Jump to content

George

Members
  • Posts

    1,981
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    32

Everything posted by George

  1. That was partly behind my question. You see the same mods on a lot of cars. Seems like there's a formula for success that people follow.
  2. The driver was not happy. The garage is well below street level and I had trouble convincing him to winch it up. I had the same problem, but more so, with the driver dropping it off a few months ago. Both guys called their bosses and had a sook but as bosses do they both got told to just get on with it. He was also a bit unsure about the way I had tied the panels but they were secure and they will add more if necessary at the depot. I'm sending the whole parts car across Gav so that'll go when it's ready in a couple of months. I figure Paul will need more than just the roof skin so he can chop away at it as he pleases. Having said that, I'll trust his judgement and we might be able to save both shells although I don't fancy my chances. If the other one can be saved I will be selling it.
  3. Would be great to meet you Vaughn and hopefully check out your car at the same time. Gav, I can't say with all certainty what colour it'll end up but most likely orange (918).
  4. That was #63 Cuong and yes, I'm aware that one was less rusty. I also passed on #86 which was in better condition than both. The price for those cars reflected their condition which was one of the factors I considered at the time. A purchase like this, for me anyway, is more emotional than practical. I'm not looking for value for money, I'm not doing this to flip a product, nor am I doing it to just own a cool car that my friends like and one I can be seen in. I've done all that and I don't mean to sound all high and mighty but I'm after something different. To me this is more about the experience. I want the experience of a large jig saw puzzle slowly coming together in my garage and I very nearly went with a Clubman build which would offer the same but in a much less practical car. I completely agree with everyone that starting with a solid shell, or better yet with a complete running car, is a smarter option. I very nearly did buy an excellent example that needed no work but missed out by a couple of hours. That hurt at the time but as they say, things happen for a reason. I'm certain that if I had bought it it would have left me without the experience I crave for. I'm taking the long view with this project and I know that at the end of it I'll not only end up with a car I'm attached to but with some wisdom to boot.
  5. Yes, he said he'd do it 2 for 1. I get to pick which stage is free. *whistles* It makes sense to get it all done by the same shop and after weighing up my options Paul was, despite the distance between us, the only option. I'm sure I'll be making a trip or two across country so I'd love to meet up with some of you when that happens. First trip will likely be in November as my wife is attending a conference there at the time.
  6. I am actually but I had to pay the guy a danger tax for tetanus shots so it works out the same in the end.
  7. Tonight I'm contemplating sleeping inside my empty car shell as it will be the last time I see it for many months. Tomorrow it will be picked up and delivered to Paul in Adelaide who will restore it to its former glory. No tears will be shed when the car is towed away; maybe tears of joy - I've swept away more rust than any man ought to. Here is the shell as it stands.
  8. #165 just popped up for $13k. It's in Sydney. Rear looks weird. http://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Datsun-240Z-1970/SSE-AD-2795701
  9. Wouldn't want it any other way. If I can't use it I'll pass it on to someone who can. Just hold on to it until the next meet. Cheers.
  10. Gav, I'll take the ash tray thanks.
  11. They all have some rust. If it doesn't have rust someone spent $$ on it. What's your budget? Early or late? Here is one in Sydney for $600. Surprised it's still around to be honest. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seven-hills/wheels-tyres-rims/datson-240z-1971-rolling-shell/1044226178
  12. Received my order today. Really impressed with the quality. A far cry from the aged rubber I removed.
  13. Ooh, I could do with the compressor. Bit too far for pick up though. :-/
  14. http://www.jbtoolsales.com/lisle-36050-valve-keeper-remover-and-installer-kit/#oid=1002_1 See it in action here from around the 8 min mark:
  15. Her (2013) - Without a doubt one of the better written and acted films I've seen in the past year. I went in without knowing anything about it and was glad for it so I won't elaborate other than to say I highly recommended you do the same and just enjoy it. Slow pace so watch when you have a good couple of hours and you want to relax. 10/10
  16. http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/forums.hybridz.org
  17. Excellent. Thanks for the heads up.
  18. Good work Dimitri. :-) I caught the tail end of that segment. Thanks for the YouTube link.
