Stubborn Tie-Rod Ends

PeterAllen

Spindle pins are no problem for me but the tie-rod ends are proving too stubborn. Has anyone used a suitable puller, e.g. pitman arm puller to help release? 

When I was building the car I tried to remove the ends with the suspension off the car but gave up and left them on as they were not worn. Now that I've lowered the car I need to fit alternatve arms but they still won't budge. I've tried soaking in penetrating oil (vegtable oil and acetone) for days and belting the tripe out of the steering arm but no joy. 

I haven't used a pickle fork as I don't want to damage the boots.

Any suggestion for a puller or technique? Thanks

I don't want to go down the same path as this chap!

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/647514-removing-very-stubborn-tie-rod-ends-how.html

Edited by PeterAllen

• Moderators

Hi

I have always used a ball joint seperator and have yet to find one it can't seperate.

On the odd occassion have had to crank up the pressure then leave it for a while, then add a little more.

If you haven't tried one I have recently purchased a new as the old one went walkabout - Happy to lend it to you, but I won't be in the shire until friday 18/11 at the earliest.

post-102365-0-70722600-1478775370_thumb.jpeg

Edited by PB260Z

Sounds like a bit of moisture has gotten into the taper.

If the screw seperator is not able to do it,

Then a pickle fork is the answer, but, put some steering lock on, get the steering arm and rear tension rod in as straight a line as possible, and hold pickle fork in same straight line. Hard sharp decent whack.

Put a lever of some kind between the tie rod and the steering arm, hold some downward pressure on it and smack the steering arm end with a decent hammer and it will come off......in all my years this never fails and Ive never had to use a tool.

• Moderators

Peter, thanks, I'll take you up on that offer.

Have you used that device on a Zed?

No worries, and yes I have used this new one a Z, worked a treat.

I will be in the Shire next Friday so will be in touch then.

Cheers

PB