What Gearboxs Fit

C.A.R.

It seams people are getting a bit confused so I've copy & pasted from another post:

5 Speed Gearbox's from:

280ZX

240/260Z (775mm long)

240K Skyline

C210 Skyline

R31 Skyline (Bellhouseing needs changing)

S13/S14 Silvia/180SX SR20 & CA18 engine (Bellhouseing needs changing)

S1/2 Bluebird (S3/CA20 box's; Bellhouseing needs changing)

200B

240/260/280C sedans

These all fit, BUT they have different mounts & different internal ratio's & gear sizes.

There may be a bit of mucking about getting them to fit.

The early 240Z box is called a 71A (has the output flange at the back of the box).

Late model 240Z & 260Z is called a 71B box,

And the R31 skyline, R32 GTST Skyline & S13 (SR & CA) boxes are all called 71C's.

They are all just evolutions of the same box.

The only ones that WON'T be suitable are:

R30 Skyline

Stanza SSS

Any of the Datsun L4 4-speed boxes.

These gearbox's are around 660mm in length.

These are 'short' boxes & are not long enough.

The box's from the R33 Skyline & the 300ZX (Z32) will fit but require bellhousing modifications.

When fitting a 260Z gearbox into a 240Z, normally the 260Z shifter will hit the front edge of the centre console (due to the fact the 260Z box has a shorter extension housing.

This is how you get the 260Z shifter to come up in the correct position - heat it up with the Oxy torch & put a few bends in it!

18062010323.jpg

---------------------------------------------------

260Z Gearbox Ratios are:

1st:  2.906

2nd: 1.902

3rd:  1.311

4th:  1:1

5th:  0.864

Rev: 3.382

(Open for correction at this time!)

Speedometer Drive cogs:

YELLOW is the 16 tooth for the 3.36  Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S16

BLACK is the 17 tooth for the 3.54    Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S17

BLUE is the 18 tooth for the 3.70      Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S18

WHITE is the 19 tooth for the 3.90    Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S19

RED is the 20 tooth for the 4.11      Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S20

PURPLE is the 21 tooth for the 4.38  Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S21

HTH  ;)

• 1 month later...

awesome info there lurch, By chance, if anyone knows (or can measure) what is the lengths of the boxes? from bellhousing flange to output shaft flange?

i have a spare box that i suspect may be a short one, but dont know.

I only knew it was from a L series engine of some description.

I guess to add to it, if anyone does have actual gearbox ratios, it would be good to keep all in one thread, would make a good resource for selecting approriate ratios to suit particular applications.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a rare factory L6 71C box I know I have one :) it is from a Nissan Laurel C32 fitted with a LD28 so I have not found out the ratio's yet but it is a L6 71C from the factory ie no mods to the bellhousing required.

The partnumber for the front bellhousing on this box is 32101-49L07 and there is an alternative part-number listed as 32101-49L80

Only paid $80 for it too :) and do you think I can find another one :( the bellhousing part number shows it was only available on the C32 (Laurel) and F30 (Leopard).

I have not confirmed if this there was ever a 71C box fitted behind the last of the L20ET in the Laurel C31's etc, but I think these boxes were only available on the LD28 powered cars before the RD28 was used to replace the LD.

Saying of the day:

Do not disturb......already disturbed

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

There is a rare factory L6 71C box I know I have one :) it is from a Nissan Laurel C32 fitted with a LD28 so I have not found out the ratio's yet but it is a L6 71C from the factory ie no mods to the bellhousing required.

The partnumber for the front bellhousing on this box is 32101-49L07 and there is an alternative part-number listed as 32101-49L80

The local mechanic in Perth here has seen a few of these boxes on Z's he has wrecked. At the time he never thought anything of it and it the gearboxes were rubbish just threw them out.

When I was doing the 71C gearbox swap he swore blind that he had seen a box come off an L series with the larger bearing hole and skimmed face, good to know he wasn't mad cause in the last year he hasn't found another anywhere despite looking.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy these bellhousings? Would save some pain instead of modifying them.

• 5 months later...

The local mechanic in Perth here has seen a few of these boxes on Z's he has wrecked. At the time he never thought anything of it and it the gearboxes were rubbish just threw them out.

When I was doing the 71C gearbox swap he swore blind that he had seen a box come off an L series with the larger bearing hole and skimmed face, good to know he wasn't mad cause in the last year he hasn't found another anywhere despite looking.

Does anyone know if it's possible to buy these bellhousings? Would save some pain instead of modifying them.

hey???

It seams people are getting a bit confused so I've copy & pasted from another post:

5 Speed Gearbox's from:

280ZX

240/260Z (775mm long)

240K Skyline

C210 Skyline

200B

240/260/280C sedans

These all fit, BUT they have different mounts & different internal ratio's & gear sizes.

