15 X 8 (+0) Test Fit?

theremm

Test fitted my 15 x 8 (+0 offset) watanabes on the rear of the 240z this afternoon..

A lot of people seem to think that these fit fine however after trying them on the car they just seem way too wide?? I haven't settled on a tyre size.. however I was ideally thinking 225/50/15. I lowered the car as much as safely possible with some cushioning to simulate about the same ground clearance of a 225/50 tyre.

I was hoping someone in the Brisbane/SEQ region might be running a similar wheel/tyre combo and wouldn't mind if I visited to take a look at your car one afternoon? If it wasn't too much of an ask it would be great to even test fit the wheels on my car for reassurance.

I'm not feeling too confident of the fitment and didn't want to spend money on a second pair of wheels and/or tyres at this stage.. I only have the 1 pair of watanabes currently.

I should note - I do not want to roll the inner lips of the rear guards at all, however want to ensure the tyres won't be scrubbing. I drive the car very regularly and currently have pretty standard suspension/springs. Future plans are for konis etc and king springs, I think.

post-103451-0-81826100-1491027084_thumb.jpg

post-103451-0-96050800-1491027111_thumb.jpg

post-103451-0-78394400-1491027198_thumb.jpg

The regular size on tye Perf Ind Superlites s 15x8 with a +4 offsett.

With a 225/50x15 the guard lip does get ht.

With the rims at 0, and your desired tyre, yes, it will get cut into the sidewall, badly.

A fair bit of trimming of the guard lip will be needed, and, at a fair amount of bump, the top edge of tyre will hit the inner guard, that wont he too much of an issue.

Maybe consider a 205/55 tyre, something a bit narrower in tread, but at 55 aspect, it will pull in a bit.

Another option if there is sufficient meat in the hub backside, have it faced off by say 4 or 5 mm

Wheel Revolution at Slacks Creek has the facility to do this.

Thanks everyone for the input so far. 

PB - Would be great if you were in QLD and I could test fit them on my car!

Gareth - Great suggestion, I will try this to see how close the wheel comes to the guard through the full range of motion.

Dat2kman - I hadn't considered a 205 section tyre as I thought at first that might be too narrow, but perhaps that could solve the problem? Also not a bad idea to take some metal off the backside of the wheel, however I think I may as well go to a 15x7/7.5 and sell the 8" in that scenario

I had 225/50/16x8 +4s on my 240Z and with rolled lips on the back it was fine. I don't think the 4mm extra you have would make a big difference on that.

Out of interest, why don't you want to roll the rear lips? There is a mobile guy that comes around and does a great job. He has done both my Rx-7 and 240Z and did a great job both times.

I've attached a pic of the job on my Rx-7 where he even flared the guards slightly to accommodate some really wide wheels (ignore the stupid tyres). On the 240Z you can't even tell it was done unless you put your fingers inside the guards and feel for the lip.

I'm in East Brisbane if you want to come around and talk zeds sometime.

post-100549-0-05767000-1491102915_thumb.jpg

post-100549-0-28888300-1491102978_thumb.jpg

post-100549-0-53562400-1491103341_thumb.jpg

post-100549-0-35334300-1491103366_thumb.jpg

Those wheels look nice and I do agree, from a distance you can't tell at all that the lips have been rolled. To be honest however I just can't bring myself to do it. The body is in such great shape overall.. 

Yes it would be good to meet some more Brisbane members - I bought my rear bumper from you actually :) 

• Moderators

PB - Would be great if you were in QLD and I could test fit them on my car!

Mate, if I was local to you would indeed help with test fitting.

Surely there is someone running that size on a Datsun up that way, have you tried other forums like ozdat ?

Cheers

PB

For the past couple years I have run 205/50/15's on 15x7 0 offset with no problem.

2 weeks back I ran 225/45/15 semi slicks on 15x8 +4 offset at eastern creek on a track day, again, no problem.

Suspension travel is different between road and track driving as you are not likely to hit bumps and potholes on the track. But in saying that, my suspension is not very hard and I get a bit of body roll. I was pleasantly surprised I had no tyre scrub with the 225/45/15's on a 15x8 +4 on my 9/72 240Z.

With 0 offset wheels, maybe you will get a little scrub to the guard lip but the options above of machining the back of the wheel or rolling the guard lip sound appropriate to me. I can't imagine you would need to pump the guards though.

Good luck

Mick

You seriously couldn't tell close up either. At the end of the day if you want the look you don't have an option.

It's like running flares without cutting the guards, it just won't look the same.

I remember now, we can meet up at the next Cars and Coffee if you go?

Alexander, if you want to try a 225/50x15 on a 15x8 at +4, I have a few sets,

You can throw them on, then jack up diagonal corner and look/feel for any issues.

That will give you a good indication what a wider, by 4mm rim, will then do

I also have some 205/50x15 mounted that you can check for clearance.

I'm up on the Peninsula.

Bring one of your rims for me to look at the inside hub face.

Edited by dat2kman

Hi guys,

Nope I haven't got an Ozdat account PB. I feel bad joining a new forum and asking for a favour first up, lol. If no luck here I will give that a go, but seems Jason might be able to help me out.

D3coy - yeah I purchased the 15x8s under the impression they wouldn't need any guard rolling.. I don't care too much about having the widest wheel, I really just wanted to fill the guards out nicely. Maybe I'm better off with some 15x7s. I should be at next cars and coffee so I will send you a message beforehand and we can coordinate to catch up :)

Cozza - do you have coilovers?

Jason - that would be awesome and much appreciated. Particularly keen to test fit the 205/50/15 but will throw on the 225/50s too if you have some spare time. Is the peninsula the new name for your place at the Gap or have you moved?

See avatar and location, yes!

Ah, nice. A little farther out for me now but i'll be in touch sometime soon as am definitely keen to try them on :) 

No coilovers, I run standard struts with king low springs an tokico illumina shocks front and rear.

Thanks Cozza.