Gyra's Z project

Gyra

After being annoyed by an ill fitting guard on my Z for 17 years I've finally decided to replace it!

I could never get the panel gaps on the left guard right - line up the bonnet side, and there'd be a 15mm gap along the door etc. I discovered a "made in taiwan" logo stamped into it some time back, so it's obviously an aftermarket replacement panel. Probably explains a few dings in the chassis rail along that side too...

I've now got an original 240 guard from fleabay - somewhat battered, with a couple of tiny rust holes. It was from another white car, but not really presentable...

After stripping it back I found a reasonable amount of filler covering some crappy repair work, which I removed and then spent a couple of nights panel beating. Hi neighbours!

A trial fit and it plonked straight on - perfect gaps all around. Now I need to get hold of a welder and pretend I'm Chip Foose!

Also, what to do about the side mounted indicators? The right guard has one, but the left is virgin metal. Should I keep them, or go for a brazilian?

post-103-144023612288_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023612307_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023612324_thumb.jpg

• 5 months later...

While stuffing around the front guard repair I thought I'd bolt up some R31 rear brakes that have been sitting under the bench for a while.

As noted elsewhere in the forum this is not a straight bolt-on affair!

I went for the "12 o'clock" caliper position, ie up top to get the bleed screws in the right place.

This did make the handbrake bracket very close to the strut, and about 10mm clearance between the cable and the outside uni joint.

I did offset the mountin holes on the caliper bracket to move the calipers about 3mm towards the front of the car to get some extra clearance though.

Also took the opportunity to install a 15/16 master from a 280zx.

Bleeding took forever, even using a vacuuum pump!

post-103-144023636758_thumb.jpg

Also working on some Simmons wheels that have been sitting around for years.

The centres were gold, but the powder coating was seriously degraded.

I picked these up from someone off the ozdat forum, I believe they were off his 1600 being used for racing (nice unit with an SR20)

There were a few dings in the outer rims, but I've managed to machine these back and get them looking reasonably good.

The powder coating took a lot of work with stripper to remove - I should have paid for sandblasting...

I now need to get these re-coated. I'm thinking metallic charcoal / dark silver.

Any suggestions for powdercoaters in Melbourne?

post-103-144023636771_thumb.jpg

post-103-14402363678_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023636786_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've decided to sell the Simmons rims as the offset wasn't right (+40) and would need a huge spacer which would be legally dubious!

In the meantime I picked up a nice set of Rota grids from Stivva.

The urban cammo black finish wasn't looking too crash hot, so I was planning on getting them bead blasted and refinished.

I had some left over paint stripper laying about, so tried it out...and found a pleasant surprise underneath!

A bit of buffing with some metal polish had things looking very nice.

(Was temped to keep them half stripped though, with that grungy black/orange theme happening they looked like something out of an anime cartoon...)

Next up I need to get some new tyres.

I had a look at some Goodyear F1's, which seem OK.  Any strong opinions on these?

G

post-103-144023644666_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023644672_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023644678_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023644683_thumb.jpg

8) Shiny! Looks good. I'm not sure bout goodyears but I used to run Pirelli P6000's when mine was more of a road car. They had excellent wet and dry grip and wore very well, they weren't too pricey either.

Are you going to clear coat the rims? If not,  There's a great metal polish I use on my radiator called 'Flitz' it's heaps better than autosol and lasts much longer. It was recommended by a metal polisher.

• 1 month later...

I decided on Kumho KU36 tyres - these looked to be the best of the Kumho's for street use.

Fairly soft rubber, but nowhere near as soft as racing tyres. Reasonably cheap too at $240 each (225/50/16)

The guard clearance at the rear wasn't too great with this size rubber however! So I picked up one of those nifty guard rollers from Burson's - at $180 it seemed like a good weekend challenge compared to $250+ to get a panel beater to do it!

post-103-144023651397_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023651401_thumb.jpg

Sadly though, I rediscovered all the filler that had been used on he wheel arches back when the car was painted...

Bog doesn't bend apparently! Also found a patch of rust in the left guard that I didn't know was lurking there.

So...now I need to get some remedial rust removal done. I wasn't particularly surprised - but disappointed all the same. The car is desperately in need of a re-spray anyway (last time was 1993...) so I'm in the market for a good panel shop somewhere in the Macedon ranges if possible.

post-103-144023651408_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023651415_thumb.jpg

Finally got the front wheels on - needed 5mm spacers to clear the springs.

I know it's slightly dodgy, but I'm looking into a set of coilovers to clear up some space. I notice a few folks have bought the 'budget' (chinese?) ones from ebay - are these OK or do they have any issues I need to watch out for?

I've also installed some 1970's Hella 4004 mirrors. I think they suit the Z shape better than the more common bullet type mirrors, but that's just my personal taste. Unfortunately the field of view from them can't be adjusted easily and is very average!

Also picked up a new fibreglass centre console from Freddy (Topstage). I'm planning on cutting out the slot for the choke lever and painting it satin black tomorrow if I get some free time. I'm very happy with the quality of this piece, and Freddy seems like a great bloke too.

G

post-103-1440236525_thumb.jpg

post-103-14402365251_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023652518_thumb.jpg

post-103-144023652523_thumb.jpg

Looking good there. Check out this build thread and you can see the 240Z coilover kit i purchased from canada.

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,10109.0.html

Here's the link for them. I'll be testing them in 2 weeks so i'll keep you informed.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Racing-Coil-over-Coilover-DATSUN-260Z-280Z-74-78-Adjustable-Lowering-Spring-1-/390366993427?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae3af9c13

Just check to make sure your strut diameter is the correct one if you do order them, $460 Canadian delivered.

Hey Scoota

Be interested to see your reaction to the coilovers. I've got the same and has made the ride harsh (tho much fun around the corners!). Roads here are pretty poor and that doesn't help. Haven't changed the shocks yet, but my gut feeling is that the 4/5kg rating is too much. Let me know how you go.

Wildy

Hi Guys, sorry to get a bit off topic here but Scoota I'm wondering what sort of oil you used and if you got rebuild kits (seals and o rings) when you rebuilt your wetlegs?

Yes i will do that, i rebuilt the wetlegs in the front and it does feel stiff.

Btw I like the white / red colour scheme and those wheels sure are shiny Gyra.

Cheers

Mick

Thanks guys.

Those coilovers from Canada look good. I'd be interested to hear what the ride quality is like

The car's skittish enough on poor roads as it is!

I've grown attached to the red dash cover, I'm not sure I could part with it (must be old age!)

G

Hi Guys, sorry to get a bit off topic here but Scoota I'm wondering what sort of oil you used and if you got rebuild kits (seals and o rings) when you rebuilt your wetlegs?

Use transmission fluid. They require a light oil, even sewing machine oil will do. I didn't buy new seals because the one's in there were in near perfect condition.