Valve cover sealant

Enzo

Hi Guys,

Question for the technically minded. ;) Does anyone know what is the hard setting sealant used inside the valve cover to seal the plate over the inside of the breather tube. It is hard setting, used as a sealant and also covers the plate screws to stop them coming out I presume. Forty years latter the heat and oil have not affected its integrity. I am modifying a valve cover and need to find something similar in quality.

Thanks in advance

David.

G'day Peter, where can one get Devcon from please. In the process of putting a tappet cover back together also.

Regards: Alan.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old topic.

David did you end up using Devcon or another type of sealant? I am restoring a spare old tappet cover and have removed the steel plate to get to the sludge underneath.

Edited by WA240Z

Sorry to dig up an old topic.

David did you end up using Devon or another type of sealant? I am restoring a spare old tappet cover and have removed the steel plate to get to the sludge underneath.

I know Devon is made from lips and bum holes and you wouldn't feed it to your dog but I've never heard of using it as a sealant. Mind you it wouldn't surprise me if it worked.

Hello,

I ended up using (No.1 gasket sealant) as it is hard setting and will handle up to 400 degrees.

You should be able to buy from your local auto store.

Happy motoring.

David.

http://www.loctite.com.au/3320_AUE_HTML.htm?nodeid=8802635415553

Devcon is a product that I have used in the past for other jobs (non-automotive) but have now stopped using it. Armagrout is better.

Devcon has a shelf life. When it gets too old it will still mix and go hard as it should. But after a month or so it starts to go soft in the middle. :)

• Moderators

Haha, nice pickup on my spelling. Have corrected. You might be right and its worth giving it a go.

Haha

What ever you call it - Devon, Polony or Fritz, it could make for an aromatic engine bay when hot.