Craig's Subaru Power Steering conversion

620Z

Craig, rather than belt the chassis rails for clearance move the base of the column where it goes through the firewall. Old trick form the days of swapping SBC into LC/LJ Torana. Just have to redrill the holes in the plate at the base of the colmun where the bolts go through. Much easier and more "legal" than modifying the rail.

DF.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah I thought of that Dave. Because I know you did that. But you car is in prices. My motor is in the way and I'm not pulling the dash out etc. I am getting over it. So in a rare occurrence I might take the easy way out. I will have one last look Saturday morning. I would like to do it that way. Maybe?? Will let you know.

Quick update. Spent 5 hours on it today.  Ground about 2mm of the chassis rail. Didn't have to take much off or break through it. So fitted up the steering arm and fits perfect with about 5mm clearance. Re routed the fuel line. All done.

So Sunday I have to re fit the header fill radiator & power steering fluid etc. Then start her up and check for leaks.

Been a big job for a hack like me. Will report back with results and some pictures tomorrow. Cheers

OK all finished and started her up on Sunday. Damn we made the alloy pulley for a 13mm wide belt not an 11mm belt. So the belt started slipping even though I got a bit of pressure but not total. So the pulley is being modified today to accommodate the 11mm belt. Will try again this Tuesday night. Fingers crossed again.

Since it's getting a bit boring I have thrown up a few more shots.

post-260-144023642547_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023642554_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023642929_thumb.jpg

post-260-144023642936_thumb.jpg

Hi Gents,

Well we started the car last night and have a problem. The steering pulls massively to one side. I can't pull it back the other way when the motor is going. Almost like no oil on one side. But we checked we have oil in both lines when we took the two off.

Our thoughts are that maybe we put the lines around the wrong way? We are confident the pressure and non pressure feed hoses are OK. What do you think guys. Could this be the cause? Any other ideas. Are we 100% sure turning the mechanism 180 degrees is OK on the Subi rack?

I will go on line later today and look up some sights and try and work it out for my self. However the USA cars are of course left hand drive etc. I will try and find some pics that might help me.

Either way I might pull the lines off tonight and get some new ones made up to swap them around?

Open to suggestions from people who might know more on this than me.  :-[

Cheers

I looked at Craig's photos and his lines from the power head to the rack are correct and then I started fairly shivering myself that the whole concept of turning the power head on the rack 180 degrees was an issue.

Just spoke with Craig and it turns out he has his high pressure and low pressure lines from the pump the wrong way around.

I took a shot of my rack when I first got it and you can see the high pressure is the smaller diameter line that goes in the lower port and the low pressure (no flare nut on the end that goes to the reservoir) is the larger line that goes in the top port.

Phew!

post-1672-144023643143_thumb.jpg

Wow thanks Dave you saved me some time and hassle with your great advise.

When I got my rack there were no pressure lines on it. So all we did was assume the same thread from the pump was the same thread size on the rack. But amazingly or inexplicably they are different. So off to Gordon's tonight to remove the lines and get a new pressure hose made up with different fittings either end and bob should be my uncle!

The saga continues but not a bad thread for others who plan on doing the same I guess.

Moral to the story. Never give up, never run out of time or funds and you will succeed in the end. Fingers crossed the end is near.

Cheers    :P

Ok Zed fans.

Another couple Of hours on the car tonight swapping around the hoses etc. Nothings easy. Ha. Anyway started her up and wow to my astonishment I had power steering. The wheel turned really easy. Surprise, surprise. Well I was anyway. No oil leaks so we did a wheel alignment and she is good to go on the road.

It was after 10 and Gordon needed his beauty sleep. So in the next couple of days I will drive her home and give you people's an up date on how it feels

A big thanks to Gordon for the use of his hoist for the last 8 weeks he tells me. I didn't think it was that long. Thanks to Rob for all his engineering prowess and also Kato Kid Dave. Couldn't have done it with out the 3 of you.

Happy chap. I will have my quiet time after I drive it.

Cheers ;D

Hey Craig, great news very "pumped" for you!

Pls post driving impressions ASAP, better still come to my place Saturday for the post cruise BBQ....even if you cant cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

OK gents still only driven the car once when I drove it home from Gordon's place. I have just today picked up the newly machined pulley in the correct diameter and the new spacers that are 7mm longer to ensure I still have no bump steer. These will go in tomorrow morning and I have a wheel alignment booked for 11.45 Saturday as well. After that the car should be good to go. So I will then finally be able to report back on the feel of the steering since I will take it for a spin around the hills if the roads are dry.

Till then.  :D

• 4 weeks later...

Gents, I took the Zed for an extended fang today. The steeeing was fantastic. Reved the car to 6,500 rpm and hit 160-180klms a few times. So fully tested the steering now and really happy withit even at high speed. As for the parking, well what a breeze rather than wrestling with that wheel.

So is the Subi rack a good option? Sure is.  :D

Bring on Tassie.  Cheers

Hey Craig

My congrats along with Kato. My engine is going back in the car this weekend, and then I have a few days of wiring work before it will run. But I hope to fire it by end November, so will then get a sense of how the steering feels too!

Cheers

Jamo

Hey Jamo. Thanks for that. Yes I must say the steering is very light. 2 fingers to turn the wheel now. But I like it. I am sure you could make it slightly heavier. But I haven't ever driven a Subaru so not sure if it is normal. Probably is as everything has been done the same. I know I said it before but I will say it again. Parking is a breeze. I used to dread getting my car into the garage with a 3 point turn. Now not an issue.  :D

Jamo will your car be on the road for the 3/12/11 BBQ at Gordon's place? Would like to see your car.

Cheers

Reved the car to 6,500 rpm and hit 160-180klms a few times.

On a closed racetrack in a fully controlled environment yea?  ;) ;D

good stuff! good to see its all worked out properly.

As for the light steering, perhaps later at some point (if desired) you can adjust the weight of the system by replicating some of the high end cars, EG, Porsche.

They use a PWM valve that bypasses the pressure line out of the pump back into the resevoir, all internally of course, but no reason why it cant be done externally.

They increase the PWM rate the faster the car goes, effectively bringing the weight back into the steering at high speeds, to reduce the twitchy feeling yet still allowing full power control at low speeds for comfort and parking assist.

Depending on the ECU fitted (if you do have one) some have PWM outputs that are 100% configurable.

That may be able to be mapped and varied against the road speed input.

Would effectively allow you to dial in the perfect weight exactly how you want it and where you want it.

May not be relevant to you, but good info to have in one spot for anyone else considering it.

Hi Alan, thanks for the advise.

The car isn't really twitchy. the rack is progressive anyway. So the more your turn the steering wheel the more the wheels will turn right and left. It's all good I will leave it as it is.

And yes of course I tested my car in a controlled environment. What do you think I am crazy.  ;) I had full control!

Hey Craig...the Xmas party is going to be a stretch, but you never know...I will by trying though!

There are a few things you can do to adjust weighting of steering. I will fill you in on them when I start fiddling around myself. In a nutshell, you can either increase the rate of the torsion bar inside the control valve, and that will increase the weight, or you can modify the boost valve in the pump (if so equipped) to modulate the pressure delivered at different pump flow rates.

If all that is too hard, you can bypass some of the flow from the pump back to the reservoir via a controlled orifice, thereby reducing the pressure at the rack.

Cheers

Jamo