1600dave Posted January 6, 2022 Posted January 6, 2022 (edited) I had my brother over for Xmas and got to talking about the good old days, as you do. One thing that came up was his old 260Z 2 seater, and what became of it ? Anyone know if it still exists or seen / heard of it ? Was originally Leaf Green (pale green metallic green), I resprayed it in Toyota Red Mica, a dark-ish metallic red. Engine bay was still green. White interior and wire wheels. Driver's door was mismatched, I think it had a 240Z one ?? We bought a door (I think it was from Z16 in Sydney ??) to replace a rusted one and had to go back to get window mechanism, etc, to make it work. Originally auto with an R200, was fitted with a late-ish Skyline 5 speed and an R180 when traded in at Kloster Ford in Newcastle somewhere around 1994. Not looking to buy it back or anything, just curious if it still lives. Although if its up for sale, more than happy to pay double what it was traded for ($4000)...... Edited January 6, 2022 by 1600dave sexual_sushi, gilltech and ScottyD 3 Quote
Administrators gav240z Posted January 7, 2022 Administrators Posted January 7, 2022 Photos of it would help. Quote
gilltech Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 So, red exterior with a green engine bay and a white interior... 240Z driver's door... wire wheels... that narrows it down for sure, anyone?... AFAIK it would have been unusual for an auto 260Z to have a R200 diff. Quote
C.A.R. Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 3 hours ago, gilltech said: AFAIK it would have been unusual for an auto 260Z to have a R200 diff. Both Auto and Manual RS30's & GRS30's had R200 diffs. Manual: 3.7 Auto: 3.54 ('74 RS30's - based on the late HS30 bodyshell - with Auto trans used the rare 3.36 ratio R200) gilltech 1 Quote
gilltech Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 (edited) My mistake , you're 100% right, I stand corrected, I looked it up and for the Australian market both auto and manual had the R200 all the way through to Aug.'76 and then both went R180. Not quite the same R200/R180 split in other world markets it seems, hence my confusion. Can't see the logic... As for the OP, any photos? Rego or VIN? Edited January 7, 2022 by gilltech Quote
1600dave Posted January 7, 2022 Author Posted January 7, 2022 (edited) No photos that I'm aware of, unfortunately. It looked like an immaculate stock 260Z with perfect body and paint from the outside. Next time I'm talking to my brother I'll ask for the rego. Doubt he would have the VIN. Most definitely had an R200, I replaced it with an R180 from a 240K when the diff packed it in and remember having to replace the moustache bar and halfshafts as well - I still had the R200 moustache bar till not long ago when I gave it to someone on here. And I still run the old R200 halfshafts in my 1600. I know its a long shot, but thought I'd ask on the offchance it was still around - thought being red with a green engine bay might make it distinctive, although that was near 30 years ago. This is the colour, looked really nice on the zed (well, better than the old green.....) Edited January 7, 2022 by 1600dave Quote
gilltech Posted January 7, 2022 Posted January 7, 2022 Nice colour! Well hopefully someone will recall seeing it around, distinctive enough, you never know your luck. Snap, when my RS30's R200 diff shat itself some decades back (nasty grinding noises, spider gears) I did the same, a R180 with halfshafts from an auto 240K at a wrecker was way cheaper than repairing the R200, and I kept it for several years until I got another R200 and swapped back. I didn't change the moustache bar, just installed longer mounting bolts and spacers as it was just supposed to be a temporary fix (!!!). The higher ratio was a bonus for weekend trips away. Quote
1600dave Posted January 8, 2022 Author Posted January 8, 2022 (edited) It was a nice colour, with just a small hint of metallic to it. Thought I'd have a look thru a few old photo albums for a pic of it today, couldn't find any but did come across a photo of the girlfriend's (now wife) KE55 Corolla. I liked the colour on the zed that much, I painted her car the same colour a few months after the zed was done. Of course, I took plenty of photos of that but none of the zed..... Edited January 8, 2022 by 1600dave gilltech 1 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.