Storage

XRQTR

I'm looking at  a few places at the moment to use for cars that I have to hold overnight or over the weekend but most seem either too small or too big for my needs so I thought I might see if anyone needs somewhere to store and/or work on there cars.

I have a few places in mind, mostly around the 400-500 s/m range and will be putting in a hoist at some stage for my own cars anyway, I was wondering if anyone might be interested in having somewhere safe and secure to store there cars as well as work on them. I figure most guys have an average garage which is cramped at best and probably have to leave another car outside to make the room.

Anyway just a thought as I said but any feedback would be good, obviously there would be a fee involved but this would vary depending on how long you might need the use of this facility.

Thanks

I would be interested, depending on location and cost. I currently have 7 cars stored in Clayton, and pay $10/week per car. If the cost was better than that, and secure, I would definitely up for it. I only need access about 3 times per year.

• Administrators

Sounds like a really good idea. I've thought about this a few times myself as has Sulio and another guy I knew called Kuan.

I'm sure you'll find some takers. If I was in Australia right now I'd probably jump on this, but for now my car is stored in the parents garage.

I would be interested, depending on location and cost. I currently have 7 cars stored in Clayton, and pay $10/week per car. If the cost was better than that, and secure, I would definitely up for it. I only need access about 3 times per year.

Is this indoor or outdoor?? $10 a week sounds extremely cheap I'd use that myself if I lived over that side to be quite honest, to be honest even most workshops charge around $10 a day for vehicle storage.

I know the commercial storage places charge around $80 a week for a car sized garage space but all you have is a garage not somewhere where you would have the use of a hoist as well as other workshop equipment and even a wash bay so you could have it clean before and after each outting. Of course I'm not looking to get that much but probably more around the $40/week mark which as I say I think would be reasonable when you put factor all the other perks into it, so it works out to the same as a casual gym user of just over $5 a day ($5.70/day to be more precise). I mean one single wash ata commercial wash could be as much as $15 and booking a hoist at a workshop anything from $70 a day to $70 an hour depending on how busy the shop is so I think it's more than reasonable.

Obviously this won't suit everybody as I am in the western suburbs so those over the other side would find it difficult to use, but as an added bonus for those looking at long term I'd even be willing to throw in a free tow for non going or non registered cars, that in itself could be anything up to $400-$500 for a return trip depending on where you are of course.

if you get enough interest i reckon look into a workshop

something that u can put a quite a few cars in

and just divide the rent between every1

get your hoist in there run the place as the Auszcar home base or work shop

you will probly even make some money from doin that

peter

I remember someone telling me recently about 3 young engineers from Ford in Broadmedows that rent a small factory out in the Nth Western suburbs somewhere. Each has his car with his own specific section fenced off. It works really well for them but I'm not sure what they pay.

The trick to this sort of thing is sorting out all the "gonnas" from reliable parties that will foot the rent long term. For XRQTR it will most likley be a split between running his business and storage so that might work.

Good Luck!

Sulio

yea i have a wkshop which was my late friens, rent is dirt cheap but now with only 2 of us fetches about 100 a f/n ea

used to pay less when it was 3. have 200sqm but mostly full of hoarded gear, which im trying to sell off in another thread, mostly Z cars, parts pieces etc etc, please have a look if youre interested in anything, but dont break my balls 4 postage.

Also have a spray booth next door for us to use for a small fee, 2 other hoist, z-racks for pulling chassis, car jig etc etc, all guys that work for themselves or do it as an afternoon night job to their already full time job.

We have a hoist, full engine cranes, 3 extra large bays with ability to store 11 cars when chokas, we are currently trying to get rid of alot of gear to enable us 2 to have a supersize bay where you can work on your 1 car and have the doors fully flung open and be able to have parts around you.

but yes you need ppl in it for the haul and not get behind in rent etc.

this is the hardest thing, all those full of crap d/heads with big mouths!!!

nat0

• Moderators

I'd be happy to pay a fee to use a hoist now and then and maybe depending on what work I need to do leave the car there for a week while its in progress. As we know some work ie removal of gearbox/diff etc working on the ground lying down makes me feel sick! I'd be more than happy to pay to save me from that! If you were to offer services to members, I would gladly offer my skills to help.

I've thought about having that option available but obviously it would be more expensive to do it this way, probably around the $80-$100 a day mark, but obviously this would change depending on how long you needed the hoist and how long it was just stored.

Say if you were to leave it their for a week or two then short term storage of say $80 for the week plus a small fee for each day using the hoist. Like I said I've thought about it but not really put much thought into what costs would be involved in doing it this way.

Anyway at this stage it's still something that I haven't committed to but figure it might help others out their that enjoy doing things themselves but don't have regular access to workshop equipment, so as you might have guessed I'm just trying to ascertain what might work best.