Adjustable rear control arm

zcar63

Hi Guys

i have all the parts ordered for a couple of sets,should be arriving soon.I have been reading a thread on rear swaybar location, do the different mounting positions of the swary bars, ie 240z, 260z, 260 z 2+2 models still line up with the lower arm  drop link locating holes.? I would hate to make the mounting holes the same as my 240z only to find they don't line up for other models.  If anyone can let me have a gander at other cars  on Brissy north side to confirm.

Cheers David

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Lampy

4130 tube doesn't have to be stress relieved if tube is no more than 0.120 thou wall ,using er70-s2 rods.I'm not getting much time to work on them latley with a bung knee :'(.Trying my hardest to get some done.

Cheers David

Hi Guys

i have a set of lower arms ready,here is some more info on the construction.All tube is 4130 chromoly,WELD IN INSERTS ARE 4130 chromoly, gussets are 4130 chromoly, the flange that the bushes thrust against are mild steel(5mm) the bracket for the adjustment arm is mild steel , the 16mm bolt is high tensile steel which i have drilled a through hole 9mm and cut to length and threaded m16 x 1.5 with a nyloc nut , or you can use your bolt of choice .The spindle pin is 4140 chromoly and approx 40mm shorter than standard,i will purchase bolts for this purpose in the future. The control arm has two (RH) rod ends and one (LH) rod end.The adjusting arms has one (RH) and one (LH) rod end,the left hand weld- in insert has two small notches cut in the edge to identify it,the (LH) nut has a notch around the edge as well .I have chased rod end suppliers all around the world a couple referred me to the local distributors who's quotes sometimes were interesting IE:26 x rod ends from local $98.23= $2554.24 plus freight :o and another was $55.00 each x 26= $1430 plus freight .The ones i am using came direct from overseas, they are dearer than one other supplier i was hoping to use, but he doesn't make 16mm fine thread at the moment. I will take them to work next week and get an accurate weight . Any questions ,don't hesitate to ask.Just a note,i am using chromoly weld in inserts as i don't see  much point welding in mild steel inserts into the tube for them to become a possible weak point.

Cheers David

post-2481-144023742432_thumb.jpg

post-2481-144023742437_thumb.jpg

post-2481-14402374244_thumb.jpg

post-2481-144023742443_thumb.jpg

Hi Guys/Gals

I weighed the arms old and new last night at work.The stock arm i weighed was 4.7kg each , and the Weight Watchers brand with extra fibre :D comes in at  3.64kg each = 7.28kg for the pair with rose joints

Cheers David

Hi guys/gals

i have a question for those better informed than me.I weighed one of my OEM  rear lower control arms on certified scales at work,it came in at 4.74kg each .I then weighed another arm from a spare pair of arms i have under the bench and got 4.64kg .Another member here has one which is 3.6 kg, does this come from a specific model?or year of manufacture?

Cheers David

David

Here are a couple of snaps of the arm I weighed. One of the arm itself,  just to ensure we are weighing the same item/components, and one of it sitting on the scales at 3.7kg. I calibrated (for want of a better word) the scales with some groceries and they seemed close enough.

The arms appear to be pressed from 2mm sheet and the large support brace and roll bar location point appears to be pressed from 1.5mm sheet.

I can't say for sure it is off my 3/72, 240Z as I've mixed and matched them over a period of time.

post-684-1440237433_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023743308_thumb.jpg

Hi Peter/scoota

My z is a 71 model the arms on mine might be off a later model then.The NEW ones i have are as light as yours Peter,but i now have adjustment and saved 2.2kg in weight over my old arms.That means 2.2kg less dieting i have to do,pass me another beer will you!!! ;D

Sound good for the welding rod. I hear quite a lot people welding with 4130 rods and not stress relieving/normalizing. ER70 s2 or erw80 s2 are the rod of choice without heat treatment. On a side note i hope your not using 4.6 grade bolts anywhere. 4.6 grade are garden grade bolts.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have mine and they look pretty awesome! Big thanks to David for his top efforts and excellent service. Everyone who wants them should definitely get in while they're hot!

1975096_662277753833859_995012200_n.jpg