What are these brackets for?

Bobby

Hello. I was hoping someone would know what the three brackets are for up in the top of the front wheel arch and maybe the other longer one in closer to the engine bay.

All are shown in my two photos.

Thanks.

P1100185.JPG

P1100186.JPG

tenor.gif?itemid=7178438

*cough*
They are the guard support mounts - they have foam rubber glued to them to support the guards.
If they weren't there and you lent on the tops of the guards, you'd dent them...

Edited by Leonard™

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Bobby said:

Thanks very much Leonard for your time.

I assume it would have to be some sort of tar impregnated foam so as not to promote corrosion. And fairly dense too.

I will look around for something suitable.

Correct, Autolac in Sydney is good for that sort of stuff.

http://www.autolac.com.au/

Try Clark Rubber, they have closed cell rubber strips of various thicknesses. Attach with some 3M rubber adhesive.

Ditto go to Clark Rubber for the good stuff. Avoid the rubbish rubbish window/door seals sold at hardware stores which claim to be closed cell when they're actually still porous.

As advised above they are expanded rubber pads that the guards rest on. Similar deal with the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen.

BTW your front 3 brackets are all somewhat dented, hopefully the LH side is better so you will know how to straighten them, they should be flat on top.

Edited by gilltech

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Gilltech,

Thanks for that comment about the support bracket. I assume you are talking about the hollow where the rubber would sit. I have put both mudguards on ready for going back to the panel beaters so I will straighten them out when we remove the guards at the panel beaters.

As for your comment about the scuttle panel in front of the windscreen there is no sign on my car where they may have been.

Can you describe exactly where or do I just put something near the centre for support?

I feel all the previous owners must wear a blue and white stripped apron as all I have done for the last four years is fix stuff ups and now rust that even the panel beater says was "well hidden".

31 minutes ago, Bobby said:

Can you describe exactly where or do I just put something near the centre for support?

Here is a photo of the original "foam" sheet they used to stop the scuttle panel from (I presume) "rattling" on the metal underneath.

Replacing this with some thin strips of closed cell foam rubber in the area where the metal surfaces would contact (as shown by the staining on the white foam sheet) should be the best solution.

IMG_2896r.thumb.jpg.11845810ab7c373579a35110bf910a29.jpg

Your photo shows the flat bracket that supports the scuttle panel, next to the aperture cut-out at the lower end of the picture. Except yours looks pushed downwards somewhat hence why your scuttle has been touching the body between those two apertures and the flaky contact rust.

Pull/lift the bracket back up into shape and, just as for the guard supports, glue on a closed cell foam strip (from memory about 9mm thick) and you're good to go. Or for that matter whatever thickness you need to assist panel alignment with the top of the guard.  There's no central bracket, just that one at each end. The scuttle panel is supported by the metal tabs that tuck into plastic sleeves in slots below the windscreen and the four screws at the front leading edge.

I wouldn't replicate that large white Nissan pad on the underside of the scuttle panel as it encourages rust, hence why so many Zed scuttle panels are rusty in that area on the underside, sometimes they're bubbled or even rusted right through.

Edited by gilltech

Hello Gilltech,

That photo above is not my car. That was AndBir showing me what he had.

But between his photo and your advice I will be able to put it back together correctly when I start rebuilding after the panel beater has finished.