  19. That's a hefty entry fee. Is there a website with more info on this event?
  20. Stripping the 240Z As a boy I took great pleasure in taking things apart and seeing how they work. If they functioned when I put them back together it was a bonus but that was never a measure of success and I never let that get in the way of my fun. To this day I enjoy the process and I’ve learned that taking things apart requires less finesse and is usually a lot easier than putting them back together. The opposite applies to a neglected and severely rusted car. For the past couple of months I have been chipping away at stripping the 240Z. It currently sits in the garage bare of all the bits that make it a functioning marvel. It has been a time consuming process (partly because the car is at my parent’s place) with frustrations along the way but all of it enjoyable. A snapped bolt here and a stubborn clip there, strange wires and plywood panels aplenty – and of course the odd coin found for my purse. Observations The first thing that you notice after stripping a car is that the parts you take off take up far more room than they have a right to. After all, they weren’t taking up much room while on the car but all of a sudden you need boxes and shelves, hanging room and wall space for leaning panels on and snap lock bags for nuts, bolts and clips aplenty. It’s about here that you start to appreciate the work that went into manufacturing and assembling what is an elegant mechanical machine. I sought out advice prior to starting the stripping process and received a lot of good tips (thanks to you guys). Repeatedly I was told to bag and tag everything, even the broken parts. This advice was echoed in Wick Humble’s book, 'How to Restore Your Datsun Z-Car'. I have taken this advice on board but haven’t been obsessed about it. Some of the parts were not original so it was pointless to waste my time with labeling and storing them, others seemed so obvious as to not require any documentation while others yet, for example the wiring, seemed so complex that it was pointless for me to fuss over it since I have no plans to do the job myself. I might be regretting that last one as I am now considering having a go… Other advice mentioned patience and a delicate touch. The car is over 40 years old and requires a gentle and patient hand. I can tell you I’ve used hammers and mallets, grinders both large and small, screwdrivers that will scare the screws off by simply pointing at them, vice grips that have survived what looks like a throwing competition, but most of all a large broom to sweep away the rust that falls off every time I breathe near the car. I will concede it takes a delicate touch at times but when that bastard of a bolt doesn’t want to budge after being soaked in enough penetrating liquids to develop a mild addiction to it, you just have to bring out the breaker bar and standby with a grinder as a threat. Mistakes You won’t learn anything unless you have a go and make some mistakes. I had a go and now I know that taking out a windshield with previously mentioned scary screwdriver is not a good idea. The right tool for the job rings a bell but when you don’t have that right tool it’s mighty tempting to make do with what’s at hand. Exercising patience avoids costly mistakes. Throwing out damaged original parts is a big mistake with emphasis on the word original. Even if you would never use that part again it makes sense to keep it for reference until the day you have a replacement in hand. There are so many variations in parts from early cars to late cars, between models and between cars of different markets that finding the exact part you need becomes a huge task without an original for reference. This of course applies only if you are concerned with originality which I am. I learned this lesson very quickly and now I have a cache of broken clips, panels, bits of trim and even some brown stuff that looks like horse hair… Mechanical Mechanical objects fascinate me. My intention is not to sound macho but I love the challenge of stripping something bare, getting my hands dirty with its grease and grime, figuring out how it all works in a detective like manner and damned be your instruction manual as I soak up the marvel, the simplicity of mechanical objects designed and built by my father’s functional and practical generation. The 240Z is one of these mechanical objects and while certain parts of it are complex and possibly beyond my mediocre skills, the majority of it is simple and just makes perfect mechanical sense as I’m tearing it down which gives me confidence for the restoration and then the assembly phase of the project.
  21. It was only listed this morning.
  22. If I had the room this would be coming home with me on a tow truck tonight.
  23. Looks like a bargain! 240Z rolling shell 1971 minimal rust $600 http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/seven-hills/wheels-tyres-rims/datson-240z-1971-rolling-shell/1044226178
×
×
  • Create New...