zzzzed Posted December 13, 2013 Posted December 13, 2013 Some might say I am mad. But I can't help but save this old girl. This one will be a dedicated track car so will not see the public road. Some may know I have all ready sold the rb20det out of my 240z so the 240z will be going back to L series after the 2+2 is ready to receive its power plant. But in the mean time I will still be racing the 240z with an rb25det fitted. I will also be swapping the willwoods over to the 2+2 as well as the LSD So this means ill have a concors 260z 2 seater, a l28 with triples in the 240z And a nut bag 2+2 with an rb25. The bus has lots of rust to keep me busy for a wile. I will cut the worst of it out before it goes on the rotisserie It will be getting a full detailed under carrage which means striping off all the body deadened I will be building a full roll cage extending through to the front strut towers I have been tossing up between a few colors. Satin black with gloss black flares. Sting red from the Vz commodore with black bonnet and flares. White with black flares, bonnet The original green with black flares and bonnet. (I have never seen this combination ) Leave as is and go patina look. I have plenty of time to think about it and I am sure I will change my mind many times. Any way here are some pics. I like this picture Crunchy bits Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted December 13, 2013 Administrators Posted December 13, 2013 Look what I've done to you. Miss out on the 240z and now you buy a 2+2. I understand though I want to save then all. Not just Zeds but Classic Japanese cars. Sometimes I wish I was Jay Leno. . Quote
zzzzed Posted December 13, 2013 Author Posted December 13, 2013 I think it is a disease. I have an acre of land so plenty of room to start an orphanage . Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted December 13, 2013 Administrators Posted December 13, 2013 Mate I really like that green I've seen a 2 seater with flares and that colour looks ducks nuts. I like the patina idea also. Rb25 should be fun. Nice wheels also. They come with the car? I saw a mint 2+2 in that hue many years ago. Looked fantastic. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 13, 2013 Author Posted December 13, 2013 The wheels are off my 260z 2 seater. I was leaning towards white but when I saw this green in the afternoon sun it changed my mind. Quote
Brabham Posted December 14, 2013 Posted December 14, 2013 Hey Mick, any reason why you would not leave the RB25 in the 240Z and race that, you could always restore this one to original . Only reasons I say that are it would be easier, and the 2+2 would be at least 100KG heavier than the 240, that is a lot of extra weight on the track. I do love the Hayashi's though! Quote
zzzzed Posted December 14, 2013 Author Posted December 14, 2013 The main reason is that the 240z is worth more than the 2+2. And I don't want to crash it and break it. The 240z is not engineared with an RB engine and I don't think I could be bothered going through the hassle. It is not easy here in SA. I also think the 240 would be a little more cool with a l28 with triples There is to much missing on the 2+2 to bother doing a original restoration. There is more wait to be striped out of a 2+2. I don't think it would be as light as a 240z though. However they would still be lighter than a skyline or silvia and they don't suffer from weight issues on the track. Plus I will have around 350rwhp so I don't think weight will be much of an issue. I have herd that the 2+2 actually handles better that a 2 seater any way. Quote
C.A.R. Posted December 14, 2013 Posted December 14, 2013 They to, BUT a 2+2 doesn't turn into corners as nicely. Having tracked both chassis, that's what I noticed the most (dynamically). Quote
zzzzed Posted December 14, 2013 Author Posted December 14, 2013 Fair enough. But at the end of the day. I am just out there to have fun I am not rich enough to be competitive so I will be racing against my own clock. Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted December 14, 2013 Moderators Posted December 14, 2013 Club racing is not worth worrying about that much weight... you have a great plan in place to run the +2 and have fun. When i track my thing, I'm worried about damaging anything on it! Can't wait to see it done. Quote
Moderators PB260Z Posted December 14, 2013 Moderators Posted December 14, 2013 Fair enough. But at the end of the day. I am just out there to have fun I am not rich enough to be competitive so I will be racing against my own clock. Quote
Fairlady Z Posted December 14, 2013 Posted December 14, 2013 Awesome Mick. Colour combo: 1. Original green with black flares etc. 2. Patina 3 jap cop car look for a good laugh. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 14, 2013 Author Posted December 14, 2013 I think I going in to competition with you. John, To see how many zeds I can bring back to life at once. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 16, 2013 Author Posted December 16, 2013 I have decided I am going to go the patina look which means I will get this thing on the track much sooner. I am going to push real hard to try have it ready for mt alma early next year. So I will be leaving the paint as is. Adding some battle stickers, fixing the rust and then hiting it with darting clear to hold it all together. So the rb25 will be dropped right in as soon as I can get it home. The 240z might have to take a vacation for a while as I need to get some things together to convert it back to an L series. I have a picture in my head on what it's going to look like I think it will be nasty. Mick Quote
Moderators Zedman240® Posted December 16, 2013 Moderators Posted December 16, 2013 Has to be low, wide and loud!! Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted December 16, 2013 Administrators Posted December 16, 2013 I have a picture in my head on what it's going to look like I think it will be nasty. Good, I am looking forward to it. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 20, 2013 Author Posted December 20, 2013 Apart from the crazy body kit, I like this. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 23, 2013 Author Posted December 23, 2013 It's starting to come together. Started on the rust. It gets easier every time. I am not going to be able to have it rest for the track as soon as I would like as I still have to work out some other issues. So the rb25 will end up in the 240z for at least one more race season. The 260z will still be rat racer for a while untill I have more important Things sorted out. Cosmetics will be last on the list. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 24, 2013 Author Posted December 24, 2013 I could not be bothers waiting for a slam panel to come through the post so I made one up. With a bit of time I could get it perfect but it's a rat racer and would rather spend time on more important areas. All welded in The slam panel was one of the worst I have seen on a zed. Just fixing this has made this shell a whole lot better. Quote
zzzzed Posted December 26, 2013 Author Posted December 26, 2013 I am thinking that 10" rims are warranted to justify needing flares on a 2+2 Check the photos of 9.5 " rota's on the back of my 2+2 I think with a gentle massage of the arches they will work with no flares. And this is with the car empty and sitting with 4x4 stance. Once it is lower the tips of the wheels will pull in and I think theyight just fit. This one is with a "9 rota. Quote
Scoota G Posted December 26, 2013 Posted December 26, 2013 I like it Mick. This car is the same color as my 2+2 was . . . . and you are making me think so stop it! Quote
zzzzed Posted December 26, 2013 Author Posted December 26, 2013 Nah scoot. Let your imagination run free. Quote
zzzzed Posted January 2, 2014 Author Posted January 2, 2014 More photos. The 25 is in next will be wiring Note the r33 skyline brake booster Stole these off the 240z. I have a set of r33 Callipers for the 240. Looking ruff Quote
zzzzed Posted January 26, 2014 Author Posted January 26, 2014 Well I sold my vz crewman and got enough to pick up this tow package. I think the ute may need helper springs though. I will more than likely upgrade to a td5 discovery in the future. The trailer is a beaver tail with nice long ramps for low cars. I got it brand new for a food price. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.