't too much info on here regarding good or bad mobs, plus I think these guys are fairly new.

So your behind the seat sections looked like mine originally?

So your behind the seat sections looked like mine originally?

Yep, I got mine from them too, I took them back to get them restiched. Don't know what those rear pieces are made too fit, is a 260 any different behind the seats?

Someone heard through the Townsville grapevine that I had a running L28 (two actually) and wanted to buy one. So I sold them the one I had in the Z atm. Today I pulled the L28 out and swapped all the carbs, manifolds, plugs, coolant piping, dizzy etc over onto the original L24 but tapped the whole thing for a youtube vid...... why I don't know.

Enjoy:

Someone heard through the Townsville grapevine that I had a running L28 (two actually) and wanted to buy one. So I sold them the one I had in the Z atm. Today I pulled the L28 out and swapped all the carbs, manifolds, plugs, coolant piping, dizzy etc over onto the original L24 but tapped the whole thing for a youtube vid...... why I don't know.

Enjoy:

That is so cool....You have talent & how quick do you work..