Big Red-racer rebuilt

Hey Jase, yeah pretty happy with it straight off the trailer, as it only has a std front and no rear bar, I'd say the very stiff, old school, gravel spec Bilsteins are doing the job! It dart's around a lot, if it was the 1600 I'd say it was toeing out about 10mm! I'll bolt in the bump steer spacers that came with it and see if that helps. I've also got to re-train the brain a bit...throttle control for one, you can drive the 1600 with a on/off switch, not the Zed, LOL. Loving the engine, no dyno time yet, just a heap of Lambda tuning, but it hauls, a real tribute to the builder. Mick, you will be happy to know I've got an Ebay 3 core on the way, fingers crossed it will be here before the Kart track lap sprint. Oh yeah, leave the Wankle at home...you'll have a current world motor sport champion to try and beat in class E...

post-1057-144023730655_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023730659_thumb.jpg

Now u have me interested Hodgo You Know im not competitive but a world champion in class E be who is out there trying to take my class I would have expected club to already have my name engraved on the class e trophy if I entered in class e lol

Might have to con someone into driving rotary down for daughter so I can bring zed and save my honour lol

Mick

See pic below Mick, LOL  Mad Matty has a Maloo he want's to run! Scando's is also coming along nicely, he should give you a run for your money as well!!

Hey Gareth, The car came with some 'Drummond' built gravel spec Bilsteins, when I say Drummond built, I mean 1989, LOL. Unlike a lovely modern progressive, compliant, plush, tuneable DMS or Murray-flex shock, these bad boy's are stiff, but they will swallow a huge pot hole...if that's your thing?

Hhmmmm video's yep, but they are pretty boring, mostly me being held up by various British car's at Baskerville and Mick disappearing into the distance at Symmons...

post-1057-144023731082_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Dat...sorry the bumpers are just grey FG!

It was around 2 sec a run slower than the 1600, but on harder tyres and it understeers a bit, so a bit of sorting out there. Might try a rear sway bar first up. Brakes are big 4 spot Brembos with Project Mu pads and have been good, but not mind blowing, so next step is to try a smaller front master cyl on the peddle box. The fun begins.....

First photo..What the first couple of drives felt like. Second photo..of course it's fake!

post-1057-144023733801_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023733805_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

LOL yeah that was a tough call Mick...Roger had been planning what he was going to do for a couple of years...

We had a ripper of a day down here yesterday, with the traditional end of year event the Highcleare hillclimb. Mick in the V8 was up it all day and pulled a heap out of his PB, and was pipped by a RB 30/25 R31 2 door that broke the class record. I'm really looking forward to seeing Scando's 240Z going after watching the Skyline!!

I had another good day in the Zed, It went 4 tenths quicker than the 1600, which doesn't sound much...but it was more due to the driver not stringing a lap together rather than the car. I probably wasted a couple of runs by not listening to my tyre guru, he was saying to run the Khumo's at 22 cold....nah surely not...but yep he was right, we knocked them back and she gripped up. Corner speed is where we will pick up time, the Zed was 20km/h quicker to the top corner, but only 4/10th quicker in lap time, so plenty of time to be made up with suspension tuning. A day at the drag's might be on the cards to try and sort out how best to get it off the start line, and the grip out of slow corners is magic, the Torsen works a treat!

We will be kept busy over the next couple of months!! Next years shaping up to be epic, our local Black Tack series will consist of 2 Highcleare, 2 Barrington Hillclimbs, 2 Kart track sprints and Symmons Lap dash. and I put an entry in for a new 7 km hillclimb at Poatina run by Targa. 10 run's with the cars 30 seconds apart...will be a hoot!

Thanks to Cody for the photo's!!

post-1057-144023736824_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023736832_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hey Guy's a bit of in car from yesterdays first round of our 'Black tack' series, I blew the gearbox next run...so it's a mad rush to get another box in before next weekend's Poatina Hillclimb.

We did a few front end changes over the break and it steers a lot better, adjustable rear arms and an alignment are next on the list. Still no Dyno time yet, but Leeroy is doing another tune with the logged Lambda data. It's still a very safe tune, a bit rich and we haven't cranked any timing into it yet, rev limiter is still on 7000. Plenty more to come!

Cheers

Hodgo

LOL I really should of edited that last bit out....

• 3 weeks later...

A few 'Pro shot's' from the Poatina mountain hillclimb a couple of weekends ago. Gotta say it is a magic road! 7.4 km, from wide open in 5th to 7 tight hairpins and everything in between. I'm still grinning like an idiot!!!

The Bride sat in the silly seat and loved it...can't talk her into selling a horse yet.

post-1057-144023744774_thumb.jpg

Oh and the smoke....tyre rubbing on the exhaust...boring I know!

We still have some slow speed understeer to sort out, we are going to try some stiffer rear springs, plus another degree of camber on the front. The new Chinaman radiator is working well, we replaced the cap with a Triton jobbie and upped the catch bottle size to a litre and a half after it spitting water out at Highcleare. We ended up with a L series/SR20 gearbox hybrid and I was pretty happy with the ratio's..love the shifter after 20 odd years of L series box's!!

post-1057-144023744781_thumb.jpg

Cheers Gareth, the rims are 16 x 8 Superlites and tyres are Kumho V700's 225/50's in the hard compound. My mate Roger is the local Kumho motorsports guy and we scored these for a super price as they are a couple of years old. We ran their super softs on the 1600 for a couple of seasons with great results and once we get the handling sorted on the Zed I'll bolt on some fresh mediums. Leeroy has just been up to down load the latest data out of the computer and will give it a retune before the next event and has found some CroMo pipe to start building some rear arm's...to crank some of the rear toe out of it!

post-1057-144023744811_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023744823_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Barrington hillcimb Y'day, Mighty Mick cleaned up with a 1st in class E and 4th outright in VERY wet condition's! We snuck in with 7th o/r and 2nd in class by .05 of a second...

It rained all afternoon so a bit of fun was had! Fitted Scando's rear bar which made a positive difference to the handling as well.

So much for being a 'rare' car and hard to find....as many red Zed running yesterday as Common 'ol Commodore's!!

post-1057-144023746765_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023746771_thumb.jpg

Cheer's Guy's,

She's on like Donkey Kong down here Gordo!! Mick's has really stepped up to the plate this year and is having a real crack, driving the wheels off it. Hopefully he will post some in-car...

Rear bar is 16mm Gareth, front is 20mm. I'll buy an adjustable rear bar when Shane want his back for the Hulk. I scored a set of rear arm's the same as yours from our friendly "Arms Dealer', they should be here this week. I'd like to try another degree of camber on the front as well. Kart track lap sprint is the next event, and will be a real test to see if it's handling better.

The first photo is two of the above zeds circa 1990...mine is at the rear.

Second photo...you can almost hear the LS!

post-1057-144023746876_thumb.jpg

post-1057-144023746886_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...