aidannn's orange twofourzed

aidannn

• Administrators

the whole experience has turned me off the car.

Mate I know how you feel I recently purchased 2 different things from the UK for my FD RX-7

1. Brake Kit at £400 of value. Front rear discs + pads. Never showed up. Have been trying to sort it out for 2 months. Courier apparently lost it, they only wanted to refund £50 as that's all it was insured for. I should have said to seller insure for whole amount, but let him take care of details. Big mistake. Hoping to at least get some of my money back. He's still trying to call different depots to find it.

2. Bought an intercooler kit off eBay with various other parts like oil catch can, Greddy intake elbow etc.. Again never arrived. This time is was sent to other side of Ireland (West Coast). Called the guys who apparently signed off on it and they have never seen it. Since it was purchased via eBay I got a refund via PayPal and the guy genuinely tried to help sort it out. I paid £350 for the Trust Intercooler and piping was more upset I didn't get the parts.

So I'm still £400 pound down and need rear brakes, when I drive the car I hear grinding from rear brakes. Sends me nuts, lucky it's only a weekend car.

Anyway at 1 point I was seriously thinking I should just sell the RX-7 and not own a car. I've calmed down a bit now but the experience has taught me a few things.

A. Always insure the package for full amount even if it costs more.

B. It's better to buy from a company / business even if it will cost a bit more than buying (unused second hand).

C. Buy in person if you can, much better to deal face to face and see the parts.

D. Use PayPal if dealing online.

E. If you buy a package from someone on a forum ask them to send a photo of the items in the box before being sent. Ask for tracking ID from the start and keep an eye on where it is using courier website and tracking ID.

I'm sure I've learnt something else, but now I forgot haha. In all honesty in all my years dealing with Zcars and Zparts I've never had a problem. It's only been since dealing with RX-7 related stuff. I'm hoping it's just coincidence, but man there is nothing worse than paying for something and not have it arrive.

If you want my opinion on your L28 turbo. I'm guessing your current motor runs fine. So just start building your own L28 Turbo on the side slowly over time. At least you will learn something and know it is a good motor, buying second hand you never know who built it and how well. My 2 cents.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a similar experience with a clutch going on me after 9mths of limited use. Put me off the whole car so I sold it. Probably was a knee jerk reaction so just park it up and sit on it for a bit. As mentioned above youd be better off spending $$ on making your engine a turbo. At least you know whats actually in it.

Hi Aidann

Sorry things didn't work out with the L28ET you were buying. Try not to let it put you off the car, as they're well worth persevering with...although sometimes the nuts behind the wheel let us down!

I have an L28ET sitting on my garage floor that i recently pulled out of my 240Z. It has a North American 280ZX gearbox behind it (which has the better 5th gear ratio for cruising....0.745:1 instead of 0.864:1 for Aussie delivered cars). I imported the gearbox some years ago, and with a 3.7 diff it does 2,500RPM at 100km/h. The engine is Motec M48Pro controlled, and I would sell it complete with everything except intercooler, radiator and  big fuel pumps...all else included from fan to propeller shaft, wiring harness, ECU and all that stuff that costs a lot of money to make/buy. The engine makes around 400FWHP, and makes for a very quick 240. Until I put Yokohama AO32R tyres on it, it would smoke 245/40R17's in the first 3 gears. The Yokies spin thru 2nd and hook up in 3rd.

Although I have a mate who's interested in it, I just can't see him getting organised anytime soon, so I need it gone to clear up the garage. Let me know if you're interested, and if so, I'll ask him how keen he actually is. For the whole lot it would be around $5,800.

Cheers

Jamo

Aidann.

Jump on this! Jamo knows his stuff and from my dealings with him I would doubt he would misrepresent anything. This is CHEAP horsepower. Freight to Sydney should be max $200.

Thanks Kato

Aidann, if you're in any doubt, here's about what it takes to build up what I'm selling:

Donor L28 engine: $500

Machining: $1000

Turbo: $1000

Exhaust manifold: $500

Fuel pressure regulator/fuel rail: $250

Camshaft/Valve gear: $250

Gasket set: $150

Cylinder head porting: $500

Wastegate: $500

Injectors: $700

Motec ECU: $2000

Harness: $250

Clutch: $500

Water pump: $100

Alternator 55A: $200

Ignition parts: $100

Intercooler plumbing and BOV: $300

Pistons/RIngs: $600

Gearbox/USA import: $1000+

Assembly labor: $???

Tuning: $600

And a bunch of other stuff I can't think of right now...as you can see, it's not hard to spend $10k plus.

