Race/tarmac car 260/280 2 seater

dat2kman

BUT, stick a TURBO on uncle Calos's car, 'cis thats how they was solded in da YOOESAY, i it should be accepyed as 2F, on good semis, rim width allowances, and in the States they ran a 15" dealer option rim, it would go pretty well???

What you say young Matthew!!

Would have to check.2F rules as it may have had to have been sold here. 15's not a problem, nor going up to 8 inch wide. You would have to run standard turbo and inlet and exhaust manifolds though for both 2F and 2B.

Could.still be a potential giant killer.with a snail.

Would have to check.2F rules as it may have had to have been sold here. 15's not a problem, nor going up to 8 inch wide. You would have to run standard turbo and inlet and exhaust manifolds though for both 2F and 2B.

Could.still be a potential giant killer.with a snail.

What would be needed for the 280ZX is for the suspension to be properly sorted, not half done like all the similarly suspended Datsuns I know about are, properly done like the gun E30's were for example.

Pity to see Jason's 280Z for sale, I can recall seeing some ripper pics of him dicing up the top in Sc races.

• 1 month later...

Update, now has had extensive top end  ( head ) work done by Les Collins and Peter McDonnel.

After a minor issue  at PI6 hour event, , all work done and completed in time for Historic Winton, the following weekend.

Lap times in the 1.42's/ 1.43's on Winton long track, last weekend.

Hold fastest race lap records at other circuits.

There is further development posdible in this  as well as the spare engine, especially in the heads and manifolds, and still complying with CAMS Historic requirements.

Can also provide a comprehensive spares package, including close ratio boxes, LSD diffs, complete ready to assemble spare developed race spec engine, flowed manifolds, selection of rims and tyres for both GpS and Tarmac.

Spares available with car, or to be sold seperate after car sold.

• 2 months later...

Price droppage.

Lets talk turkey.

It can come as a complete package with HEAPS of spares, or, as a standalone ready to race or rally weapon.

Are we going to play more with the 120Y and fairlady, or has the bug bit for more traipsing around the world in business class......

Nup nup nup.

Cant drive 'em, dont want 'em

Trips are nice but have to take it easy for a bit.

Okidoki

As said, to build one, and a proper one, that will serve it up to cars that have five times the expense budget, will cost around 60k

Who here woould like their hand held, some guidance and advice given, by someone with a bit of experience, and rat cunning racecraft, and is prepared to jump from the piddly pussy play worl of lap dashes and supersprints, into a car that currently still holds class lap records, and outright fastest lap times in Historic Prod Sports

As said price droppage, the stable needs emptying.

This could be the "lets pool together, loan Simon the money and he buys a proper race car " fund.

How much have you got?

How much can others lend you? ( you sort out the terms and payments)

No i dont take children as payment, i have got my own!

Sher, let him accquire a rare unique one off piece of Aussie Z race history!

He'll be a goid boy, he promises!!M

Jason - I see you have the 2000 in the entry list for the Tasman Revival.

Event organiser opened entries three months ago, it is a popular event.

In between time, i have had to get a dose of reality pills, the eyesight issue, and, knowing what these events entail, pls the getting there and home, etc, so, i reckon it was safest to pull the pin and withdraw my entry.

Worst of all, going on entry lists, i would well and truly have taken outright Group T Sports Car championship feature race, in the Gp T &Gp S field.

But, with some 200 plus trophys at home, meh, its just a bit of tin plastic glass and wood.

• 9 months later...

Touch of thread mining, just for the old bloke with the un-classifiable un-logbookable butchered ZX, that can only use fifth gear top speed circuits.

This Logbooked fully compliant multi purpose well sorted, with further development pitential car,now, hold class lap records at,

Lakeside Raceway, Queensland Raceway, Morgan Park long circuit, and is 0.2 seconds off class lap record at Winton Long, it laps PI in 1.55's, and Mt Panorama in 2.45's, Eastern Creek in 1.53's.

These are very good credentials for a steel bodied 6" wide rimmed, stock factory braked heavy shell 280Z.

