Dead Engine.

peter t

Hi I have just fitted triple Weber carbies and fitted new manifold gasket  etc.  All new carbie gaskets as well. Had it running ok and turned the car around in the shed and sorted the cold airbox out. Started it up to go for a run and had a small back fire now it will not start at all. Have got fuel, spark and did not alter timing at all but it is dead. Any help Thanks.

When you say it’s dead, as in won’t crank on the starter motor either?  Or it cranks and just won’t start and run by itself?

Have you still got the ram tubes inside the cold air box?

How long did you idle it for before this happened?

Edited by Roady

29 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Lose wire

Yep, maybe when you sorted out the cold air box you losened the wiring around the coil or distributor and the backfire jolted it enough to cut off power to one of these areas?

Edited by AndBir

45 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Probably just something small Peter . Lose wire , low fuel pressure or to high or it just doesn't like being parked next to the 370.  

Have you got time to come over mate. It has got me stuffed Almost time for a box of matches.

48 minutes ago, Bonkers said:

Probably just something small Peter . Lose wire , low fuel pressure or to high or it just doesn't like being parked next to the 370.  

The 370 is now good to go for a drive. Clutch all fixed Aub.

May want to keep the box of matches in your pocket . They would be all over us if you start lighting fires right now. Not looking good for the eastern sea board as far as fires for next few days at least.

I see what I can do for it, mate.

What sort of distributor do you run Pete? 

When I used to run a mechanical points one, it failed once but still would show spark using the screwdriver test. Just sometimes when the snapped points would make/break but had me fooled.