New cylinder head project

Xnke

Done a bit more work on the exhausts in the last few days; got tomarrow off work, then work two days, then off two, weekend, off one, work four...going to be hectic.

All the valves are machined, need to clean up the backs of the valves and oil them till I'm ready for them. Tomarrow is a trip to the shooting range, get to blow off some steam and relax. I shoot 400 and 600 yard target matches about three times a year; so the highly structured practice helps with relaxation.

I can definitely confirm this, I know that engine went to a guy by the name of Jack Kuzior who I haven't seen or heard from in years now. I recall him talking about the custom head re-drilling and cooling mods due to cylinder #5 (my memory here) getting hot under the collar. The head was N42 casting.

This is the car the engine was in last I knew of.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_108383/article.html

His name is Jacek but people call him Jack, I remember (about 17 years ago). his engine was on the floor of Steve Newings shed and Sinisha's car was in there with L28 still in it .That yellow car was meant to be mine, I went to by the shell and an engine package from him, I made the mistake of getting excited about the rare shell and then he back flipped, kept the shell for himself and tried to tell me he was doing me a favor because it wasn't worth doing up. So I ended up with complete engine and drive line and nothing to put it in, man was I pissed!!! I remember him saying he would never put a G-nose on a Z, when I saw that autospeed article I thought  ???   

Porting updates:

Exhaust ports are finished, will get a final 120 grit finish before the flowbench and will get polished after. I have one intake port roughed in at 37mm, finished port will be 38mm.

Progression of an exhaust port:

IMAG0591_zpsa4b3e4c7.jpg

IMAG0593_zpsb0838aa8.jpg

IMAG0596_zpsb6491a5d.jpg

IMAG0600_zps646a2f59.jpg

Good shot of a finished port:

IMAG0595_zpsfca6a5a6.jpg

IMAG0602_zps22de1328.jpg

I swear this port isn't as wonky as it looks...the port floor is level with the deck surface. I went and checked twice after taking this photo.

IMAG0601_zps1e557477.jpg

It's a known good template set that I am working from, the flowbench is just to equalize the ports. Even though the ports are worked to match a template, it's possible to have them off as much as 30CFM from each other.

Yep. That's why I'm trying to find a flowbench to balance them out!

I'm not THAT good...I don't get to do this every day. Every couple months I do a few single-cylinder and two cylinder engines, sometimes a set of VW heads. I have done datto heads a LOT, but it's a cut-and-try thing. As it is, I use templates to match the ports up as close as I can get them, but even then I have a long way to go before I can really skip a flow-check.

The exhaust ports I have pretty damn tightly matched, volume and shape wise. Each port matches the templates within 0.040", and that's just one port that is out that much...the rest are half that out. One of the combustion chambers has a small casting error, the exhaust valve seat is a little closer to the chamber wall than the others, and the intake is a little further away. Can't move them as much as I need to...the port wall would get into the valve seat area. I'd need to go to a slightly larger valve to get the seat pushed out enough. If this was a race car...I'd already have fixed the issue.

It's not a race car...it's my daily driver, that I've been without for nearly a month now. I'm getting impatient and it's getting harder to convince myself that close enough is not close enough.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bit of mixed luck this afternoon!

I missed a buy of a 1976 Toyota RA22 Celica by fifteen minutes...the car sold for scrap metal to a dealer. I have called said dealer trying to throw money at him to get it before he crushes it.

BUT! I found a local flowbench and slapped the currently-37mm-ish ports on it, and did a little flow work! This is with what's left of the old valve job, on used, but clean, stock-sized valves. I lapped the valves in to get them to seal up closed, but that's about it. The top angle of the 3 angle job is still there, but a lot of the bottom angle isn't or is modified from the die grinder.

Lift - Intake Flow

.1 - 62.4

.2 - 117.1

.3 - 157.8

.4 - 199.1 (FIGJAM!)

.5 - 214.1

Lift - Exhaust flow

.1 -- 51.4

.2 -- 80.3

.3 -- 102.1

.4 -- 128.8

.5 -- 134.1

Not too bad! I have no idea how this compares to a stock port; as I don't have any heads with stock ports except a Maxima N47. I also have no idea if this bench is padded/accurate/garbage...it's an old garge-built unit that seemed pretty consistant, though. I was getting very close to the limits of the bench, I had the air valve wide open to get the full 28"WC for the upper end of the intake flow. A guy in the back of the neighborhood has it, but he's moving out this week. I saw it in his garage and asked if I could borrow it for a few minutes. An hour later, I was done and helped him load it into his moving truck.

I asked...he didn't want to sell. I have a very good idea of how to copy it though...

IMAG0611_zpsaf858aee.jpg

That's a finished intake port, The flow at 37mm was good enough that I blended the roof and sides into the 38mm intake manifold and called it done. The head goes to the machine shop for a proper valve job, S3S, and a second pressure test to make sure this one isn't cracked or ported badly...It happens.

• 2 months later...

Got the head back on the car, took a little vacation and hoping this saturday/sunday I'll have enough time between painting a motorcycle and racking some homemade wine to get the oil and filter changed, and get the new head/cam run in and the lash settled out.

After about a month, I'll get the super back on and we'll go see how the cool September air treats this dogged out transmission before I swap in the beefed up FS5W71E still sitting in my garage floor.

Looking good there. I wonder if its conceivable that maybe a few guys around the world came up with the same result and didn't tell every one. Its not a new engine and Im sure more than one porter has cut one of these heads into sections to see whats inside