Hello

Hello everyone, 
Pretty much a newbie when it comes to Z cars right now, especially with mechanical stuff, (almost no experience yet), however, after seeing a 240z in a car show once, it completely changed my life. Now I'm dying to buy one for myself. Not only to drive but to have a more practical experience working on cars rather than reading stuff online.

If anyone is thinking of selling a 280zx hit me up  ;) (I'd actually prefer a 240 or 260z but with the budget I have, I think 280zx is the only one I can afford right now).

Welcome.

Be careful.....there are some cheap and nasty 280ZX's out there.

As with all Z's of that era, they suffer from rust.

Having said that, there are some good examples out there, but they generally cost a little more!

Good luck.

Thanks

I've been searching for awhile, looking for the perfect one. I think I really good one came up so Im talking to the owner right now. Hopefully it works out well

Welcome and good luck with the prospective purchase.

Jeff

• Moderators

Hi Mate

Welcome to the forum.

As previously mentioned rust is the big worry, the mechanicals are reasonably simple and somewhat bullet proof.

Take you time do lots of research and a good car will come along, but it won't be the cheapest one available.

Where is the car that is 5hrs away ?

Good luck with the hunt.

Cheers

PB

Hi Mate

Welcome to the forum.

As previously mentioned rust is the big worry, the mechanicals are reasonably simple and somewhat bullet proof.

Take you time do lots of research and a good car will come along, but it won't be the cheapest one available.

Where is the car that is 5hrs away ?

Good luck with the hunt.

Cheers

PB

That's my main concern right now, trying to find one that has the least amount of rust. And I've also raised my budget as well knowing if it does come by, they won't be as cheap as I thought it would be. 

The car I'm looking at is located at Wolumla. So far the photographs and what the owners have said sounds promising. The main issue is that I probably won't be able to there just to have a look, thus pretty much relying on the photographs and what the owner has said. 

That's my main concern right now, trying to find one that has the least amount of rust. And I've also raised my budget as well knowing if it does come by, they won't be as cheap as I thought it would be. 

The car I'm looking at is located at Wolumla. So far the photographs and what the owners have said sounds promising. The main issue is that I probably won't be able to there just to have a look, thus pretty much relying on the photographs and what the owner has said. 

Ken, you need to be asking some questions ^-^

Ask for pics of:

The chassis rails and floor

The battery tray area

Front leading edge of bonnet

Petrol cap area

The rear hatch area

Around the windscreen and rear glass in the hatch

Doglegs behind front doors 

These are just a quick list I can think of, more will probably come to mind later! 

All these areas are prone to rust and need investigating. 

Good luck in your search!

These are on carsales presently.

These represent great value.

Especially when you compare buying a cheap car with problems/rust, which will end up costing you more in repairs over the long run.

The Series Two has the benefit of rack and pinion steering over the drag link/steering box set up of the Series One!

1983 280ZX Series Two, Manual 

$13,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-280ZX-1983/SSE-AD-4394662/?Cr=3

1982 280ZX, Series Two, Manual

$15,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-280ZX-1982/SSE-AD-4811969/?Cr=2

1979 280ZX, Series One, Manual

$14,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-280ZX-1979/SSE-AD-4872677/?Cr=1

Hope this helps ^-^

Edited by road rider

Ken, you need to be asking some questions ^-^

Ask for pics of:

The chassis rails and floor

The battery tray area

Front leading edge of bonnet

Petrol cap area

The rear hatch area

Around the windscreen and rear glass in the hatch

Doglegs behind front doors 

These are just a quick list I can think of, more will probably come to mind later! 

All these areas are prone to rust and need investigating. 

Good luck in your search!

Apparently, the owner of the car used some anti rust or protection product on the car so according to him its rust free, however, I'll still as him about those sections you mentioned. Thanks a lot for the heads up  :)

These are on carsales presently.

These represent great value.

Especially when you compare buying a cheap car with problems/rust, which will end up costing you more in repairs over the long run.

The Series Two has the benefit of rack and pinion steering over the drag link/steering box set up of the Series One!

1983 280ZX Series Two, Manual 

$13,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-280ZX-1983/SSE-AD-4394662/?Cr=3

1982 280ZX, Series Two, Manual

$15,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Nissan-280ZX-1982/SSE-AD-4811969/?Cr=2

1979 280ZX, Series One, Manual

$14,000

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-280ZX-1979/SSE-AD-4872677/?Cr=1

Hope this helps ^-^

I've never really considered it but is it expensive to get your car moved from one state to another. I've always limited my search within NSW regions and never considered looking into cars from other states.

I've never really considered it but is it expensive to get your car moved from one state to another. I've always limited my search within NSW regions and never considered looking into cars from other states.

I have had 3 cars brought from QLD -> VIC for $900 a piece. None ran, and one was just a shell (did not roll). I believe the company was named SupaTow (makes frequent trips from QLD to VIC as he brings trailers down).

Edit: I think I may have interpreted your question incorrectly..

Edited by Rickers

I have had 3 cars brought from QLD -> VIC for $900 a piece. None ran, and one was just a shell (did not roll). I believe the company was named SupaTow (makes frequent trips from QLD to VIC as he brings trailers down).

Edit: I think I may have interpreted your question incorrectly..

Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it further. I don't really have a car on sale in QLD or VIC right now but if it's not too expensive, I might really consider the potential to have it towed. 

Ron Jeremy would be proud of the amount of red velour in the red carsales car!

yeah, that's the main issue with this one. It's in NSW, looks like it's in real good condition. It's just the red velvet interior looks kinda eh.

Get My Ride is another interstate transport door to door.

Thanks a lot, I'll check them out.

If the car drives you should be able to get Qld to Sydney or Melb to Sydney for $500. You can always get a $79 tiger flight to look at it. If it's the right car drive it home or get a $79 tiger flight home.
If you spending 10-15k on a 280 there wouldnt be any issues driving it home from interstate if it had rego.

Edited by S30

If the car drives you should be able to get Qld to Sydney or Melb to Sydney for $500. You can always get a $79 tiger flight to look at it. If it's the right car drive it home or get a $79 tiger flight home.

If you spending 10-15k on a 280 there would be any issues driving it home from interstate if it had rego.

$500 to get it towed from one state to another doesn't sound too bad actually.

$500 to get it towed from one state to another doesn't sound too bad actually.

Yeah, Check out Ceva or get my ride. Syd to QLD / Syd to VIC is a very common trip so can be cost effective. Its trying to go across Aus is a expensive exercise.

Ron Jeremy would be proud of the amount of red velour in the red carsales car!

Ron Jeremy.....now that's fricken funny ;)

Red velour.....well what can I say about that! Nissan wasn't the only company using velour in car interiors around that time as well. 

It all comes together when you think back to 1979.......an era that was the Bee Gees, John Travolta and Saturday Night Fever.

What can I say, but Disco was big back then and so was the velour thing and 280ZX's and in the most gaudy colours.

I was never really a fan of some of the other colours on offer from Nissan at the time either. You were lucky if you got a black interior in my books, which was available .  

Long live disco and velour O0