what would i get for my 240z?

mossy

I haven't placed this in the FS section as I'm not 100% sure I'll sell this and I don't really know a price.

I'm looking at selling my early 240z build 288, the car has been stripped, shell beadblasted, sanded then etch primed, I started some rust repairs but still quite a bit to be done. The floors are rails have been replaced and one rocker panel was started, also have some repair panels to go with it, left rocker panel, hatch slam panel, has had a hit before front right.

Doesn't have all the parts as some stuff was sold such as the v8 and trans and wheels (no l24 either), and some bits were just rooted so i chucked them.

Has a very nice uncracked dash, wiring loom, struts, control arms, seat frames, taillights, console, h/lights etc, new alfa motorsports f/glass guards

Here is the build thread on when I was working on it and no there are no watanbes, fender mirrors or flares ;)

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,2124.msg31517.html#msg31517

Basically wanted to get an idea on what i might get for it

thanks

post-192-144023639289_thumb.jpg

post-192-144023639296_thumb.jpg

post-192-144023639302_thumb.jpg

post-192-144023639313_thumb.jpg

"IF" I had a spare $5000 to spare right now, I would make an offer.

Once again do the sums.

Panels and other trim items you mentioned sold separately would rake in at least $2500

Then you have the "2" seater shell that could easily play host to a 2+2 unrestorable doner for the rest, has to be worth at least another $2500.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks John, I was thinking at least 5k myself but I'd like a little bit more if i do sell, just trying to get a gauge on price because if I'm dreaming on that I'll just keep it and maybe try to sell in a few years time when they hopefully jump up in price a bit.

I think what I posted is at the low end, but Id love to hear other peoples thoughts.

To be Honest I think these cars are totally under valued no matter what state they are in, if the interest is there as far as returning them to their full potential then its a sellers market.

I was telling a member here on the forum a week ago when we were discusing these cars that 10 years from now I doubt you will be able to buy one in restorable condition for under $20,000 and I'm happy to revisit this post 10 years from now and either gloat or eat humble pie.

In 94 I sold my 1968 S Type jag in NO rust condition for $6000, I regularly speak to the now owner who has it stored away, he was offered 20G, not dollars but pounds sterling last year by a Jag collector in the UK !

Hi John & Mark

I have been speaking to Nat about values, and he made a very good point that I thought i'd share. If you look at classic Euro cars, say Porsche and Jag specifically, both these marques have well and truly peaked (in this market), if you consider say a 2.7 Carrera, or E-type convertible. Both these cars have hit their peaks, and in many instances the values are actually (or have already) declined. As Nat points out (and he should know as a judge for the NSW Ferrari Club amongst other roles in the classic car industry) that the early Japanese sports cars (ex say the 2000GT and Honda S600's and the like) will follow, albeit maybe not to the extent of the ultra ultra rare 2000Gt.

Look at the demand and supply. Every time I log on here I see some other punter wanting a 240Z or 260 2 seater, and then he buys it and straps a turbo to it and sticks on a set of 20" zepters, momo intertior and matt black paint. Not to generalise, but every time an early car is heavily modified and parts lost, that car that was a rare and original example is essentially gone. Keep that up for a few years and then all the original cars will be gone. What happens then when Japanese investors, and US want anther one. We need to pay more, ie supply vs demand.

Anyway, a long winded answer I know, but the answer must be that well cared for largely original cars will continue to escalate, especially from their relatively current modest base. I see guys trying to sell 240Z's for very big money and I wish them well. For if one or more sell for those big sums, then that becomes market value, and so too our lovingly cared for cars escalate to those levels. Whist this has not yet occurred, it will in my opinion. Japanese cars must bridge the gap to their earlier Euro counterparts.

So Mossy ... don't just 'give' that shell away mate, its a super rare early bird and is worth good money to he who wants a great and very desirable car.

Cheers

Adam

Wow, I knew prices were higher in Oz for cars and parts, but that collection in the pictures would bring no more than about $800 around hear, as a collective sell. Sold separately, would bring in a bit more, though the shell itself might be a hard sell, due to the exterior damage/started, but unfinished repair work.

