Rotten chasis rails

RB30X

yes rightly so. thats moreso bending of the chassis not so much twist, but yes i aggree that if you reinforce anything it 'should' be stronger/stiffer.

but listen to this one........

the 2nd shell i bought has had some serious accident damage on lh side. where the rail meets the firewall and heads under the floor, it has been plated with 5 & 6mm thick plates, 1 up each side of the rail transition, and 1 under the floor rail,

although its big bad and stif right there, there is evidence of flexing on either side of this repair, ie cracking and seam separation of tunnel to firewall skins and also rail to reapair,

so what im saying is, do it right youll be greatfull do it 'yea, just plate here up mate' may find you righteous, think of your chassis as added suspension give......

back OT, this rail doover can easilly be lengthened, shortened, thickned etc

should get some pics of the dodge repair up too......all to be removed and replaced with much more normal looking retrofits, rail, bit of the floor, tc rod mount, floor supports etc....

nat0

Nato, mines a 71 and I'm keen for the rear extensions, front extensions and maybe the middle rails as well.

Interesting about your comments on the sills providing the anti-twist  8) there is a foam type product that gets sprayed into the sills and hardens, it then puts outward pressure on the sills, creating more strength. Apparently rally cars have this done and I personally have seen a few hard core drift cars and imported front cuts with this done too. Easy, low cost improvement for extra strength...

Anyway, if you are into making something up for RB30X and/or myself I'm ready now. 

• 3 weeks later...

yea sort of, that foam fill is really there to keep the metal skins apart from each other, ie to resisit bending, does this best when the material in bending, one side is tryin to compress the other side stretch. foam is to stup the sheet meatal buckling and providing NO strength/resistance to bending.

also helps to deaden sound.

yea can make rails, extensions etc, Im making a new set for my 2nd 240z, as its got some nasty repairs, ala 5mm MS plates just slaped together.

i will be doing fun length items for sake of it.

nat0