Rotten chasis rails

RB30X

Absolutely RB30... just done c-rails, floors, sill panels etc etc etc .

have a look at 'the brown hornet' under the members projects page ... I had mine done a week or two ago ... I am having lots of work done ...

cheers

Adam (acf321)

• 2 years later...

Thought I'd dig up this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm going to replace my floor pans at some stage and I'm considering buying some steel to fabricate the custom rails as per the link above.

Has the rail situation changed in two years?? Is there still no local provider? The bad dog rails from the US look brilliant and a good price but sending them here would be poison.

Have you guys fabricated yours yourselves?

I'd like stronger steel than factory obviously to help stiffen the chassis but then I don't want to add un-necessary weight to it either.

Anyone tackled this recently and have advice or wanna throw some pics up?

On 6/06/2011 10:31 AM, john@baddogparts.com wrote:

>> Tom - I've been out of the country and just got your emails. The cost for

>> our rails (the 280 version is the one you need) with shipping comes to:

>> $278.and they can be sent out as soon as payment is made.

>>

>> Shipping will be via USPS and should take 3-5 days.

>>

>> Regards

>>

>> John

I thought $278 was good. I think that makes it $180 for the rails and $100 for shipping. They also had to be cut in half due to UPS box size restrictions.

Youre right that is pretty good. Is that including the rear sections as well though?

If the bad bog rails are similar if not same dimensions as the drawing with measurements in the link above then theres a lot of steel you could buy for $300. But a pre fab weld in would be so much simpler.

Tim - I had my full-length rails made up by a local sheet-metal place for $50. They are thicker gauge and deeper (30mm) than standard. I had them made in sections and welded them together insitu - it was much easier. As you may be aware with the LS1/t56 I included inserts in the rails to accommodate the t56 gearbox mount. In hindsight, at someone's suggestion, I'm now sorry I didn't also include this mod at the rear so that I could install another cross-brace (the gearbox mount being the other). I plan to do that next time it is on the rotisserie and knowing the tailshaft position.

post-684-144023644573_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023644579_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023644585_thumb.jpg

post-684-14402364459_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys.

I know it's cheating but you don't have the measurements of those individual sections you had made do you Peter?

I'll have to go and suss out what sort of steel places are available locally.

Scott from here is a local so he might have an idea but he is away at the moment. 

With so many changes to these cars through their production run I think it wise to check on your own car. It's some time ago now but I'm fairly sure I just measured off the original rails for the width and just made up cardboard templates for the front and rear section - buy yourself a slab of XXXX and you should have enough template material.

Very important that you have the rear sway bar fitted when you are making the rear templates (you will need one for each side) or you will end up with version 1 and version 2 - trust me, I know this!

Check my build thread to see what I did. John from baddog sent me a drawing but do you think I can find it. I had mine knocked up at the local sheet metal place and still have a piece lying around if you want it. I could drop it in Gladstone on Monday. 8)

How long are you in Gladstone peter or are you just driving through? I'm currently in caboolture for my boys indoor cricket comp until after Monday so I'll miss you. What piece is left anyway and where did you get it made. Those drawings would be perfect if you could find them. I'm surprised mr bad dog even sent them to you to copy.

Tim, I am pretty sure I don't have the drawings anymore. I will be going past Caboolture around 1:30/2:00 pm on Sunday or I could leave the bit of steel at Tannum butcher shop. If you are free today you could come and get it. Give me a call 0412 two three six five nine nine.  8)