The official viczcar cycling thread

KatoKid

So after having a rather impromptu drive afternoon yesterday with Ben the @Hardman  and Matt Moss @mossy and stopping for coffee and talking endless cycling shit I thought I would start this thread for all things cycling. Other offenders that I know are @Gordo and @CBR Jeff any other offenders feel free to join in, haters need not apply.

Given that PF is pretty hard core its surprising that their road cycling thread has by far the highest page count on their forum so I figure there must be others out there in the Z scene that are pedalfiles.

Post away gentlemen.....your highs and lows, rides and advice or questions but remember, if its not on Strava it didn't happen!

I love my cycling. but this time of year i keep it to a minimum. once the warmer weather comes around i start riding to work a few times a week. last weekend i went up the warby trail and stopped at the Millgrove bakery. the coffee machine was out of order. i couldn't get my caffeine fix. struggled all the way home. lol.

On 7/21/2019 at 10:02 PM, gav240z said:

Does cycling into work count?

Hope so, I'm a commuter cyclist, literally rain, hail (ouch!) and shine :).

Warby trail is lovely, haven't done that for many years. Last time was in summer so no coffee, but did stop at the Launching Place pub for a beer on the way back.

1 hour ago, redrbzed said:

Does mountain biking count?

For me....even more so. I'm a MTB'er first and raodie second!

Anytime you want a ride in the Dandenong's or Silvan let me know.

Nice one Dave.

I don’t ride road at all, scares me too much, but love the big tours. At this time of year I do watch the tour most evenings. Own about 6 Mountain bikes but can only ride one at a time. Don’t do Strava just use my Garmin when I remember to charge it. Hate riding up hills but love going down :-). We are truly lucky with all the riding in Canberra. Stromlo is my home hill and I ride it most weeks. Quite involved with the sporting side on MTB from an organising and officiating stand point, gave up racing a few years ago, but might do a 3 or 4 hour race this spring. 24 hour races was where it was at (in a team not solo). 

I have actualy been spending far too much time on my new bike and snow sking and not enough time working on the Z.

Jeff

XCM and longer MTB races for me as I'm not fast enough to compete with the young whippets over short distances! I have done a bit of track and few road races and 3 Peaks etc. on the roadie. The longer the better.

My 7 year Z project would have been completed in less than half that if not for riding!

On 7/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, mossy said:

You calling me Matt too Dave ;D

Cyclocross is my favorite discipline followed by MTBing (especially when its  slick and muddy)

Photo by freewheel images

13458546_1034808196610897_3920293073833446511_o.jpg.73d0530215bf5fa11ef6cb5820c967b1.jpg

Handup??

Im having quad envy............

Jeff

• Administrators
41 minutes ago, CBR Jeff said:

Handup??

Jeff

Used to do squats/deadlifts weekly, still couldn't build quads like that.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:36 PM, CBR Jeff said:

I don’t ride road at all, scares me too much, but love the big tours. At this time of year I do watch the tour most evenings. Own about 6 Mountain bikes but can only ride one at a time. Don’t do Strava just use my Garmin when I remember to charge it. Hate riding up hills but love going down :-). 

I was that way too but needed some variety so went for a roadie....but still worries me about being cleaned up.

Only two MTB's for me, both 100mm XC. One hard tail and one dually for longer races.

Love riding up hills ;D and a moderately good descender but nothing like some of the Enduro/DH guys do....I'm not brave enough or too old :(

7 hours ago, CBR Jeff said:

Handup??

Jeff

Quads have taken a hit after barely riding for 3 months but looking forward to a big cx ride this weekend, Jeff beer handups are one of the great things about cyclocross ;D

Dave it would be good to get a few guys together for a mtb ride sometime, maybe at Lysty or Buxton, I shouldnt be too far away from getting a mtb again.

I'm  going to Derby in November with a few mates and 100mm XC bike isn't going to cut it so looking for enduro/trail 140mm+ travel sized Medium to Large.

Anyone got one for sale? 

5 days @ $100 a day is a bit rich for hire. I'm hoping to a buy a bike and flip it afterwards for the same price (if I don't keep it) and be $500 better off

• 3 weeks later...

So doing my bit to support Rule #12 and bought this for Derby.

Hardly used 2016 Canyon Spectral AL 7.0 EX

Rode it for the first time yesterday and confirmed a few things: Long travel bikes and dropper posts are awesome but XC still rules.

IMG_4232.thumb.JPG.6611c537573f4daf1b5d100a3b757cbe.JPG

IMG_4233.thumb.JPG.a6ae9f1b9189b086b36e2fac82e45b7d.JPG

IMG_4234.thumb.JPG.1bcac36d823fb2df5d3bbe0bff30ddf4.JPG

Has a Reverb Stealth dropper that sticks with the last 20-30mm to extend. You can hold the button and pull the last bit up but feels like it goes through a tight spot. Any suggestions why and how to fix? Interweb is full of Reverb problems :(

Stand down!

Reverb problems fixed. Read on interwebs that over-tightened seat post clamp was common cause, didn't believe this but tried it and truth is truth.....and so it was.

Also 150 PSI instead of 250 PSI didn't help!

• 2 weeks later...

New disc rotor day.

Trusty hardtail training hack was well overdue for new rotors. I get about 600km out of a set of pads and about 2,500km for rotors and for some reason I cant bring myself to throw out the old parts so I've got good collection of worthless stainless and alloy.

370057405_IMG_42561.thumb.JPG.d23d89b1db333486fe0772a41f376283.JPG

1468112558_IMG_42571.thumb.JPG.a6ed29c508eb41ad036cd54db81f702a.JPG