Dadson Racing: 2010 Revival

Is it worth pulling apart the rest of the motor for inspection?

You've read my mind Gareth... Well done  :)

I'll wait to see what the engine builders response is but I did raise this topic with Tuss yesterday.

I'm not an engineer but I do have some understanding of the differing strengths and properties of metals so considering this situation where the piston has come into contact with the leading metal edge of the head gasket which is in turn being compressed against the head my reckoning is that the softest component and therefor first to fail is the metal edge of the gasket but once that is fully compressed the energy generated has to be absorbed elsewhere, the next softest metal is in the gudgeon and big end bearings but the stress will be spread over the bearing surface reducing but probably not eliminating impact damage, the next softest is the piston which is showing signs of stress over a relatively small area, I cant accurately measure the damage depth without removing the piston but I can feel it and let's not forget this is a race motor and any damage like this will reduce engine life.

P2011459_zps31946e4f.jpg

My other concern is con rod damage, even though this is the strongest component above the crank we had to replace a bent one in the last re-build and it did not suffer impact.

I have mentioned in previous posts that this blog has helped in keeping me both motivated and focused and what I've just written is telling me this motor has to be completely rebuilt under warranty with all new parts.

Much more to come here.

Cheers

Dad

Hi All

The engine builder visited Tuss yesterday where he was presented with both the head and gasket, he was unsurprisingly speechless at what he was presented with, he has taken possession of both the head and gasket to take measurements on the gasket and undertake tests on the head.

I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

Cheers

Dad

Have you determined what actions you want and from whom to put this right ?

Hi PB260Z and All.

That's a good and valid question and the current answer is I don't know.

When I removed the gasket and realized what has happened I was thinking the motor needs to be stripped, everything checked and any damaged/compromised parts replaced but following discussion with Tuss and his assurance that any stress would have been absorbed by compression of the head gasket I'm a little more relaxed but not entirely convinced that the compression has not compromised components further down in the motor.

While this has been going on Whittie (busy in the US) has been blissfully ignorant because the forum new post email alert hasn't reached him so it was only this morning when we had a Skype chat that he read this thread and updated himself, needless to say he is not a happy chappy and is currently about where I was initially.

This is the body of an email he sent me after that chat.

Just read the thread.

Piston compressing the gasket against the head, gasket fudgeed, head appears to be damaged from the pics similar to the piston damage which could impact the bore if not cleaned up.

Let's see what this guy says, but I think he needs to check and repair the head - it could be deformed at the edge of the bore which may mean new head. Then he needs to tear down the bottom end, new bearings, check rods for being true, replace pistons, rings and gasket.

Once he returns it to Tuss, before being started, someone else needs to pull it down to check it has been stripped and refurbished.

Clearly Whittie's not happy, we are not expert in this area but we know people who are so I will present this to three engine builders for opinion, if their opinion is unanimous that there is unlikely to be referred damage then I doubt it will go any further but without a unanimous result I think we will insist on a rebuild.

At the end of the day we've paid good money for a rebuild but have been given a defective product.

I have a feeling this is going to get rather interesting.

Cheers

Dad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I've done the rounds of three people I know who are expert engine builders and explained our situation to them all agree that the gasket issue should never have happened but the dizy drive fitted incorrectly was a simple mistake that's easy to make and fortunately simple to rectify, however the refaced rockers and colletts that were not skimmed to allow for reduction of clearance due to the amount of metal removed from the head and block were considered to be Zed specific issues that probably only someone with Zed experience would know about, I don't agree entirely with those views but I respect them.

On the subject of possible engine damage and responsibility the consensus view was that it's possible  there is no further damage but it is impossible to know without stripping the engine and checking everything and the engine builder should step up and do that.

The engine builder has had the head for just over a week now doing tests and reported to Tuss today that it's straight and true in fact completely undamaged, at least that's one little bit of good news.

I explained to Tuss that Whittie's pretty unhappy about it and wants the motor completely rebuilt with all new parts at no cost to us, I'm not sure that's a realistic expectation but I do understand his reasoning, I told Tuss about my research and feed back and said that because the engine condition is unknown the engine builder should at the very least strip it down and check it thoroughly, if he can demonstrate that there is no further damage then existing parts can be reused but any damaged components must be replaced, Tuss is on side with us and will advise the engine builder that the motor will be ready for him to collect next week.

