Building a rotisserie

Minestrone

I need to build a rotisserie but I have no idea where to start. This is for my 2+2.

I have someone who will do all the welding for me so I'm mainly after plans. I've searched around the site and while I see that many members have built their own, I don't see any plans anywhere.

Could anyone help out with plans and materials lease?

Thanks in advance.

Pics weren't loading for me before and I thought given the date the thread was posted that they probably weren't working anymore.

Thanks.

EDIT: Would it be OK to mount the car using the existing bumper mounts? It will be a bare shell until suspension is put in then it will be on the ground again.

With regard to the mounting of a Zed on a rotisserie, the Dadson team had a minor problem with mounting their car onto a rotisserie that might be worth considering. Fortunately they they have documented and photographed the problem if you want to see what happened and what they did to remedy the situation.

Page 4 Post 48 of the Dadson Revival Thread 

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php/topic,6991.45.html

The rotisserie I referred you to has been copied many times and proven to work with 2 seaters and 2+2s (peter T).

I didn't use the front bumper points as I thought the protruding panels on which they are located might not have good lateral strength, i.e. when the shell is a 90 degrees, so I designed the brackets to bolts along the front frame rails. Now that I realise the front is so light - you can lift it with one hand - I think to use the front bumper mounts would in fact be okay. I would also note those panels which protrude from the radiator surround are often damaged and mounting on the bumper point may make working on them difficult.

Mounting off the rear bumper points is okay.

Remember to have the axis of rotation 75mm above the bumper mounting points and the car will be perfectly balanced.

Standard engine stands ($40 eBay) need a 300mm insert in the vertical member to give you the right workable height and to clear an 8 foot ceiling with fluor light.

(edit) the screwdriver can be either flat or phillips head.

post-684-144023748747_thumb.jpg

post-684-144023748753_thumb.jpg

post-684-14402374876_thumb.jpg

Well

I've drawn up plans for the one I built and Lurch welded it up in about 2 hours, ordered all the pieces pre cut and delivered.

Happy to share the plans and materials list.

Cheers

John

post-1356-144023748782_thumb.jpg

post-1356-144023748799_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

Hi,

Does anyone in Melb have a rotisserie that they're no longer using that they can sell/lend me ?

If not, where  do I get the square sections from at a good price - i might give it a go with the 2 x engine stands

Also, is a 140 Amps mig enough to weld it all up?

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

i've never seen engine stands on ebay for $40. minimum $75 new (unless you count the 3 wheel version)

The 3 wheeled ones seem to be what everyone uses.