Up to you.

Cheers

hey guys

thanks for all your advice and encouragement. the good thing is i dont think ill be able to let go of the old girl just yet. its like a girlfriend. they give you lots of headaches and you want to throw in the towel.. but once your inside them  :P ;) you forget all about it.

other news, was only just able to get into touch with the seller of the l28et. he told me that on his drive up, from what i understood his ute wheel came off on the road? well something big broke? and the trailer unhooked? something like that and it fd the engine and stuff. he told me ill be getting my money back. so hopefully nothing goes wrong.

benny/gav/rb30x - that seemed like the way to go in regards to the l28. however this package jamo is offerring is very tempting. and those prices seem pretty daunting if i wanted to build my own.

kato - only $200 to ship all of that? and the gearbox?? are you sure that seems super cheap!

jamo - ill send you a pm.

e-go should be able to do it for that if you drop off and pickup from the depot!! I sent an RB20det+Gearbox+Driveshaft+Exhaust+IC and Piping+Radiator+Wiring on 1 pallet from Melbourne to SA and it didnt cost anymore then $200. Jamos Package is pretty good value for money!!

I hope he's talking about the engine? ;)

Youre a sick puppy Tim!

Most freight companies will do a single pallet as long as nothing is hanging over the sides for less than $200.

• Moderators

e-go should be able to do it for that if you drop off and pickup from the depot!! I sent an RB20det+Gearbox+Driveshaft+Exhaust+IC and Piping+Radiator+Wiring on 1 pallet from Melbourne to SA and it didnt cost anymore then $200. Jamos Package is pretty good value for money!!

Just about to send a L28 with box, clutch etc to Brisbane in a crate and got quoted $266.

With my L24 that I just built that cost just over $6000 and its just an NA engine! That turbo setup sounds like a real bargain...borrow,beg and / or steal to get it! haha

Thanks for the supportive comments gents!

Aidann...replied to your PM. If budget is an issue, suggest you go a normally exasperated engine.

While I love my injected turbo's, they are a lot more money to build than their non-turbo carby cousins, and a good L28 with triple webers is a delight to listen to and makes stacks of power to have a lot of fun with. That way you can spend more money on the interior and paint job etc so the car looks great and is nice inside, with more than adequate performance. Super-dooper-double-overhead-hump-dollar guzzling turbo engines are not a priority alongside getting the car working as a whole, and at the age they are, restored to be a nice thing rather than a rusty shyt box.

Cheers

Jamo

hi jamo

let me know what your friend decides. tried to be abit more money sensible and convince myself i dont want the l28et. but. i do. always have.

i mean if i wanted to be sensible with cash.. why did i buy a z lol. already got the paint job sorted. the interior parts ill do slowly over time.

i thought long and hard about an l28 with triples but cost wise you can spend just as much, and my greatest fear would be dropping all that cash and not being satisfied powerwise. your 400hps is more than i'd ever need in a car.

that reminds me what are peoples opinions on these seats.

ha757.jpg

ha737e.jpg

ha756.jpg

ha760_Medium.jpg

If you are going to go for those seats I would also recommend the Cobra Classic or Classic CS. The only issue I see with those style seats are the ones with no headrest could be a roadworthy/safety issue depending on how hard you want to drive your car.

That's why I will be going turbo...you can spend 10k on internals and the engine will be a precision, high maintenance beast with maaaybe 250whp, probably any Skyline will still take ya. Go turbo for perhaps a little less $ and you have a broader power range anywhere from say 200 to 400 and it's done nice n easy with injection looking after it all.... Don't maybe sound so go though :)

update: still havent received my money and the seller is gettin increasingly harder and harder to get in contact with.

very much turned off this car.

would anyone be interested in purchasing this z?

• 1 month later...

just a bit of an update.

went to a meet awhile back mainly uni kids. they took some nice pics of the z for me.

got the new lip on, spent an hour just to polish my two hayashi streets.

sold my two bride seats, going to purchase a pair of recaro lx/ls seats (without the mesh headrests unfortunately).

278756_10150239433886743_520801742_7981069_2115141_o.jpg

5925581398_d4283d37ef_o.jpg

261791_10150312604539810_721864809_9476435_3829665_n.jpg

another big update, well for me actually, not so much you guys.

ive hunted down the bastard that scammed me for the l28et.

lets just say the legal ball is rolling and hopefully i can just get my money back and forget all about this bs.

its not over until the fat lady sings but i must say my love for the z is slowly coming back.