:o

acf321:

Would the value still be there, without the numbers matching engine? I know when I bought my car, I forgot to check the engine number and compare it to the tag on the strut tower, and thought about this after I got back home, and had to wait for the car to arrive (a month later). This was what was going to make my decision on whether to restore it to original, or modify it heavily. Turns out the L24 had been swapped with an L28, so it was game on to modify. At least around here without the numbers matching engine, even if the rest of the car is restored to near perfect concourse state, without the numbers matching engine, it's worth about the same as mildly modified S30, I.E. less than an all original (numbers matching) restoration.

• Administrators

Agree with Adam if you don't have to sell right now don't. I bought a very restorable 240z 10 years ago for $3,500 - I still kick myself for selling restored it's easily worth $22k - $25k in today's market for the right buyer.

Adam, the z will never reach the status of other collectables because the front end stock looks terrible. An air dam is needed to make it look good. It has no chance of being collectable in its stock state, and most people only want them to aesthetically alter them. The more people that do these improvements well, the more iconic this car will become.

That's my opinion.

• Moderators

Problems with selling projects is most buyers want a "drive way no more to pay" thing; ie pay $5000 and send in the paperwork to register and go driving for the weekend. Very few people can put a zed back together so most will have to pay someone else to do it. I'd hold off from selling now and try to finish.

Terrible Saxon?? Surely that's a bit of an overstatement!!

Best thing about a front air dam is that it is an easily removable mod... so shouldn't affect the value of a good car one way or another.

Having had a few other classics over the years, the market will always fall into the Concours cars, which need to be totally original (matching #s etc) - and bring BIG $$$ -  and the modified cars (to varying degrees). Modded cars are always to the owner's own taste, so of course they are worth less than a concours car, and often modded cars that have had big $$ spent on them sell for less than you expect - because most people want to build one to their own taste.

A genuinely original low k's Z is going to appreciate pretty well I think, but I suspect restored and modded cars are never going to reach the heights of European cars ... especially right now, when the bottom seems to be falling out of the classic car market.

All of this, of course, in my ever so humble opinion.

R.

• Administrators

Adam, the z will never reach the status of other collectables because the front end stock looks terrible. An air dam is needed to make it look good. It has no chance of being collectable in its stock state, and most people only want them to aesthetically alter them. The more people that do these improvements well, the more iconic this car will become.

That's my opinion.

That's my opinion.

Sorry mate, but I disagree with this statement totally. The front end of a Z looks better without a front air-damn in my opinion. My Z doesn't have it and I think it looks better than some of the ugly front ends I've seen over the years.

normal_IMG_0859.jpg

normal_IMG_0860.jpg

To each their own but beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess.  The 240z looks very similar at the front to the E-type Jag IMHO and you wouldn't call that ugly would you?

209396d1307112975-pre-internet-jaguar-e-type-14.jpg

e-type_1024.jpg

jaguar_e-type_1969_01_s.jpg

Enzo Ferrari said it was "the most beautiful car ever made!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type

What will hold back the value of Z's and has forever is the negative connotations associated with Japanese cars of the period. Frankly it's absurd but once the market gets over that hurdle and I suspect it won't be long and they discover how much better these cars were in terms of reliability and fun than their Euro / British counterparts values will go up.

Lots of passion here .. .good stuff.

I'm with you Gav, the best looking zed is one nude of aftermarket appendages. Have a look at James Flett's car on my build thread parked on the grass .. thats about the best looking car / stance I've seen.

Should have mentioned last night, the true reason holding back the zeds is supply ... they made 150,000 of the 240's, which if you compare to the euro cars is many many many multiples. Having said that, their early plentiful supply meant; 1) they were too cheap to restore, and 2) they were a cheap car to buy and mod, and race ... both of which meant cars were destroyed. Compare that to porsche ... there is more than 80% of every porsche ever build still in existance. Not sure you could say the same for the 240Z!

Cheers all.

Adam

To throw my two bob's worth in... I agree that the Japanese equipment of the period was not endorsed by "those in the know" motoring editors and the likes of Jeremy Clarkson with pro British sentiments. This attitude will prevail as that generation of motoring enthusiast will carry this burden of sentiment when looking for a "really wicked investment".

