Jump to content

bluerat

Members
  • Posts

    540
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by bluerat

  1. I've just done mine with a roller and it worked very well, It did buckle the guards right above the middle of each arch, which would be a real pain if it wasn't being resprayed. I moved mine about 15-20mm.
  2. Gee's NZ'er what do you think of HS30-00030 being a gravel rally car??
  3. That would explain it!
  4. Please excuse my ignorance, but are there two different track layouts at Sandown?? I thought I would drag out a few old yearbooks and compare Sinisha's Zed's time to old touring cars times etc but found wildly different times for different years/classes. I was a huge fan of the old Silverstone S575's and ran several sets on my 1600 over the years, Its good to here some feed back on the new models. When I changed to the Bridgestone re55s the car was around 1 to 1.5 sec's a Km quicker than the Silverstones and nearly half a second quicker to most first splits at hillclimbs (mostly around 30m from the start).
  5. Howdy Adam, I'm Popping over to Melbourne and picking up my new front valance from Alpha fibreglass next week, I'll let you know how it looks when I get it. Hodgo.
  6. I think they mean times around a race track not the local supermarket car park....also theres a Lambo down here that would well and truely beat you around the carpark!! LOL
  7. Nah, was never a fan of the white!! although it always stood out....
  8. Heres some action shots from 97,98 and 1999....
  9. I like the rat zed look Lurch, might keep it that way, It just needs some faded sign writing now!! It's had a few coats of jam over the years, plus plenty of repairs. we've dug out a fair bit of bog and used the dent puller to remove most of the dents. Put the first layer of bog back in yesterday, mind you it's a lot thinner than what came out. Looking foward to it being all one colour again, but thats still a little way off.
  10. Heres some photo's from a few weekends ago, when it was dry!!. we had to push the car up to the house to use the dent puller, as the electrickery in the shed didn't have enough grunt!! that's Zack giving it the big heave ho. I'm loving the big superlites!!
  11. Heres a quick update, we've put in a couple of Sundays since the last post, with things moving along nicely. As you can proberly guess we have found a few dents along the way, but so far no rust in the body, only a little in the pass side floor. Those guard rollers are a magic thing, I've lightly stretched the front guards over the 225's at the front, with only 2 degrees camber on board and the front arms back in the factory crossmember holes. At this stage the rose jointed arms are going, due to not a lot of thread left in the arms and I'm fitting some other modified arms (spares) I have in stock from the 1600, gotta love Datsun interchangability!! Next job is weld up a few small cracks in the guard lip's, give the rears guards a quick roll, sand, sand and sand some more!! I found another couple of people with action photo's of the old girl, so I'm looking foward to spying those. Quick question, do the early 240z's have a different badge on the hatch to the later 240's? photo's would be great! Catch ya,
  12. I've got the same problem Kalium, It's a Huge hole to fill, I was going to get one whipped up on the lathe and put a button for the horn on the dash??
  13. That is a ripper Pauly!!!
  14. Crikey six sixty, thats one hell of a bite!!! You better watch the episode...LOL. Anyway, I like the new Zed and as for Aussie Top Gear, the little fella with the scruffy beard should relax a bit....and talking about telly I'm watching Spicks and Specs right now and Myf looks rather special tonight!!!
  15. I love the Pommie one where they got the Zed owners club in!! How many of you have beards!! LOL
  16. Great stuff Dimitri, have you got any more?
  17. Your right there Dimitri, The rears have been done ages ago, and I'm amazed the fronts havn't been. He used to run 205 rally tyres which are huge and 5mm spacers. I better get on to it.
  18. Yeah the strut top are are in ,and cranked right over!! I'll wind out the rose joints next as I haven't touched those yet, and I've got another hole or two in the crossmember to try yet as well. I dont mind a small flair Mick, if needed, just trying to work it all out before we get to carried away with the bodywork.
  19. A couple more in the build photo's, I've spent the week rubbing back th shell, and fixing a few small dents around the doors etc. I also dropped out the front spring to check the wheel clearence, and it looks like a guard roller is needed, but with a couple more degrees of camber we might just get the fronts under?? Has anyone else out there fitted 16 by 8 Superlites and 225 tyres all round?? any problems? Had a bit of luck with parts this week, thanks to Wombat and Tasies 240K Guru, Tom Unreal, I now have a electronic dist. and a set of good front indercators thanks to Weldie. I'm still after a chrome door strip, the one under the window, if anyone has one lying around?? With a bit of luck we should have the major dents pulled next weekend and be started on the smaller ones, again things are moving along nicely....touch wood.
  20. Yeah they are a good thing those new GTR's Cobra. Well, we had a good day on the body work on Sunday, with Zack belting away on the back guard and me rubbing down the fronts. The rear guard dent looked a lot like it was about guide post size...and it was..Rally of Melbourne 1997, last stage, so I've been told. The front guards have the typical rally car dents from rocks flying off the wheels and denting the top underside of the guards, nothing a slight tap and a smeer of bog won't fix. My job now is to rub the rest of the car down with 400 wet and dry, roll the front guards and Zacky will be back in a fortnight to finish the back guard and start on the smaller dents. It's great to be making some progress.
  21. Looks great Shane!! I love the ones of it coming over the hill at Baskerville and the last one taken in the sun set, magic. It didnt take you long to get the Dunlop stickers on it!!
  22. I was going through some photo's I took during Targa Tas this year and thought I might post some up. I didnt get many action shots as I was a bit busy at the time. Most are of the Siddins red 240Z which is a quick thing!! he broke a rim on the second day which put him way down the list, the silver car is Geoff Goodwins '280Z' and I didn't get a photo of the Robin Lowe's silver 240Z which was the other Z car running.
  23. Sorry Shane, but all rallying including Tarmac is Unleaded only, has been for a while, Re Lurch's comment on CAMS knee jerk reactions. They were doing fuel testing everywhere at Targa this year. Hillclimbs are a grey area as you can be on a public road, technically you can only use it on the track. With Targa (not sure about CAMS rallies) you can add octane booster to your 98 if your in classic.
  24. I'm gonna bite my tongue on the above..........
  25. Cool, I was thinking about the red thats on the VZish SS Commodores, my brother is painting his R100 that shade and looks the goods! nice and bright. Mind you a red zed with superlites will be pretty unique, wont it??? This week I've just tinkered about, fixing up and painting the rear tail light surounds and getting the engine bay undercoated ready for paint. My mate just bought a guard roller and we might need it to fit the tyres under, I'll whip the front spring out next week to see how it all fits under the guard?? The new 1600 engine is starting to come along so it's time to start thinking about he Zeds bottom end. We will be keeping it under 3 ltrs to fit in with the local rules, and away from the pesky rotarys. The block is a F54 with a 86mm bore which we will take out to 87mm, this combined with the LD crank, L24 rods and some yet to be worked out pistons, lol, will just put us under the limit, and around 11 to 1 compression is the aim at this stage. The flywheel is off for a little visit to a Jenny Craig lathe and the clutch is a paddle. As you can understand Im not to keen to crack this crank (now theres a good song title!) so a SWR BMW balancer will be fitted. I was told the balancer fitted to the engine is a 240K one not a 280Zx, as in the past the 240K balancer was the hot ticket, Has anybody else tried this? Anyway, I better get back into the shed.......
×
×
  • Create New...