Tuss has mentioned insurance a couple of times so I get the impression the engine builder has cover so I'm hopeful of a good outcome but only time will tell.

Cheers

Dad

Hi All

Over time we have collected various sets of wheels that we no longer need so the light weight three piece cob web wheels fitted with Toyo 888 tyres are looking for a new home but I've decided that because they're looking a bit tired I'll give them a birthday before we offer them for sale so first up I let the air out and removed the centers.

P1011494_zps6ec34d8e.jpg

The centers were fairly stone chipped so first up they got a coat of paint.

P1011497_zps86218097.jpg

P1011500_zps284f09f3.jpg

P1011499_zps52615d9f.jpg

I also had the wheel bolts re plaited.

P1011510_zpsfbdfce35.jpg

I removed the remnants of wheel weights then hand polished the inside with trusty old Brasso and removed any residue with prepsol.

P1011512_zps9573f192.jpg

Next was removal of the old clear coat, it's interesting to note just how yellow it turns over time.

P1011513_zps73998390.jpg

With that done it was time to attack them with Brasso and my drill.

P1011514_zps30166fb7.jpg

Here's the polished rim alongside the next one to be done I just need to put a coat of clear on it then reassemble it.

P1011517_zps3ae63b00.jpg

I've put the center in place to show how it will look when finished.

P1011520_zps01433ec3.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Hi All

Tuss is down one staff member so couldn't fit the Zed in to remove the engine last week but hopefully it will be done this week, in the mean time I've got a bit more done on the old race wheels so now they're painted polished and lacquered and looking for a new home.

P1011531_zps477aac69.jpg

P1011533_zps8bead395.jpg

P1011535_zps273518e0.jpg

P1011536_zps0bf01742.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Hi All

I took the car to Tuss today the motor is out and the car's back home again, the motor should be ready to be refitted in about a week.

When I got to Tuss's workshop I noticed the head sitting on his bench which I thought was odd because the engine builder will need it, I don't know exactly what has transpired between Tuss and the engine builder and Tuss isn't saying but I'm thinking Tuss has totally lost confidence in him because he said he will be stripping and rebuilding it himself so he knows it's right this time.

Here's the head good to go.

P2011546_zpsf3fd46a0.jpg

This is the plug with the tell tale lead patch that melts when the engine is seriously overheated, even though we lost coolant twice the fact that this remains intact shows that the motor didn't get dangerously hot.

P2011547_zpsffc0ae89.jpg

While the engine is out I'll be able to do a detail clean and remove all residual oil and coolant film.

P2011548_zpsf79cf56e.jpg

Tuss's mechanic was beaming when I collected the car he said I'd made his day being able to work on such a beautifully restored car, I know exactly how he feels.

Home we go.

P2011549_zps1145607b.jpg

Just like to state how I enjoy your detailed posts.

Content is interesting and informative. Thanks,

Hi PeterAllen

Thanks for your feedback, sometimes I think I'm going on a bit too much and occasionally the thread goes off topic a bit but while I believe you and others are enjoying it and there remains a story to tell I'll keep telling it.

Cheers

Dad

Might be time to put an entry in to this guy:

http://www.motorplex.com.au/2014/10/jordan-adds-mv-muscle/

Elite tent would be pretty nice - worth an email I should think.

We've missed the boat on this one the best shot at getting into the Elite tent would have been this year but the car wasn't ready in time and while the car is still looking great the competition scarring it's carrying although minor will knock it out into the paddock and oblivion.

Following our entry in this event a few years ago with the Zed and the Supra my Motorvation to enter again is less than zero, I came away from the event convinced that we were not welcome and our entry was only accepted to make up the numbers.

As a result of comments both overheard and made directly to me by officials, fellow entrants and spectators I'm convinced there combined attitude is that this is a V8 show and if you're not V8 powered they'd prefer you don't enter, if your car was made outside the US or OZ they'd prefer you don't enter, if you car from Japan definitely don't enter but knowing all that if you still insist on thrusting your entry money at them they'll take it to make up the numbers but they'd prefer you don't enter.

