Cam grind on a EFI L28

DreamZproject

Hey guys I'll eventually be after a mild cam grind on my L28 (stock EFI harness from a 280ZX)

and i was just wondering whats the deal with it all...

1. cost (and where to get it done around Melbourne)

2. power increase (for a streetable grind)

3. issues coming from the un-tuned efi harness

Anything else i need to consider???

Dont go heavy on duration, you need the stock AFM to operate correctly, you may need to increase idle slightly.

A set of extractors and an exhaust system to complement.

Try Wades in Bentleigh area, they know what to do.

Power increase is very subjective, you end up with what you get, be happy.

Best simple thing to add, if sticking with stock ECU, is an adjustable fuel pressure reg, that adds 20hp straight away, once you have had it set up properly.

Right, now, some Melbourne peeps, tell him who can set it up, using rolling raod dyno.

Hmmm....I'm a turbo guy. My experience with normally exasperated engines is that hot cams give away a lot of bottom end to get top end, so unless you're racing it, it becomes a dog for street driveability, all to make top end power that you use hardly ever! Peter Mc will know what to do though...he's all over NA engines and cam selections and where to get the work done.

there is lots to think about with cams in efi engines if you stay with stock efi and its tune i would not change the cam  , there is some Gaines to be had with the cam but with out the ability to tune the stock ecu it will be a dog to drive .

If you have a ecu that is tps as its mane lode table then the sky is the limit go for gold on the cam and comp and the hp will come , as for which cam id use you can come and see me ,,

hmmmm i thought that might be the problem... :D great info from you guys once again!

The only problem i have with an aftermarket ECU (apart from me having to be sneaky about

it while im still on my P's) is that it will cost an arm and a leg...

I really like the suggestion of a fuel pressure regulator... i have no idea how it works, but

sounds like a simple upgrade...

Really im only looking to spend around the $1000 mark on performance, i just want to get to

the point before diminishing returns...

i just got a greddy emanage ultimate ecu, it is a piggy back system and it will even work with a L28e stock computer, you can control fuel etc with it but not timing due to the dizzy i got mine rediculously cheap but you can get them on ebay for $600 and with the use of a wide band it can self tune

If this was a true 300ZX diagram the word "reliable" would never appear on it, but in it's current form it works for your situation. lol

f_u78x_e43_u9olb.png

Peter MC seems to work on the bottom line mostly haha.

Yeah, im familiar with the cheap, fast, reliable conundrum...

Really I'm after; cheap, reliable, with a touch of fast taking away from the cheap...

Somewhere down the path I am considering moving to something like a RB engine

(a NA RB25 would be quite nice, and rather cheap...), but i really am open to

suggestions. At the moment, until im off my P's, im just looking for some moderately

cheap modifications that i can wring out of the L28 from a few simple bolt-ons, but

after that, I am looking for somewhere in the region of 200-250 HP, and it being NA

would be a bonus.

Where should i go from here?

put a good exhaust on it and just research some DIY stuff you can do to injected L28s on other sites like hybridz, the R30 skyline forum etc.

Then save up for some proper modifications. 250hp N/A is going to be at least $10k which ever way you go.

10k! damn! i was thinking around 4k could get me that on the L28... ah well, i guess you're supposed

to grab a figure and double it, so im not too far off...

But yeah, i think a bit of exhaust work, adjustable fuel regulator, and possibly a cheap second hand esc

unit should do me for now... can anyone confirm that this would be money well spent?

No, dont do it.

Spend all your money on dresses and jewelkry for your girlfriend.

She wont apprecieate it any more than usual.

Doing this stops you from becoming another irresponsible car loving hoon, and going racing around a racetrack someday.

And, enjoying yourself!

Of course, spend it on the car, go all out, have some fun, just remember, you will be a long long time dead, when you go!

Doing this stops you from becoming another irresponsible car loving hoon, and going racing around a racetrack someday.

And, enjoying yourself!

LOL! He's 100% right, coming from the bloke that has broken something doing exactly this :D

If you want to be fast - and I mean seriously fast - spend the grand on driving lessons!  No I'm not kidding.  No I'm not just picking on you because you're on your P's.

A good steerer in a Hyundai will blow the doors of a Zed driven by a dick!  The driving skills you learn are transferable to another car (unlike the parts you buy) and just might save your life (unlike the parts you're likely to buy)!

In addition your local cops won't put a canary on your driving skills.

Food for thought.

I was told many years ago - "There are two things you can't tell a bloke:  You've got a little sharp object and you're not a very good driver."

Hey moderators - what's wrong with the word prick?  Stop doing that!  I said prick.  OK this is giving me the shits!  It did it again.  All I said was shit.  Fucking nanny state!  Shit, will you pricks stop fucking with me?

Yes this is all absolutely true... yeah i really should wait until the car is mostly put together before I get

and set plans...

I have recently done a defensive driving course (learned a lot by the way!) and loved it, I'd really like to

do another or possibly some sort of race training...

Ok, back on track, focus, just get the car to the damn sand blasters first! :D

Thanks guys! This wasn't the result i wanted in the first place, but i realise now, there's a ton of time and

money to be spent in other places before i need to consider upping the speed of the car. It's not like they're

slow in the first place!

it is if your stock one has a cracked diaphram lol, it happend to mine it definatly had a 20hp gain after it was replaced ;D

Getting fuel to the motor will do that every time  ;D

I've got a PMC motor in my shed.  It's got no power at all.  I'm expecting very big improvements when I supply it with fuel and a spark source though.  ;D

Check out this link for a selection of driving courses in each State:

http://www.aussiemotorists.com/adt.html

If you want to be fast - and I mean seriously fast - spend the grand on driving lessons!  No I'm not kidding.

A good steerer in a Hyundai will blow the doors of a Zed driven by a dick!  The driving skills you learn are transferable to another car (unlike the parts you buy) and just might save your life (unlike the parts you're likely to buy)!

Quoted for Truth!

For those in the South Eastern NSW region (Sydney, Wollongong, Canberra, Goulburn, etc), I strongly recommend the Fifth Gear Motoring Advanced Driving Course/Trackdays  *Click Here*  They have one coming up on the 11th of October!!