stevo_gj

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the input guys

I'm pretty keen on a chrome - trying to get away from the black and red colourscheme of the old owners

These bullet mirrors are being sold on Ebay for $40 each by MSA:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Chrome-Bullet-Mirror-Z-240Z-260Z-280Z-510-NEW!!-_W0QQitemZ370329239887QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ20100202?IMSfp=TL1002022010005r5564

They even have a pic of them installed in their Ebay ad on a red 280z which is making them verry tempting.

If your looking at chrome, then I wouldn't look at the last set on there from MSA. They are plastic which has been chromed. When I got my black ones they were quite shiny, took a fair bit of sanding to get the glaze off the surface. If they have chromed straight onto a black set then I can't see it lasting long. Try getting a metal set if you want it chromed.

;D WOW. Can anyone say snowball effect?

I bet your now thinking, how did removing a strip of black paint turn into a full respray?

I am having simillar thoughts about my car at the moment, however it is the mechanical side of things.

Haha yeah, I was trying to figure it out last night. My mate gave me a very good price on the whole thing which he has asked that I do not repeat, suffice to say it wasn't a great deal more than the original quote to remove the stripes and touch up a few areas.

It's being painted in 2pak (was acrylic) and my mate has chosen a similar red that will look good and that he could get for a good price. It's probably for the best because I don't have any information to help me choose which red I would want. I'll wait until I have serious rust work to do before I really think about changing the colour.

The rust condition was pretty good apparently, they had to cut and weld a bit of the dog legs but it wasn't as bad as it could have been. He's going to send me photos of the rust at some point.

If I get a chance I'll pop around tomorrow night, if not the weekend will be fine.

Now when you get the car back make sure you get anal with the washing (shouldn't be a problem for you ;) ) So 2 buckets, 1 with soapy water to wash with and 1 with just water to rinse the cloth before putting it back in the soapy bucket. No chamois or sponges, use a microfibre to clean, dry and polish.

Then we can go take some photos one weekend before you drive it into something ;)

Basically you don't want anything that can trap dirt. Also because the chamois is quite flat, you can put more pressure on the cloth, which = deeper scratches. This is being really anal and chamois aren't really that bad, you can even get microfibre chamois. But I just use a normal microfibre cloth for all stages and it works just fine.

So in the end you're just trying to minimise the amount of dirt you are wiping over the body and the microfibre seems to be the best at this.