Welding Helmet Buying Advice

Cozza

Gday all

I’m looking at buying an auto darkening welding helmet and wonder what people recommend as a reasonably priced unit that works well for a diy’er.

This one maybe?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Cigweld-Adjustable-Auto-Shade-Welding-Helmet-Shade-9-13-Blue/215565?menuFrom=1021419

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Mick that will be perfect for what you need. Only problem with them is to my understanding is you cant change the batteries in them. I had one for 7 years and used it almost every day and its only just stopped working now. My days of welding are done and now only do it every now and then when I want to. So now I just run my 2nd backup sheild a cigweld fixed shade black bucket style helmet.

Mick that will be perfect for what you need. Only problem with them is to my understanding is you cant change the batteries in them. I had one for 7 years and used it almost every day and its only just stopped working now. My days of welding are done and now only do it every now and then when I want to. So now I just run my 2nd backup sheild a cigweld fixed shade black bucket style helmet.

That is something I haven't thought about but you are right. I have had mine for probably 3 years now, and although I don't use it all the time, the battery has never even entered my mind. I am not even sure if I can change mine, although I should change the glass as it is getting messy. I think if you get 7 years, it has well and truly paid for itself ;) 

• Moderators

Hi Mick

I have two helmets, a Speedglas 9100 FX and a one similar to the one you are looking at.

The speedglas has a much larger viewer and a few other niceties but to be honest, for the occassional bit of home handy work, the cheaper one is all you need.

Do you want to borrow one or both to see what you think ? (After all I still have that R180 you lent me)

Cheers

PB

• Moderators

Thanks for the info and offer PB but all good, I will bite the bullet on the Sydney tools one.

Hey, are you heading up for the 12 hour this weekend?

I was planning on going, but a couple of things have come up that require me to stay in Sydney :(

Cheers

PB

It really depends on how good or bad your eyesight is. If you wear glasses or have poorer eyesight its worth investing in a better helmet as visibility is key to welding. 

I personally use a 3M Speedglas helmet and absolutely love it. I've used a Lincoln one before that failed to auto-darken when it needed it, so I returned that one.