Challenge Bathurst 2017

24 Dat

I'm probably getting a little off topic, but what is the point of having a logbooked car and what do they check?

Does it allow entry to certain events, say Phillip Island historics or something similar?

Edited by Gareth. J.

Gareth there are some events that only road registered cars or log booked cars can enter.

Must be due to insurances or something. The bathurst challenge is one of those events.

So a car like mine that has neither of those things cant play. Basically having a log book means

cams know someone has looked at the car and says its ok to compete.

Thanks for the tip on RC dat2kman

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just an update the ZCCQ will be able to manage an entire group of 55 and have covered pits with 5 cars per garage, but we have to fill it quickly before the entries are open to the general public, i still have 6 spots left, so if you are considering joining us please PM me asap.

Here is a internet story posted on the Drive.com website, the Z's are shown quite a bit, so worth watching, and it gives you a good summary of what the event is all about http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/feature-tackling-the-mountain-with-challenge-bathurst-20161204-gt3yt4.htmland only 169 days to go

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I have 3 spots left in group Z (e), organised by the ZCCQ for  the Regularity,  Entries are nearly full in both the 4 Super Sprint and the 5 Regularity groups for this entire event.  I will lose those 3 spots please PM me ASAP as i only have a few days to fill them, we have one amazing group of Z's and other Nissan/Datsun's and other cars entering this group. 

Even if you aren't competing or volunteering please plan to come out to Challenge Bathurst Mount Panorama from the 16th to the 19th of November its is going to be an  amazing few days.

Check out the write up and especially the Z's in the second photo on the Cams website https://www.cams.com.au/media/news/latest-news/take-the-ultimate-speed-challenge-at-mount-panoramago the Z's

• 4 weeks later...

Did a bit of a YouTube survey on 2016 speeds by some modern high performance cars whose owners had fitted them with various speed indicating devices. NB Zedders, not one Z indicated it's speed except my poor effort which is improved for 2017. Anyway, max speeds. Mountain Straight 200, Conrod 250 and backing off through the Kink. Something to aim for boys  >:D

Going fast across the top is where it's at for Bathurst.

Going as fast as i can around the whole circuit, is where its at for me ;)  ;)  ;) , Group Z's (Group e) catch cry is "We Drive Fast Regularly " 

Woohoo 90 days to go 

Why the fixation with going fast through the kink???

One of the easiest parts of the track.

Going fast across the top is where it's at for Bathurst.

It's interesting to see how the Kink is treated, the really fast blokes go through it flat and then brake, others who can be quite fast too brake before the Kink and trail throttle through it then brake again which I can't see the sense in. Pretty well all have serious aero compared with the average Zed.

Of course the top is where time can be made up but it's also where you can crash big time if you push it just a bit too hard. Then your weekend is stuffed. Besides aero really is king there, you just can't compete with modern downforce. I suspect that the faster Zeds are only about 20 kph slower than the modern high performance cars I mentioned which is pretty damn good but most of them have not caught up with what's available as far as speed indication goes. That's taking old school just a bit too far.

Nah......

The kink is one of the easiest corners to drive in Australia. Head over to the left, drop the left wheels onto the shoulder at the gate tip it in and hit the picks either just before or at the bottom of the dip, depending on the car.

It is only really challenging when you are driving beside someone and you have to give each other room so you don't touch, otherwise it is messy.

I found turn one at the Eastern Creek more challenging, and the kink at Lakeside with the bumps is also more of a challenge.

Paul Stubber managed 300km/h in his TCM Camaro, it certainly doesn't have modern aero.

And back in the mid 90's when Keith Carling was running the 300ZX, still with VG power in sports sedans he cracked near enough to 300km/h with basic only aero of the time. If I was home I could drag out and scan my photos of the car's aero.

The kink comes down to how brave you are. 

When I was driving the medical car at Bathurst I was doing a confirmed, by plod supplying the speeds to the officials for the shootout,  197km/h through the kink in a standard V6 moo VP wagon with three up and another 150kg of gear in the back. It came down to how brave you were. The brakes were pretty ordinary when I pulled up at the back of the field to wait for the start with smoke pouring out from under the guards.

