Introduction

hi zedman!!

since im new to this whole website forum thing im haing a bit of trouble finding the info i need (due to the sheer amount of info on here) so i guess ill just ask ya direct...

I find myself at a tough decicion because i have done some damage to my engine the other night on the way home from work and now my car wont start at all so im looking at a few options:

- spending some time to take it apart and analyze the problem and if its not too major reco'ing it to get it running nice again.

- maybe swapping the engine for an rb30 i have at home but i dont know whats involved with doing so

- or maybe finding on old v8 to put in it instead as these are simple engines and i have been having a few electrical problems with my L28

I have about $1k to try to get it sorted but just dont know what to do!!

any help would be much appreciated!!!

• Moderators

If you only have $1K, I'd stick to finding out the problem you have... for any engine conversion, unless you have accumilated most of the parts, you'd have to add another "0" to the $1000 to do a proper job. L28's are pretty robust and unless you have vented the block, it should be a pretty easy fix. With it not starting, I'd start with the basics (checking for fuel, spark etc) then go from there..

yeah thats what i thought about the conversions....

as for my engine i had a poke around today and its got good spark and the fuel seems fine but i pulled the plugs out and tested the compression and it was fairly low in 3 cyl so im thinking it might need rings but even before it stuffed up i was having a similar problem and i think its electrical, when the car is at running temp i can turn it off and leave it for 10 minutes and try to start it and it coughs and splutters really bad untill it cools down enough to start again.

just dont know which aspect i should try to fix first i would hate to do all this engine work just to still have the same problem with the electrics and vice versa......

thanks for the info

thanks gareth thats probably woth a look. if i end up ripping apart the engine i wanna put a vrs kit through it aswell and just clean up the head a bit while im at it,

also does anybody know of any cheap peformance upgrades while its apart that i can put in to give it a bit more go??? keeping it N/A (for the meantime anyway) as i dont have the money or knowledge for a turbo setup yet?

thanks again guys

• Moderators

If it coughs out alot of black smoke when warm, sometimes the cold start injector stick open and flood the engine. Its near the throttle body so for now just disconnect it and see if it starts ok. Just a guess though..

i dont think it blows any smoke but its worth a try anyway thanks:)

i think ill go the rebuild with new rings and do all that first and see if it runs nice i might even think about bolting on a turbo just gotta find some parts in qld (turbo manifold, dump pipe, ecu etc...) and wheigh up how muh it will cost extra to do so.

i have a stock turbo off an RB20det at home that i have been waiting to bolt on to something ;D

by the way do you know if i have to take the engine out of the car to hook up all the turbo stuff or if it can be done in the car?

thanks

i thought about the head gasket but someone told me it would more likely be the rings since there is no coolant in the oil but i wanna have a look at all the valves and the head when i do the job.

can the sump be taken off from the bottom while the engine is still in the car? and is there any other external mods needed for this conversion?? i dont want much hp just a bit more go around town as it is a daily driver

thanks

there dose not have to be oil in water or vis versa to have a blown head gasket. it could be blown between two cylinders

for the turbo the main two mods will be water and oil lines to the turbo.

You will only beable to run about 5 or 6 psi on standard ecu, injectors and fuel pump or you will blow holes in your pistons from leaning out to much 

thats what i said but because it is losing compression in cylnders 1.4,and 5. it seems a bit irregular to be a gasket but i guess only time will tell....

and also on the turbo if i run that little boost do i need an intercooler or can it run without one???

sorry for all the questions its just the first time im attempting to do this so i dont quite know all the details

cheers

well if it will work that will do fine :) and then if i want to up the boost i can upgrade the compnents as money permits, i think i have a small intercooler laying around somewhere.....might put that on for a test run, its gotta be better than nothing

hi tony, did you do the upgrade yourself? if so was there much work in it or did ya have to do any custom work to get it done?

What parts will i need for the standard setup? (apart from the turbo), im just trying to see how much money i need to get this done

any info you can give me on the subject is much appreciated!!