This is my lasting impression of this event, no doubt others will have a different view but I haven't been back and have no intention of doing so, I would rather take the car across the country and enter a NDSOC or similar event where I feel welcomed.

Cheers.

Dad

• Moderators

As a result of comments both overheard and made directly to me by officials, fellow entrants and spectators I'm convinced there combined attitude is that this is a V8 show and if you're not V8 powered they'd prefer you don't enter, if your car was made outside the US or OZ they'd prefer you don't enter, if you car from Japan definitely don't enter but knowing all that if you still insist on thrusting your entry money at them they'll take it to make up the numbers but they'd prefer you don't enter.

This is my lasting impression of this event, no doubt others will have a different view but I haven't been back and have no intention of doing so, I would rather take the car across the country and enter a NDSOC or similar event where I feel welcomed.

Cheers.

Dad

Neanderthal Knuckle Draggers ?

Neanderthal Knuckle Draggers ?

I wasn't going to say that but they do train their kids young, here's an incident that impacted me on a couple of levels but gave me a good belly laugh that still resonates today.

To set the scene, we displayed our cars as part of a club display out in the paddock which is usually the parking area for the Motorplex, it's a grassed area with bitumen access lanes, the displays were set up within a designated space on the grassed area, each club had to create a theme on which they would be judged, driving results would then be added to ultimately decide a winner. (our club took it out regularly)

One busy morning I went walking around the one way paddock display to check out our competition and walking down one lane I spotted a couple of very young boys that looked to be about 10 years old holding a placard and some 5 meters further on were another couple of kids of about the same age also holding a placard, nothing surprising about that but here's what was on the placards.

SHOW US YOUR TITS

IF YOUR NOT GUNNA SHOW US WHY DID YOU BRING EM

Cheers

Dad

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I know this is a bit off topic but 30 long exhausting hours after leaving Perth Mum and I finally slipped into Whittie's Dodge at Houston airport and tightened our seat belts for the final low level flight of our journey, once at Whittie's new home for the next 24 hours we attempted to sleep off the jet lag but at 6.00 am this morning it was time to get back into Whitties Bad Boy Dodge and head for Austin.

P1011550_zps5a38f555.jpg

The last time Whittie and I were together at this time of day we were on our way to Northam for the Round The Houses event earlier this year.

P1011553_zpsc745cad0.jpg

Austin is about 2.5-3.00 hours drive from Houston we did it comfortably in 2.5 and found our accommodation quite easily then as arranged we left the car there and walked into town to catch a shuttle bus to the track then set about finding our seats in the stand at turn 15 just as the now comparatively hard to hear F1 cars hit the track for FP1, our seats were the last two together that were available when we booked and are about half way up the stand but the best F1 viewing is always top row so as the stand was only half full today that's were we went, most F1 spectators get to see between one and three corners at most tracks but this one has been designed to allow for more and here's some of what we could see.

P1011555_zpsc8932c6d.jpg

From the top of our stand there is clear view to the rear to turn one which is a sensational hairpin corner, here's a pic of some of the 35 strong Ferrari support race field.

P1011568_zpsc55b8b07.jpg

We all know this is a dangerous sport and the emergency services are always on standby but we found one we really weren't expecting.

P1011575_zps4c298de5.jpg

Because Friday is usually a quiet day on track and spectator numbers are low we decided to walk up to turn one to see what the view was like from there, here's what we saw on the way crossing the bridges at the turn straight after our stand where you,re not allowed to stop and take pics so have to do it on the fly.

P1011578_zps2f57be35.jpg

P1011580_zpsc1f98b80.jpg

Once at turn one we couldn't quite believe what we could see, with clear views of the start/finish straight, the pits, turns one and two and panoramic views of much of the track, this has to be the best GA F1 viewing in the world

P1011581_zps7d6e5559.jpg

P1011584_zpsb023928b.jpg

P1011591_zps572cfd77.jpg

After a full day at the track we headed back to town for few drinks and dinner before settling in for a good nights sleep in preparation for a big day tomorrow but wouldn't you know it, it just happens to be Halloween and Austin being a University town is by nature also a Party Town as we were about to find out.