Why do I like the Zed - I remember seeing my first one being tortured at a motorkhana in 1970 by a sixty year old something driver. And the lines, more gracefull than an E type.

I was sold, it only took twenty years to get one, another 14 years of storing what I believed was a really good investment in time, pleasure and sure, maybe one day a sale. But for now, keep what you have for tomorrow, I truly regret selling my factory fitted "moon-roof" Datsun P510, since converted to a turbo'ed, exotic dream machine for the current owner. No value to my mind now, but as everyone says "its in the eye of the beholder".

Paulo

There has always been a stigma with Jap crap within the car and bikes made in Japan, There is only a couple of Jap bikes that are worth some money for a 20 year old bike in compassion to as I have a 20 year old Harley, The Harley kept with old technology and keep their price, where the japs had a far better technology and only the Kawsaka jaffa Z900 holds any collectable value.others are worth bugger all for a restored model.

Years ago when I had my 240z running I was in a VL group A that belongs to the son-law, it has the fully worked motor, he was giving it a boot full trying to impress me, I said if you like fast cars I should take you for a spin in the 240Z, The look on his face was shear disgust , to compare mine with his, mine would have pissed all over it.

He kept it and is worth about 90k going by Sharons, I have noticed Australia collectable cars are based on what raced at Bathhurst. He also has a HQ 4 door GTS, going by Sharons worth about 35k.So his choices have worked out well, I have kept my 240z since 1986 and it would only be worth what it was for sale then.

As for this car the way the market is at the moment I don"t think it would be worth any more than 3k tops. It is a buyers market now and good bargains are coming up.

I certainly have opened a can of worms here, but it does make for good reading ;D

Problems with selling projects is most buyers want a "drive way no more to pay" thing; ie pay $5000 and send in the paperwork to register and go driving for the weekend. Very few people can put a zed back together so most will have to pay someone else to do it. I'd hold off from selling now and try to finish.

I think the other thing too Dimitri is a lot of people want a zed on a budget, unfortunately budget and a 40 year old car don't go together too well, either does the term rust free, as unless you do what V8datto has done to his 240z, ie strip and dismantle every panel off it and treat it there will always be rust somewhere.

As for the price for mine, if I could get around 6k I may sell it but any less its not worth getting rid of as I don't need the cash I just won't have the time to restore it or even turn it into a track car with the time i want to spend with my son and the time I've still got to spend finishing the resto on my other 240z, I just want to get my current resto done and be out there enjoying it. I may bolt the suspension and steering together so its a rolling shell and advertise in a few places to see what bites I get if not I'll store it away for a few more years.

I didnt read the whole thread but to give you an idea.

I paid 5k for my shell which was basically rust free but filled with a lot of fiberglass.

We got a cross-member, stock struts, 280-zx master cylinder and new brake lines, fuel tank, dash, steering assembly & front and rear strut braces.

Car was far from straight and I probably put 60hrs into getting it "track straight" and painted.

Mate of ours paid 4k for a dipped full of holes bare shell with at my guess 2-3 in metal work/repair panels and 5k+ for pre/paint.

In the end mate I would of made a 4-5k offer based on photos if you were serious about selling and I didnt have a Z32 needing some love.

James

Sorry if I've taken the thread off topic, but for various reasons, I think the Z in original form will never reach a certain status, cause it looks gay as aids in it's un-modified form and by the amount of Z enthusiasts that cover the front ends nakedness, I think most people would agree. Tastefully and even untastefully changing a Z can take it from a boring poncy looking car to a gorgeous and tough monster of a car that no other car under 100k can touch in terms of bad ass looks. But that's my opinion.

And I don't like being judged by classic Z guys who think I shouldn't be chopping up a classic car.

If you do believe that people are chopping up this classic car and it should be kept stock, then you shouldn't care because you should already have a stock Z and if that's what people actually want, then when cars get chopped up and changed, your car should go up in value as there'll be less stock Zs around. So there is nothing to complain about.