Apparently, some old keyboard racer type would dispute the above. From the comfort of his Namco pladtic chair.

Seriously, after having had extensive upper engine work done recently, with Les Collins Racing, and done two events since, and bodywork repaired, she's ready to race.

• 2 weeks later...

Lol so much hate  :'(

Yes, he really is quite the k-nob! Trollster plus!

Fwiw, it has a new close ratio box fitted, rb internals, the old close ratio box can be sold with the car

Lurch's recent vid from PI shows its gearchanging and rpm drops.

The Group S Association has on their website the track lap records, and as does Natsoft, at the numerous tracks around the country, where it has actually raced, as opposed to just hot air and gunnagunna talk.

A genuine interested buyer will get a lot of documentation in relation to the car, and the event records and setup books.

Gee whiz, that reminds me, Lurch has got a lot of my incar stuff, yet to be put on the UberTube. The ones where i have to start from rear of race grid, as i didn't qualify, are quite good.

But of course, the Trollking will tell us all how he would fo it, and so much better, too!

Car is for sale, front right guard repaired, new chassis rail sections proffesionally welded in, rust removed.

Zzzed, put a downpayment on it, nil interest charge, pay it off LayBy style.

No not Lebo style!!

A 260Z is not a 280Z

Ask CAMS after the Mt Buller crash seen on SBS TV

They came to my house from Mt Gambier and scrutinesed a genuine HGLS30 I bought from a  US serviceman

A 260Z is NOT a 280Z in any form except shape.

Ask CAMS

2c

Previous info

1976 HGLS30 left hand drive 280Z 2+2 purported to have originated in the USA from a US serviceman who came to work at the US spy base in Alice Springs in 1982.

He sold the car locally (naughty naughty, private imports not allowed back then) to his girlfriend who has owned for 17 years.

It has been stored in the high desert for the past 5 years and now I can buy it.

There are some problems however as I see it ...I will be brief.

1/. Authenticating the cars origin as USA, how do I do this it may have come from other Left hand countries.

2/. The engine has been nmodified to a single down draft carburettor and I need to get details of the original EFI system and change it back.

3/. Spare parts what fits from 240/260Z cars as thats the only models ever sold in Australia.

4/.There are very few 280z's here and virtually no spares, so how do I get rudimentary parts like fixing a broken tail light or side light or window?

etc etc any comments will be answered thanks in advance.

Details........

Datsun 280Z 2+2

Date 1976.

Black in colour.

Engine number L28 084295

Hi ZAZ, your're new here!

Sorry, you are incorrect.

There are 280 Z's around, CAMS has now issued ligbooks for two of them, to compete in Historic Production Spirts Cars, Category S©

CAMS website does list vehicle specification sheets for the Datsun 280Z

They were a production car sold in USA? As a 2 seater.

They were also raced in SCCA ( USA Prod Sports) events.

They were model run-on from the 260Z, with the larger bore  FI engine, and required items as needed for registration in USA states, including Canada. The lower front panels were unique, along with the heavy USA Impact front and rear bumpers, which are able to be removed, as per CAMS regulations.

There are many spare parts sources for the 280Z.

There have been a number of Left Hand Drive varios S30 cars imported, and under certain conditions set by the varioys Australian transport authourities, these cars can be registered for use on roads, as LHD.

It is also quite easy to convert to RHD, but, the values in the marketplace, today, would render this as un-viable.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi dat2kman

Your selling into a pretty thin market but as you know there are always people looking for well sorted front running cars also buying something already done is far more economical than building one yourself as we have found, the only benefit in doing one yourself is the opportunity to get pretty much exactly what you want first up but it comes at a cost and certainly in our case when it's finished cost won't be remotely close to value.

www.my105.com is the no one site for race cars in Aus I just checked it and can't see your car there have you thought about or tried that site?

Only two Zeds when I checked today http://www.my105.com/Classifieds/tabid/61/k/datsun/Default.aspx 

Cheers

Dad