It was like the whole town got into character in a way I've certainly never seen before and it was good fun but the most amusing thing of all to me was sitting in a bar listening to a white guitar band doing sensational justice to some Hendrix music and I couldn't help thinking that we are in Red Neck KKK territory and what they might have wanted to do to Hendrix in his day.

P1011594_zpsf99be022.jpg

P1011604_zpsff13d34d.jpg

P1011599_zps0c4249a2.jpg

P1011595_zps42001a9c.jpg

P1011602_zpsd35c454c.jpg

P1011603_zps2f5507c8.jpg

Cheers

Dad

Hi Y'All

We have had just the best Weekend topped off by Dan Ric taking third today.

We got to the track early because Whittie wanted to try his hand at the F1 simulator of Circuit of the Americas but didn't want to spend hours in a queue so he was in the second group of the day and on a machine and track he's never used before came second behind a serious gamer which won him a second round so he switched to the gamers machine that the guy had set up and one his heat which gave him a shot in the large simulator and he finished just outside the top ten for the weekend so far and was tempted to line up and go again but buy then the line was over an hour long so left it at that but at least he felt that he had driven the circuit and as crazy as it sounds I was standing behind him and leaning into the corners on the screen.

P1011657_zpsc70af490.jpg

I guess we know everything's bigger in Texas and certainly some are but lots of thing are just different, here's a few things I spotted.

Big money chilling in the car park.

P1011613_zpsc5a670d7.jpg

P1011614_zps9696ed86.jpg

Big Circuit, that really is up with the best in the World.

P1011719_zps8dfc2917.jpg

Big BBQs

P1011665_zps5b7cd10b.jpg

Big Dunnies and Big Mouthed Women.

P1011662_zpsea60e5da.jpg

Is Mrs Mac responsible for this?

P1011608_zps7cbd882b.jpg

P1011609_zps72da1ace.jpg

At F1 time Monaco has has a harbor full of Yachts with tender boats but Austin has a camp ground full of Motor Homes (Road Going Yachts) with tender vehicles.

P1011668_zpsc19750f8.jpg

These are lovely people but I really was taking the piss.

P1011720_zps02d2d489.jpg

When we took our seats for the support races the stand was barely half full so we went back up to the top and warmed some empty seats, eventually the ticket holders arrived so we decided to go up to the top disabled level and try our luck, we made ourselves at home and security didn't seem to mind but then once again the ticket holder turned up so we moved a few seats down the line where we stayed for the rest of the day, best seats is the house with clear view of 2/3 of the track and big screen.

Here's some of what we could see.

P1011658_zps6155d5d5.jpg

P1011659_zpse4558f74.jpg

P1011631_zps18ab2345.jpg

P1011633_zps7f4a90f8.jpg

P1011646_zps6efb8d63.jpg

So we sat there and enjoyed a thrilling race with as good a result as we could reasonably expect.  The organizers had been promoting an post race track walk so Whittie and I thought it would be pretty cool to walk the track but figured that if we tried to do it in race direction we probably wouldn't get past the pit straight so decided to do it backwards from were we were at turn 12, we joined the crowd heading for the track but when everyone turned left for pit straight we turned right, we felt just a little bit naughty but could see a couple of people ahead of us so continued but it didn't take long for the long arm of the law to catch up with us starting with the people in front.

P1011669_zps1ecbdc99.jpg

P1011670_zps2195f254.jpg

The good people ahead of us headed the warning and left then it was our turn and I figured our accent would keep us out of trouble and I suggested to the main guy that all we were doing was the advertised track walk and he said "we've been sent out to clear the track please don't kill the messenger" at which time I was about to drop one of my favorite one liners (ok Boss, I be good nigger) but fortunately I thought better of it and we waved them goodbye as we climbed over the armco into the marshal and emergency vehicle lane and continued on our way the Cops left thinking there job was done so with them out of sight at the next opening we reentered the track and continued our walk.

Whittie was a bit concerned that someone else might come for us and I said what's the worst they can do, put us in a vehicle and take us back, he relaxed and we kept on walking.