In my Zed it was probably at 210 to maybe 220km/h, so same as the kink at Lakeside doing the Chase descent starting at the Light Car club at the top of Conrod. And braking was at the bottom of the dip for the left right combination to get out of the chase.

Much more fun was doing 170km/h or so across the top, where you had to be perfect in placing the car on the track as you didn't want to bin it for a variety of reasons.

Different strokes then Matt, I found the Lakeside kink no problem, flat out at 210. The hardest corner at Lakeside is Hungry, lots to do in about half a second with time to be made if everything came together. This will be only my second go at Bathurst, there is no circuit in Q where I can go flat out and so make up for lugging the extra weight around. Anyway, as I said, it would be good if more Zeds run in car cameras with speed indicators, there was some great Z action in 2016 and there will be more this year so let's record some of it.

Must disagree about Carling's 300ZX, it was a Sports Sedan with for a start more aero than a jumbo jet compared with any regularity Zed that ran in 2016.

As in a previous post, one way of recording your speed accurately is to use a GPS speedo and film it as part of a incar camera view. The GPS speedo in the Zed in 2016 was rubbish so I have another one, the type often advertised by British motorsport web sites but bought online here for a $120 including postage, cheaper than the Brit's want. Pic shows it mounted on top of the dash as it searches for signals in vain inside the shed.

post-101215-0-62516400-1503374711_thumb.jpg

Yeah, nah on a GPS being accurate in a car. There are so many variables in terms of GPS operation that affects the accuracy from the time of day, weather, cloud and tree cover, where you are in the world and whether you are using GPS, Glasnoss, or both systems, and then whether you are using deferentially corrected GPS or not, and then if it is corrected data is that done on the fly or post processed.

Even with a "good" accuarcy of +/5 metres your measured speed can vary by a few km/h quite easily.

Only way to really know how accurate is to look at the data stream whilst it is being recorded and check the PDoP, HDoP and VDoP figures in conjunction with the number and location of satellites in the sky the receiver is seeing.

Best way to get accurate speed of travel in a car is to use calibrated wheel speed sensors.

Well accurate enough for the purpose is what I'm getting at, the one pictured seems to be one of the better ones and checked OK against the Jeep's speedo. Maybe wheel speed sensors on the front of a rear driver would be better most of the time but not on the back, particularly with a powerful rear driver.

They are Nankang AR1's, probably not as good as the gun Hankooks but much cheaper. Got two through though the local Tyrepower and two from Sleeka Spares in Adelaide. Not sure about tyre pressures, I'll probably start at 25psi cold.

Nice, looks like a lot of rubber there - will be interesting to see how they go.

One thing re-GPS I found is the position in the car of the aerial and the frequency. I just installed a 10mhz GPS (so detects 10 times per second) with my Motec dash and it is extremely accurate and close to my wheel speed sensor. It was picking up 19 satellites at Winton. I placed it right at the front & center of the windscreen inside the car on a small piece of thin sheet steel. Motec recommend you mount it center of the roof (on top) away from metal pillars & edges, cage etc which can deflect the signals. Also to mount it on a metal sheet so signals don't come from underneath (as they will be reflected signals). I imagine this would be the same for any GPS sensor like phone or other.

• 1 month later...

Well getting close now, with about 4 weeks to go, went up to Morgan Park today and heat cycled new set of Hankook Z214's and bed in a new set of front brake pads,

Hopefully only bleed brakes, spanner check, oil change and a polish and should be good to go.

Good seeing 260DET up there this morning and having a chat.

Yes, gave the Nankangs their first run at Morgan Park but the skippys wanted to join in the fun so that slowed things down a bit. First impression was, they are interesting. Around the sharper corners the fronts squealed when push so a bit more throttle got the back out a bit and it felt quite good. I don't usually drive like that and am not anticipating hanging the back out around Bathurst's fast corners but you never know.

David's got the Golden Arrow well under control and he looks hungry so who is going to step up for the challenge against the Defending Champion?