Dismantling Rear suspension, got stuck

herrods

Hey all, I have gotten a little stuck dismantling the rear suspension components on my 260.

Im trying to replace brakes (conversion to disc) springs, structs and the bushes.  So I need to pull the whole thing apart.  I have gotten to a point where I have to pull the strut/brake assembly out of the car.  I have the service manual and teh Haynes book as well, but neither are helping me.

There is a spindle that connects the bottom of the brake/strut assembly to the lower control arm.  The books both say to undo the bolts on both ends, and the locking bolt in the middle and release the locking pin, (all done).  Then it says that the spindle can be pulled out.

Pulled out turned to tapped out, which turned to belt out, it moves about half an inch in either direction before it stops like its hitting something, but I cant figure out what it is.

Can anyone think of a way to remove this piece, without doing so i fear my zed will be in pieces for ever!!!

• Administrators

This is a real pita on early Zcars. The spindle pin is often not easy to remove and many use a "spindle pin puller" to remove it. I think some guys at hybridz.org were making them up a while ago.

I would pull the whole strut assembly and take it to a suspension shop and ask them to press it out. You might need to buy new spindle pins from Nissan if you have damanaged the thread on them trying to smash them out.

• Moderators

The problem is if somebody doesnt install the locking bolt correctly, and they end up hammering it into place, it burrs the sides of the flat part of the spindle pin making it bigger meaning when it comes time to remove it, it moves back and forth but not out! When I removed mine, it just needed extra brute force to hammer them out with a suitable drift to "extrude" it through the smaller hole of the a-arm. I think new pins from Nissan are around $120 each....I think..

If all else fails get a bigger hammer. The Threads are probably stuffed by now so swing away. It took my copper 2 lb hammer to persuade mine. Last price i was quoted in September from Nissan was $80.00 each .If that's still the case try MSA. $28.40 Us each

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/SSSC01C02/23-4240 . last time they sent me some they charges $31.00 Us Postage.

Hey Dave I,ve heard guys from HybirdZ have spent up to eight hours to remove these pins

The spindle pin puller is the go, Its normally on Ebay USA but it cant find it ATM.

Do a search on Hybirdz "spindle pin puller"

Dave here's a link How to build a spindle pin puller

http://www2.zhome.com:81/ZCMnL/tech/SpindlePinTool.htm

A very usefull link of most things to do Step by step withs pictures

http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/

Hope this helps              Pauly

A propane torch was the best investmant I made in disassembling the suspension and steering in my Z. Everything is so much more cooperative when hot.

Penetrating oil or a WD40 overnight bath has also helped on occasion.

Make sure not to damage the thread if youre bashing away too hard!

As I posted last year, surely someone here in the Club has the machining skills to build a spindle pin puller,as per the article on the zhome site, donate it to the Club, then hire it out to who ever needs it & the Club gets some revenue. Just a thought!!!

Well soon after posting this i found several posts covering the same thing.  my seach terms (thingy, stuck, pole, arrrrrgh) werent accurate enough

anyway, i pulled the whole control arm out and intend to bash it out with it off the car as i have already stuffed the threads so i need new ones anyway.

As i was looking at it, i would say a threaded cylinder that can be screwed on, with a loop welded into the end of it, and then the use of a slide hammer may also work, not sure if that would work or not, but but in my head it sounds more simple than the thread pulling idea.

• Administrators