Rota RB wheels have arrived

BenZed

Might be a fair bit of tyre stretch on the wall, I'd be interested to know if that size tyre fits? I've got a 17x8.5 front and I've put a 225x45 tyre on which was a little stretched but still worked nicely, they had to go through a few different brands in the same size before they found one that fit on the rim.

Sulio

Sulio:

I know 215s will go on an 8.5 rim.  I fitted 18x8.5s with 235x40s on the front of my 200ZR but I had a tyre rubbing problem. So I ended up fitting 215x35x18 - Nexen 3000s. No sidewall to speak of, but they went on!  I guess anything is possible.

The ride is a bit hard, but not uncomfortable. Tracks like a demon.

Before I fit the new 17s on the blue beast I'll measure everything twice!

Rgds, Wal.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sulio:

I know 215s will go on an 8.5 rim.  I fitted 18x8.5s with 235x40s on the front of my 200ZR but I had a tyre rubbing problem. So I ended up fitting 215x35x18 - Nexen 3000s. No sidewall to speak of, but they went on!  I guess anything is possible.

The ride is a bit hard, but not uncomfortable. Tracks like a demon.

Before I fit the new 17s on the blue beast I'll measure everything twice!

Rgds, Wal.

Ah goodo, Looking forwad to seeing some of these cars that have ordered these wheels. Should be some nice pics coming up over the next few weeks.

Cheers,

Sulio

• 4 weeks later...

Hey BenZed just wondering about the 16x7 and have you got the 16x8 in yet

just a question for you what size tyres do you run on both these rims

Pauly 8)

16x8s should be in some time in January.

I would suggest 195/55 or 205/55 front and 225/50 rear if you have 16x7 front and 16x8 rear.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well for reference - my old 240z road/race car had 298x28 VT front rotors and clearance was not a problem with the Rota RB-R 16x8 that I had on the car. I even installed the rims on a mates 240z race car which has 12.2x1.25 or 309mm x 32mm with a Wilwood type caliper (US Brake F88i = same spec and dimensions as the Wilwood Billet Superlights) and clearance was not an issue and in fact they almost cleared the 15x8 Rota RB's that I had also but the calipers fouled just a little so these would have worked with a smaller rotor ie 298mm x 32mm or 11.75" x 1.25" as the 12.2" were just a little too large for the 15" rims with the caliper on his race car - I am sure with a different caliper the large rotor would have worked in the 15" Rota's but 16" were not a problem at all. So you should be fine.

Hi guys

I was very interested on the Rota RBs as they just looked good and good value.  But after doing a bit more research on the net, I'm not so sure now.  They don't seem to have a very good reputation among the car enthusiast community.  The general concensus suggest to stay away from them.  And looking at other forums, there seems to be a lot of hard luck stories of Rota wheels breaking apart etc. to back their suggestion.

Has anyone had any bad experience with the Rota RBs?  I'm keen to know, as I really like them.

Below are just some of the pix that shows Rota wheels exploding...

img0193ir0.jpg

Before: The original wheel has straight spokes

pudbxi2v.jpg

After: Now they are bent by the engine power into the driving direction

smvvu3p6.jpg

The wheel hit the brake callipers at the marked points:

5i2hpoph.jpg

After: Now they are bent by the engine power into the driving direction

Engine power or braking force?

Looks nasty either way.

I had a set of "racing fear" wheels  made by speedy that, when i went over a moderate pothole it shattered all the spokes on BOTH wheels on that side of the car. Looked like the top pic here but it was both on the  passager side. I wasnt even going very fast. Alloy wheels can be very brittle - esp when using very low profile tyres that have little cushion.

I don't think the RB or the RB-R will have these issues. I say this as the design of the RB/RB-R is one that has more alloy in them, two they have more spokes, three are a lot heavier than rims shown in the pics. Remember the superlite look/style was designed in the 60's and these for years (and still today) are the choice of rim for rallies of all kinds.

I have seen a few rims centre ripped out here at our tracks in NZ most are these skinny type spoke design which the RB/RB-R are not.

• 3 weeks later...

We have had no issues with any of the Rota wheels we have sold in the last three years. I think these 'exploded' wheels are the result of damage to the back of the spokes, rather than weakness in the wheel itself. There is usually more to the story than the owner cares to admit in these cases.

On a lighter note, we have all of the RB sizes in stock again  :)

Stevo, I asked ben that question a while back

16x7 on the fronts 195/55 or 205/55

16x8 on the rears   225/50

Theres some pictures on here or HybirdZ with some zeds with them on

Hope that helps           

Pauly

Found some on HybirdZ

post-828-144023509325_thumb.jpg

post-828-144023509331_thumb.jpg

post-828-144023509337_thumb.jpg