Jap Style Fender Mirror - Correct placement

acf321

Might seem a but unnecessary, but does anybody have a pattern / measurement for the correct factory location of the factory JDM fender mirrors? Need to be sure before I get the drill out  :-\

Cheers

Adam

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

OK so epic thread dig i know, but i installed my mirrors using the above diagram and it looks wrong compared to everyone else's mirrors.

They look forward and inboard what does everyone think?

IMG_0056-1.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

I recently fitted my fender mirrors using the diagram above. Looks fine to me, they actually stay inside the outer line of the car which is probably good in terms of safety, doesn't affect vision at all. You don't even notice that they are in slightly different positions. 

Vision is how shall I say.... Interesting! They look awesome though

Yeah see those are way more outboard than mine and and also probably about 2" further back.

Ah well i think im getting used to where mine are and other's look weird now lol.

• 2 weeks later...

So people know who are putting fender mirrors on their car with the diagram aboveIT IS WRONG. After looking at tons of pictures of j-spec zeds none of them have them mounted where the diagram says. And mine just doesnt look right. Just want to let other people know so they dont make the same mistake and save being as pissed off as i am that i drilled holes in my front guards in the wrong spots.

They are mounted back further and more outboard.

I have the original guards that came on my early 70 240. On both guards they have had plates brazed underneath to block off what I assume are mounting holes in the approximate location of the JDM mirror placements. I read somewhere that early cars were delivered from Japan with these mirrors but they had to be removed to comply with Aus regulations, if this is the case then my guards should be a good source for original mirror locations.

If anyone is interested then I will measure them and take photos tomorrow?

David

Yes there are LHD and RHD ones and the one on this site is a RHD one. LHD dimensions are just the reverse of the RHD ones.

Check out the Office  Tomitaku car. If there is going to be a car that is correct it will be this one.

If you look at the pictures the mirrors are much further outboard, basically next to the fold on the pannel. They are also further back about 3" is my guess. If you look at a side on shot of a genuine car they are back behind the leading edge of teh tyre.

Does anyone have a car with factory delivered fender mirrors that can measure this for us, or still has the fender mirror mounting plat mounted under the front of the guard. Any '69 or '70 model will probably still have these.

Yes please that would be great if you could.

Main things to know are:

• Distance to the front of the guard
  • Distance from the engine bay side of the guard

These would be best measured to the centre of the large hole (middle one) on the mounting plate.

• 1 month later...