280Zx Fuel Tank Into 73 240Z

JDM-TOY

Hey Chaps 

Happy cruzing long weekend

Just doing some digging and discussing with a few people in the Zd world and we cam across the question would the 280zx fuel tank bolt up to a 73 240Z. 

Now you may ask why and the short answer is L28 injected conversion in the 73 and we were discussing fuel pumps and the 280zx fuel pump in located in the tank. So would be less hassle to rather putting in a surge tank and so on. 

Looking forward to the feedback and past experiences 

Cheers,

Youhan 

• Administrators

280Z (not ZX) tanks are sort after in the US for fuel injection conversions. But the 280z has a different tyre well to a earlier car so might make it difficult to fit a tank designed for a more accommodative spare wheel area.

• Moderators

Hi

FWIW series 1 280ZX runs an external fuel pump.

Pretty easy to fab up a bracket and fit the pump and pressure reg under the back of an S30, well it was on my '77 bus.

You will need a fuel line adaptor as (from memory) the pump is 3/8 and the tank is 1/4, or is 1/2 & 3/8.

I would also recomend fitting a small fuel filter in the line before the pump. I had crap in the tank that caused a few issues.

Attached is a dodgy photo of the bracke bin place.

If you wanted to come for a drive to Hornsby more than happy to show and tell.

Cheers

PB

post-102365-0-58473300-1506755922_thumb.jpeg

• 8 months later...

Anyone want to chime in with some advice before I try to mount the larger fuel tank in?  (Yes I will seal the large hole in the top, previous owner cut open to put baffles but had sealed it with a cork gasket, metal plate, screws and flexible fuel resistant silastic).  Tank itself is slightly longer, slightly deeper and has an additional vent pipe.

From the looks of it, should be ok.  May be a little close with the exhaust, I will know more when I loosely mount it in.  

Using longer straps and planning on using a 2 into 1 connector to combine the 2 vent pipes into the original that goes to the fuel filler.

Any suggestions on what tank it is from, originally I thought a 260z but I now feel it may be from a 280zx??

Cheers

IMG_6773.JPG

Edited by Roady

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this one.  Firstly I never mentioned I was doing this as my 240z tank was only 40L... I think many are but all the sites I see mention it's a 60L tank (but mine definately was not).  

The installation itself would be difficult to use an original fuel vent hose, because of the additional fuel vent coming from this tank.

There is limited room, and to cut the original vent tube squeeze in the additional brass section with T piece etc was going to prove tricky.  The only thing missing from the photos is an additional 90 degree brass elbow which connects the tubing back into the car to the fuel filler.  I also angled the vent tubing in the photo below slightly downwards (not the way it is in the second photo), to line everything up correctly as the vent hose from the car comes through a metal "tube" so it is already angled as it comes through to the fuel tank area...  hope that makes sense.

So so far it all seems to fit and mount correctly, I might need to play around with the position a little to get it just right.  The only thing that seems to have been just a little off was the short strap on the left hand side.  Larger tank = larger straps, but the one of the left was almost a little too long and the original strap wouldn't reach. I've used a thicker piece of rubber insulation (between the tank and the metal strap to correct this).

Let me know if I've missed something out or questions if I can answer I will.

IMG_6832.JPG

IMG_6833.JPG

The main issue/reason I had to modify the vent hose was that my original tank only had one vent... all the photos I have seen of the original 240z tanks had two vents...  generally 1 being at the top right (rear) and the other being middle on the far left of the tank.  Thus the system was always meant to have two.. not sure why mine did not.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions on this - whether other peoples 240z fuel tanks have one or 2 vents and what size they are??

Lurch - does yours have an evaporation canister that the system all plumbs to or straight to the rubber fuel filler hose?

Edited by Roady