/rantrantrant

the z will never reach the status of other collectables because the front end stock looks terrible. An air dam is needed to make it look good. It has no chance of being collectable in its stock state, and most people only want them to aesthetically alter them

I don't think anyone here is really counting a front air dam as a mod, yet alone chopping up a classic...

Flares on the other hand are nearly getting overdone now, as i'm liking the simple non-flared lines of the zed more and more, although i think it might just be a case of wanting what you don't have. Flares are also a reversable mod, but if would require a fair bit of money to be spent to return to stock (more than what putting flares on costs), hence why a stock one could/would be worth more. Same with spending money on performance mods, most buyers, yourself included, couldn't care less as long as it moves...so a stock car is the best to have if you care about resale value.

The status of the car as a classic on the other hand is something completely different, and you still wanted one having never been interested in other cars (regardless of how ugly the front end is stock), so i dont really know your point there

Being an early VIN is leaning toward less relevant as a 'point of sale' if some of those original parts, and specifically the L24, is gone. I would still pay well if I could, but I just think it's very unfortunate to have been parted from it.

It has no chance of being collectable in its stock state, and most people only want them to aesthetically alter them. The more people that do these improvements well, the more iconic this car will become.

Not sure what you mean as an original Z is already collectible, and more so for being unmolested. Cars don't become iconic from their 'improvements'. If you do a major alteration like dropping an LS1 into a Z then it's just an iconic car with an iconic engine. It hasn't made the car iconic, probably more truthfully just become a molested set of wheels transporting around a foreign engine. The Z is iconic for truly being what defined 'Race on Sunday - Sell on Monday', not to forget also the styling, affordability, rally wins, etc. Not many alterations to a Z could add to what makes it iconic, but what some do to them certainly take something away.

i agree that airdams, and even chopping the guards and putting flares in is reversable.

I also agree that buying a z at almost any price is fantastic value as it is very underappreciated and undervalued.

But I do think a car can become iconic for the mods in this case, the Z on my repair manual has a duck tail spoiler. Most Z toy cars have an airdam. Explain that.

And I find it ridiculous that some people think these mods are molesting a classic and destroying the stock cars that they think everyone wants. My mechanic (not naming names) was very aggressive and even threatening in trying to get me to restore my car to bone stock instead of doing what I want. Even though he himself did those same mods.

Sorry if I've taken the thread off topic, but for various reasons, I think the Z in original form will never reach a certain status, cause it looks gay as aids in it's un-modified form and by the amount of Z enthusiasts that cover the front ends nakedness, I think most people would agree. Tastefully and even untastefully changing a Z can take it from a boring poncy looking car to a gorgeous and tough monster of a car that no other car under 100k can touch in terms of bad ass looks. But that's my opinion.

And I don't like being judged by classic Z guys who think I shouldn't be chopping up a classic car.

I didn't see this post before. You said some pretty ignorant things here that I actually don't believe many would agree with...

I don't think its about chopping up a car regardless if its reversible or not. I think, since last time I read this forum you were not here, that if you are new to Z's, then maybe you should just enjoy it and understand the car before making alterations. I owned my daily for 8 or so years before I decided on buying an air dam, and I needed to buy another Z for that air dam as I didn't want to go through with it. I just enjoy my daily for what it is, and noone has ever told me it's boring or poncy? I guess I'm a little too grown up and broke to be spending up unnecessarily for the purpose of impressing strangers.

Most Z toy cars have an airdam. Explain that.

Pretty easily explained, as they have a functioning purpose.

And I find it ridiculous that some people think these mods are molesting a classic and destroying the stock cars that they think everyone wants. My mechanic (not naming names) was very aggressive and even threatening in trying to get me to restore my car to bone stock instead of doing what I want. Even though he himself did those same mods.

I'm yet to find someone here who actually thinks that installing 'bolt ons' is molesting and destroying a classic car.. If they do, then they're kidding themselves.. You simply unbolt and bam, you have a stock car again  :o lol.

If I had a mechanic and he was agressive and threatening, I'd be telling him to jam it up his a$$ and taking my car to someone else.

I started off not really liking the standard front on a Z, but now I actually like it.