There may be a bit of mucking about getting them to fit.

The early 240Z box is called a 71A (has the output flange at the back of the box).

Late model 240Z & 260Z is called a 71B box,

And the R31 skyline, R32 GTST Skyline & S13 (SR & CA) boxes are all called 71C's.

They are all just evolutions of the same box.

The only ones that WON'T be suitable are:

R30 Skyline

Stanza SSS

Any of the Datsun L4 4-speed boxes.

These gearbox's are around 660mm in length.

These are 'short' boxes & are not long enough.

The box's from the R33 Skyline & the 300ZX (Z32) will fit but require bellhousing modifications.

When fitting a 260Z gearbox into a 240Z, normally the 260Z shifter will hit the front edge of the centre console (due to the fact the 260Z box has a shorter extension housing.

This is how you get the 260Z shifter to come up in the correct position - heat it up with the Oxy torch & put a few bends in it!

18062010323.jpg

260Z Gearbox Ratios are:

1st:  2.906

2nd: 1.902

3rd:  1.311

4th:  1:1

5th:  0.864

Rev: 3.382

(Open for correction at this time!)

Speedometer Drive cogs:

YELLOW is the 16 tooth for the 3.36  Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S16

BLACK is the 17 tooth for the 3.54    Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S17

BLUE is the 18 tooth for the 3.70      Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S18

WHITE is the 19 tooth for the 3.90    Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S19

RED is the 20 tooth for the 4.11      Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S20

PURPLE is the 21 tooth for the 4.38  Nissan Pinion Assy P/N: 32702-58S21

HTH  ;)

good info there Lurch , owners can use their satnav to determine exactely what they need

• 8 months later...

5 Speed Gearbox's from:

280ZX

240/260Z (775mm long)

240K Skyline

C210 Skyline

200B

240/260/280C sedans

In regard to the use of an r31 (rb engine) gearbox, how does the bellhousing swap over work?I have a L20 bluebird 5speed gear box is it just a matter of pulling the belhousings of both boxes swiching them over and bolting the box back together? if so whatcluch/flywheel business is there do you use rb30 or L series?

Any one know how strong blue bird 5speeds are? Relative to say an l28 manual box (280)?

cheers fellas

Bluey's and 280zx internals all same, maybe a few minor changes to casting patterns markings, and location of some swiches, ie fuel injection needs to know if you in fifth gear etc.

To use the r31 cluster with centreplate, extension housing assy into a L series bell housing to make it bolt to any L motor, a few things need to be done, drill top selector shaft hole to 16mm use emery to make smooth.

Prize off countershaft bearing on r31 cluster, as you need to use the smaller L series front countershaft bearing.

Behind this bearing is a circlip, holding a stepoed washer onto two tangs on the countershaft.

, i mount this onto a old dummy c/shadt in my lathe and turn it down on outside edge to remove the lip, as ypu need to get rid of lip to be less diam than the L series c/shaft bearing, you can grind it off by hand gringong wheel, it is not important, BUT it has to go back on, and ciclip put back. Push small diam bearing on, and fit L bell, presto the easy way to do it. If you in Brisbane i can have it all done quick as a flash!

I'll lob something in here to make it even more confusing Mwahahahaaa!

Now I'm no expert in this stuff but I've just had a 71C recoed and the 260 bell modified, god knows when it will end up in the car though.

While I was speaking to Stuart from SWM about the gearbox mount modification for this upgrade, he said that the year of your 240 will also affect where the stick ends up. Apparently the earlier cars (being 71) tunnel hole is further back than the later cars (72, 73), so yet another consideration.

I guess if you want to do a 71B/C change it obviously can be done, you will have a few mods to consider that are particular to your car/gearbox/console combo.

No it's not a thread on 71C conversions, it's a thread on "What Gearboxes Fit" and Camouflage simply asked if a 71C would fit...

Do whatever you like, I'm pointing out that different cars have different locations of their gearbox lever tunnel thingo hole lol, quoted by someone with more knowledge than most... Seems pretty on topic to me.

I have a large selection of gearsticks, approx 15, from various 71 boxes, A,B&C, they all have odd bends forwards, backwards, big bits of flats at pivot, and straight up.

The earlier 240 with a71a a longer box, the stick is straight, the later 71b the box shifter location was closer to engine, and to get stick i. Good psition, factory bented it back a bit. Some have S bends etc.

All nothing a bit of trimming a hole and screwing a bit of rubber flap wont fix

The factory competition option 1 2 3 boxes all had straight sticks, and a wooden knob, with a small silver metal button imbedded.