Turn 11 where braking starts a touch before the 50 meter marker and Dan Ric was back on the gas before the apex.

P1011671_zpseaaa0fd4.jpg

P1011673_zpsd1d8adab.jpg

P1011674_zps905ade9a.jpg

From turn 11 through the esses heading back to turn one.

P1011675_zpsd50bdd64.jpg

P1011676_zps7982c0b7.jpg

P1011680_zpsc7cc354a.jpg

P1011681_zpsd2d6ba71.jpg

P1011682_zps603d01ec.jpg

P1011684_zps7516bae5.jpg

P1011685_zps1086bb62.jpg

P1011686_zpsa8414634.jpg

P1011687_zpsc3bff11f.jpg

P1011688_zpse6c6aa70.jpg

P1011690_zps57df27b1.jpg

Here we are at turn two heading up to turn one.

P1011692_zps1baa80f5.jpg

P1011697_zps01befd14.jpg

P1011700_zpsacf9fce5.jpg

Sadly all good things must come to an end.

P1011698_zpsa12b05dc.jpg

P1011702_zpse337393b.jpg

P1011703_zps5c409beb.jpg

P1011704_zps9ba67080.jpg

P1011708_zps0bcd5107.jpg

This was a good result and in case you're still in doubt, yes we had a lot of fun.

P1011714_zps4809573b.jpg

P1011711_zpsa11c52d6.jpg

Bye Y'All

Dad

Hi Y'All

After a truly memorable weekend we cruised back to Houston on Monday morning, it was a really comfortable ride as the big Dodge closed four cylinders down on cruise with no noticeable effect on performance but a significant increase in economy and seamlessly reengaged them on demand.

The Challenger is by no means a super car but it does have more than enough HP for the daily freeway commute it can effortlessly break traction in a straight line and provide sideways action on demand.

Here's where it resides at "Whitties Ranch".  (everything in Texas is a ranch)

P1011723_zps47668d74.jpg

P1011722_zpscc3e6527.jpg

P1011724_zpsa5769099.jpg

P1011725_zps21f0799b.jpg

P1011843_zpsbb0139ea.jpg

The rear tyres having possibly done more rotations than the front were prematurely due for replacement and Whittie had the car booked in with a tyre dealer on Saturday morning so I went along for the ride, on the way there we passed a shopping center where some people appeared to be setting up an auto test course using painted white lines and witches hats so we decided to call in after the new tyres were fitted to find out what was going on and if it was an event we could possibly enter.

Turned out to be a promotion for the new 2015 Ford Mustang where the public are invited to drive the new 310hp 2.3L Turbo four and passenger in the 500+hp 5L V8.

P1011820_zpsdb44d17d.jpg

P1011818_zpsc1ab55df.jpg

P1011817_zps69c61c00.jpg

It looks like Ford have put a bit of thought into the design here, the dash is symmetrical and there is plenty of room under the bonnet to change things from wrong to right side drive.

This is the 4 cylinder Turbo.

P1011819_zpsd218610a.jpg

They weren't fully set up when we arrived so we hung around there and I got to talk to the boss man who turns out to be from Austin which is where we have just been and is married to a lady from Adelaide and he has just returned from a visit there which included time in the Barossa Valley and Southern Vales, as it happens I grew up in Adelaide and know those areas intimately so we became new best friends which was rather fortuitous because a requirement of the one lap drive was a current US drivers license which neither of us have but as a result of my new found friendship we got two laps, sadly with traction control engaged but even so we could feel that the car wanted to go.

Whittie thinks that the 4 cylinder turbo is a cop out and that the Mustang is a V8 brand but I'm a turbo fan and I don't mind it at all, I hope it makes it to Aus.

Here's some pics of the event,

P1011814_zpsca99f606.jpg

P1011812_zpsaff40d2d.jpg

P1011813_zps6dff8f20.jpg

P1011837_zpsc71cd75a.jpg

P1011840_zpsea7c3b95.jpg

P1011842_zps66afce69.jpg

P1011816_zpsce07f34c.jpg

P1011823_zps3f58d455.jpg

P1011824_zps26eb5980.jpg

P1011825_zps04068674.jpg

Another cool weekend.