Automotive Panel Craft Introduction

This post has been pre cleared by Admin

Just a short intro, we're starting to make panels for the 240z with the view to 260s and 280s

We have been making custom panels for a range of Datsun over the years and now extending our range to include 240z. We are now looking forward to hearing from you guys for suggestion on any sheet metal that may be required for your cars. All our panels are handcrafted not stamped, so it allows us the flexibility  to shape and re create panels to look just like factory and fit right the first time , making you resto easier. We hope to be able to share a little metal shaping with you all along the way.

This is our new Lower Rear Quarter Panel for the 240z.

IMG_3239_zpsjfvrws7v.png

IMG_3210_zpsu0gs6yi4.jpg

Like us on Facebook to see more products! -  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Automotive-Panel-Craft/271953309572501

eBay Store - http://stores.ebay.com.au/automotivepanelcraft/

• Administrators

Thanks for posting and the donation also! As mentioned in our initial correspondance I think there is a gap in the market for

Roof Turrets

Rear Valance Sections / Beaver Panels

2+2 door skins, sills, dog leg sections etc..

260z floor pans (different pressing to 240z)

Seat Mounts might be another popular option for those with rusted floors

Fuel filler 1/4 panel area (these rust out where the fuel filler neck is) which extends around the area.

Of course having local options for

Rocker Panels

Door skins

Lower fender sections

Rear slam panels

etc..

Would be helpful but duplicating what already exists through the likes of rare spares.

• Administrators

Does anyone know if that 240z rear lower quarter panel would suit a 260z 2 seater? or is it different somehow?  ???

Same Same.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

would i be correct to say that all the panels on an early 260 is interchangeable with the 240's?

There is a thread here somewhere showing differences in doors, I believe early 260z doors may be similar to 240z style ones in terms of latch mechanism but I think the internal shell structure 'looks' different and therefore depending on your restoration aim might not be suitable?

Also the rear hatch is a bit different in that 240z's had 1 single gas strut but 260z's moved to twin struts. Not sure if there was other differences in the hinge mechanism? But 260z's also had heated rear screens where as AU delivered 240z's were sans-heated rear screens (sadly).

The front panels are basically the same, except for the indicator cut out (that was a 260z thing).

Thanks Gav. Do you know if the door skins are the same even though the internal structure is different ?

I think I'll need a new drivers door skin and would help to know my options.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Lower radiator supports.

I know it is not a panel but it is hard to find a Z without issues on the radiator supports.

Available in the UK.

http://datsun240z.co.uk/parts.php

Pretty expensive though, but given how much work is involved I'm not surprised.

Also Nato on here was looking at making some of these a while back but he's busy and I'm not sure if he will make any yet?

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,11926.msg167473.html#msg167473

Might be good if someone can step in and start producing this stuff *hint hint* ;-).

• Administrators

You don't pay VAT on items purchased, then shipped out of the UK ;)

Ahhh but you do pay GST...when it arrives here.. If you under-insure it you risk loosing out if something goes wrong with shipping. I saw a NOS radiator support on Yahoo! Auctions a while back. I should have bought it and imported it. It was only around $500-$600 AU.

• Administrators

Here's a link to a short video of our 510 Rear Quarter Panel in the making.

Nice work

Agreed, making up a quarter panel take a lot of skill. Just fabricating the lower half of a rear hatch is hard enough :).

I spoke to Wayne the other night and he was going to explore how difficult making roof turrets would be.

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hi Wayne,

New beaver panels would be a good addition.

Z432rearpanel1.jpg

But quite tricky to make as 1 piece I'd imagine...

Refer to rear slam panel repair thread.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,16148.msg170933/topicseen.html